Bmx Questions

BONGO

Don't think I'd be bothering with them Black Box's. I don't know how much a Big City is but I have one ont he rear that was a year old when I got it and it has been beaten sensless for about 6 months and still true and no dents.

They come in black and chrome. Chrome is advised for a lovely brake.

Edit: Link

Edited by Brisa

Ok, this one's for anyone who can do manual to 180's...how?! I'm getting really sick of watching BMX vids where they can do them so effortlessly! I simply can't get the appropriate spin without the front wheel on the ground. are there any tips to getting them other tahn simply practicing until I can do them?!

Cheers,

Dave

as your manualling, start to turn as if your gonna manual in a big circle, as your body drops to the side to start turning you wanna bunnyhop, but as your doing the hop, just before the back wheel comes off the ground, you wanna make it turn in a tighter circle so it flicks you around a bit more.

sorry if that more complicated than it needs to be, I am not the best at explaining moves

I need a bit of help buying some cables.

With u brakes you need two bits of seperate brake line one for the lever to that connector thing and then one form the connector thing to each brake arm. Well do the qody slic cables or any other brake cable set come with all the cables for me to sort out one brake.

Im going with bfr rims nice an cheap and triple walled and quite light, dont like suns stckers so will be ripping those off to give that stealth look also i wont buy anything wihtout eyelets hense choosing saun rims.

Now just for spokes that will be easy anything black

They are sound, big city's are better though, but just make sure you get chrome or your brake will be toilet.

Ok, this one's for anyone who can do manual to 180's...how?!

ok, you need to be able to manual, and turn. Once oyu can do this, presuming you are right foot forward, you want to manual round to the left, not too tightly. To do this you need more weight on your left side yeah...

when it feels comfy, lower down on your bike with your knee's, keeping your weight on your left shoulder to keep on the inside of your bike and the circle you are making. Pop out of the lower position hopping out twisting up to the left to do the 180. It's a major practice thing, and once you have done it once, or gotten close, you know what works and what doesn't. Just keep trying.

I'll try to get a vid up. I'll go film it in the back now lol.....

I need a bit of help buying some cables.

With u brakes you need two bits of seperate brake line one for the lever to that connector thing and then one form the connector thing to each brake arm. Well do the qody slic cables or any other brake cable set come with all the cables for me to sort out one brake.

So you are using single cable yeah???

You use a normal ody slic cable down to the straddle bridge, then you use 1 piece of cable, which clamps on one brake caliper, then loops up to the straddle bridge, and around back on the other side of the frame down to the other brake caliper.

john

is it possible to run a maggy on a bmx? and if so is it worth it?

i'd argue the point that it was worth it.

You would no doubt snap the hoses constantly, unless you had braided cables. Plus, a well set up U brake works stupidly well, and you can twat that as much as you like with no problems, and have a gyro.

john

Cheers Mr B it all makes sense now I have choosen my setup now to order it and Ill be using some plaz pads so braking will be grabbyish with modulation here and there.

Alans sent me big city rims at the price of black box rims so im not complaining and in a day which is shocking. I got them in black though with the intention of running the plaz pads and maybe putting a very light grind on, I just wanted blac kchrome looks so auwful and it wears aay and looks nasty

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a technique question for y'all:

I ride mini-ramp mostly, 'cos I find it's most fun for me. I hate the sound and feel of pegs though, and so I'm riding pegless. So far, I've got pegless smiths, and alley-oop 270 to opposite smiths. However, I'm just stuck with what else to do. I've seen Mike Aitken do some nuts peg-less icepick on a big subwall, but what sorta pegless stuff is there to do on mini-ramp, or should I just get over my hatred of pegs and put them back on?

Put your pegs on Mark at first there weird but once your used to them you can learn aload more tricks making your riding more enjoyable.

What is it you dont like about them? as ive never had anything against them.

i need some help choosing a rim, i'm going to buy an oddessey cassette hub, but i'm unsure of what rim is the best, my options are:

oddessey hazzardlite in chrome

oddessey 7 K-A chrome

Alex supra E chrome

or sun big city in chorme (i've heard that the chrome peels of quite quickly?)

secondly i'm running a shadow conspiricy chain, i know that they can't be run with a 9th driver, so could it be run with a 10th driver?¿

any help greatly appreciated :) <_<

i have the sunn rim its good but the chrome is crap it peels off quite quicky so i wouldnt bother with one

the odyssey rims arnt to amazing either well ive seen a few cases of them bronzing and unless there a good build there not up to much.

im not sure about the alex rim but i used to have a araya super 7x rim it was amazing the chrome is awsome and the rims light id defo buy another if i could find one it 36h.

i have the shadow chain on my 10tooth driver and it works fine it wasnt to smooth at the begining but that sorted it self out after a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'm looking to upgrade some bits, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas:

Stem - I'm currently running the stem that came on my Federal. It's OK I guess, but can't hold the bars for shit. I'd like another stem that had a similar design (it's not front loading, and it gives a slight amount of rise one way (so it's not level?), which is cool 'cos I want a high front end. Any suggestions?

Tyres - I ride ramp and street, and I'm looking for a new pair of tyres. I'm currently running V-Monsters, and they don't really do it for me. I'd like something a little thinner on each end (currently 2.10 and 1.95), just to make it a bit more lively. Again, any suggestions?

On the tyre front i really liked my odyssey paths lasted ages and had plenty of grip, ill be going back to them when my fly tyres die.

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=523

Stem wise all the top brand names will do the job its just finding one you can afford and like, the bmx stems dont give much of a rise at all compared to mtb stems. stem stackers would work aslong as you have a long steerer.

But if you are after a higer stem maybe the fbm bottleneck...

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=1100

If not maybe something a bit different like the odyssey elementary or fly malaga its the one im running and havent had a single problem with, just for that little bit more money.

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=1753

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=1755

Cheers Ben :D

Might be putting that all on hold anyway 'cos I'm tempted to go for a WTP Mono frame. Tried riding my brother's S&M Stricker when he was back and it just rode way nicer than my Foundation, as do most frames... The Foundation just sorta feels 'heavy' to ride, almost? It's pretty light full build, but it just rides heavy, which isn't so good... Was wanting a longer TT anyway, 'cos I'm 6'2" and a 20" TT feels a little short.

Thanks again though :P

Cheers Ben :D

Might be putting that all on hold anyway 'cos I'm tempted to go for a WTP Mono frame.  Tried riding my brother's S&M Stricker when he was back and it just rode way nicer than my Foundation, as do most frames... The Foundation just sorta feels 'heavy' to ride, almost?  It's pretty light full build, but it just rides heavy, which isn't so good... Was wanting a longer TT anyway, 'cos I'm 6'2" and a 20" TT feels a little short.

Thanks again though :)

Want to buy my WTP frame mark? 20.5 tt Speak to me on msn if you like.

Olly.