Mobile telephones

Al_Fel

I've been an iPhone bitch for too long. I think its time to switch to android. I've got my eye on the Google Pixel 2 XL. I'm currently using an iPhone 8 and I don't really like it. It just seems like a fancy iPhone 6.

What are people experiences switching from apple to android?

Carphone warehouse had the Pixel 2XL for £550 but its gone back up to £799! I won't be paying full price for one.

My brother was interested in the Pixel 2 XL. I asked my friend who works at EE what they are like and he said they get bit a lot more returns than other phones for hardware related issues. He advised going for Samsung.

I can't speak for the switching process though, as I have been an iPhone user for years.

Very happy with my pixel 2. The pixel 2 and pixel 2 XL have two different manufacturers using different hardware.

Pixel 2 - HTC (i think) 

Pixel 2 XL - lg.

My girlfriend has a Samsung s9 and I don't think it is as good as the pixel 2. The Samsung software tends to crash alot more. Also the pixel 2 has a very clean interface, no bloatware unlike the Samsung. 

One last thing if you like the standard size pixel 2 don't be off out by the smaller capacity battery when compared to its larger rivals. The battery life is excellent im a heavy user and I still have charge by the end of the day (5am till midnight)

• Like 1

Hang fire until the shitty dip is gone, it wont be long...

This will be the new standard soon enough.

Batterylife is pointless to even look at nowadays, theyre all about ~ the same, degrading overtime is part and parcel. Specs are there abouts the same on most phones. Just unlike apple, the updates dont check for battery degradation to under-clock your phones performance.

Bloatware on samsungs is the worst thing about them, but you can flash a rom onto them if you have the knowledge to get stock android+. 

Dont even bother looking at sony, no one considers them worthwhile anymore in the tech world.

The headphone jack removal i think will be more and more regular moving fowards, until usb micro-c is the norm(imo) when it eventually gets standards.

The camera software makes the camera... iphones genuinely are the best out of the box settings.

Edited by TROYston

Also, if you want a decent phone, look into mid range.

Generally speaking, high end phones and mid end phones have largely same internal components (maybe the high ends have a teeny bit better, but nothing extremely note worthy), and the only things you are paying for is a name and gimmicks

I have a Note 8, just because I love shiny electronics, and I like the pen as a gimmick. 

A oneplus 6 which has really similar specs and nice display and everything you want in a high end phone, I would look at it if I were you

• 1 month later...

Arnt we due some new phones next month? could be worth hanging fire till the new ones drop anal? i imagine there would be a considerable price drop, im the same boat got my i phone 6s plus, i refuse to get a 7 or an 8 as it seems like the same phone, id love an X but im not paying that money for it. but i want somthing new for my money.

Im worried google are so new to the phone business have they really got it right already? over Samsung? Theres the underdogs like one plus and the Huawei p20 as well.. 

Wouldn't necessarily call them "underdogs" as such. I've been running a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro for the past couple of years, which at the time was similar specs to the latest Samsung except it cost me £110 outright. Looking to replace it in the next few months and will likely go for something similar.

Xiaomi, in particular, are effectively the Samsung of China (at least, they were the second largest phone brand over there again at the time) so it's not like they're just some random warehouse bolting together budget parts. I've been far more impressed by this phone that I was by any of my earlier Apple/Samsung/HTC/etc handsets.  Certainly not for everyone, in much the same way that iPhones have a lovely interface but don't tick all boxes for all people, but certainly don't rule out the foreign brands just because they're not so common over here (do make sure they operate on the right frequencies though!!)

I'd have no problems with a Pixl/other Google branded phone either - given the way the company operates they're not really in a position to throw out a POS unit in the same way some might. Not to say it's perfect, but given they build the Android OS they should be pretty well set to get it right.

Yep, Apple and Samsung have really got to the top based on good marketing, there's plenty of good alternatives.

I've had an HTC one M8 and then the M9 (Older models now) for my last two phones and they've been just as good if not better than the equivalent Samsung units.

My work phone is an iPhone and I don't like them, personally, though that's just my preference.

I went for the Pixel 2 XL. I really like it. It didn't take long to get used to and I do miss certain things from my iphone but I found the iPhone 8 to be laggy, slow and basically just a 6 with a glass back. I've been following a few youtubers who review phones and the Xiaomi Poco F1 looks like it could be a giant killer.

I'm not a fan boy of android or IOS I can see the pros and cons to both side's I think with android though if there's something you don't like about it there's usually a way to change it but you get what you're given with IOS. You get a lot more options when it comes to android phones which is a big one for me.

My opinion is Samsung make the best hardware, Google make the best software and Apple have the best user interface. If you could combine all 3 then you'd have the ultimate phone!

• Like 1

On 25/08/2018 at 0:58 PM, MadManMike said:

I've had an HTC one M8 and then the M9 (Older models now) for my last two phones and they've been just as good if not better than the equivalent Samsung units.

I had the M7 and M8  and was super happy with them. I would've had the M9 but my contract expired before the release and I wasn't aware it was coming!

Contract expires in a few months and hoping to get something HTC, this samsung is nice, but does feel fragile compared. My family and Jenny all have iPhones and I've never been impressed.

1 hour ago, Tom Booth said:

I had the M7 and M8  and was super happy with them. I would've had the M9 but my contract expired before the release and I wasn't aware it was coming!

Contract expires in a few months and hoping to get something HTC, this samsung is nice, but does feel fragile compared. My family and Jenny all have iPhones and I've never been impressed.

I'd say the M8 was better, maybe not in terms of spec, but it was built like a tank. I dropped it quite a few times and once even managed to drop it and kick it whilst fast walking - only a few little scratches on it!

If the tech wasn't out dated, I'd buy another one.

My phones always take a battering no matter how much i try to avoid it and the M8 was fantastic for that. I was super impressed with the battery, admittedly after 2 years it wasn't perfect, but held it's own against this year old samsung I've got.