All Things 24"!

Tom_C

• 2 weeks later...

I need a new rear rim...

must be 36H and strong and not too heavy, but not a ryhno lite xl, dmr or atomlab

Was going to get a tioga DH, but can't get it in 36H

I have heard that the Onza Ronnie/Reggie are coming out in 24" any news?

been looking a mammoth dh's as they ain't too heavy in the 24" version

mike

Reggies and Ronnies are available in 24". 36 hole, drilled.

• 1 month later...

i heard that leeson are going to get 24" chrome odyssey hazzardlite rims in, is this true? i've also heard that he doesn't ship overseas! can anyone clear this up for me? aaaaaaand does anyone know the price? :P

ooh another thing.. does this.. lok alright for the rear?, the spec sounds descent.. "Downhill version has 2 ply construction, wire bead and STICK-E Compound for better grip" :)

i heard that leeson are going to get 24" chrome odyssey hazzardlite rims in, is this true? i've also heard that he doesn't ship overseas! can anyone clear this up for me? aaaaaaand does anyone know the price? :P

ooh another thing.. does this.. lok alright for the rear?, the spec sounds descent.. "Downhill version has 2 ply construction, wire bead and STICK-E Compound for better grip" :)

well i bought it, and it looks alright, nice tread pattern and a good volume, sidewalls aren't as thick as i was expecting :( but thicker than the DMR diggers, when i get my bike built up ill give it a thrashing :P(Y)

oh and the price is very reasonable aswell..(well at lest over here :P ) it retails at 25 euros, which is roughly the same as the DMRs

some photos...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

:)(Y)

feck knows... :P i'll have a butchers on their site..

EDIT: according to their site..."1275±70g" dunno what that little symbol means though...:unsure:

The ±70g means that the tyre weight could be 1275g, plus or minus 70g, i.e. between 1200 and 1345g.

Is there anything wrong with the DMR Moto style tread/tyres for trials us?. It's certainly more tarmac friendly than the Tioga DH type tires with their square knobs widely spaced, that buzz on concrete and fold over. Do they offer decent pinch protection & durability?

Spotted this beasty in my LBS. He reckoned he could do it for £15

Kenda "K-rad"

[attachmentid=3736]

Thanks for those suggestions!

It looks like there is a good range of similar tyres with this sort of streety tread. I've long thought that the tyres we tend to use for street trials should be more like this "joined blocks" style, both for smoother running and improved durability since the blocks are connnected. The Tioga Comp X (CRC £13.99) looks a good tyre, 24" x 2.1" - Is 2.1" wide enough though? The Holy Roller (CRC £17.99) is available on CRC in 24" x 2.4" 60a, but this spec isn't listed on the Maxxis site, 1.85 is the widest they give. In summary, for £5 more the 24 x 2.4" Holy Roller gives a slightly wider tyre and denser knob pattern (Oooer) compared to the Tioga Comp X.

The weight savings are good news too. Comparing a Down hill tyre with one of these street ones, you could halving the weight of your tyres! That means saving around 600g of rolling mass (DH = 1200g, Street = 600g) That's the weight of a typical 24" rim that you could save both front and rear, 1.2kg on the whole bike! Because of the mass saved being at the extremity of the rolling wheels, it will also mean a more responsive drivetrain with less rotational inertia to get started. As long as the puncture resistance is adequate then you're laughing with your smoother running, more responsive, lighter (1/2 the weight) and cheaper (1/2 the price) tyres

Continuing on this theme, here are some coloured options for a 24" street tyre from my local bike shop, www.billys.co.uk:

[attachmentid=3763]

^ Halo Twin Rail, 24" x 2.2", 715g, Black/Green/Pink

Also, this is the cheapest tyre I've seen of this ilk (from Billys again):

[attachmentid=3764]

^ Maxxis Maxx Daddy, 24" x 1.85", 614g, £8.99 (+postage, when it may end up the same price as a £13.99 Tioga Comp X from CRC)

Riders are already asking me what I'd recommend to build up a 24UK, so I'm trying to catch up with you guys. Rim wise, I've been thinking that I'd recommend 3 types, and it comes down to colours really!

DMR Dee Vee (CRC £24.99, 642g, 32mm wide) = Silver

Sun Rhyno Lite (CRC £31.95, 565g, 29.2mm wide) = Black

Halo SAS (Billys £39.99 (+ postage), 720g, 36mm wide) = Gold (if you must!)

Apart from the colour, I can't see any justification in buying the Halo SAS. Including postage (say £5) I can't see that there's £15 worth of extra value there, and the additional weight and width aren't useful.

Also, keeping it simple again, maybe it makes sense to only buy what CRC have in stock since other shops like Bikedock charge around £6-7 postage per rim, and also don't deliver as quickly!

Wiggle have a good range, but as a large shop it's a bit frustrating you can't ring them up to check postage or parts details. You have to email and they aim to reply in 3-4 days.

What do you all think of this tyre and rim thinking?

Steve, that is almost identical to my current rear tyre. Tioga Comp X. Also have a look at the Maxxis Holy Roller. Both very light, low rolling resistance and nice and grippy.

The rims I use are Rhyno lights. If I'm honest even with my crummy wheel builds its hard to put a buckle in them.

I have the 1.85 Holy Roller on the front. Its quiet a hard tyre but offers lots of grip, I'm not sure how it would fair on the back because there is not much gap between the tread. If you know what I mean.

A friend of mine ran a DMR moto digga on the rear for a while it wasn't too bad grip wise but it did weight alot and you could feel it slowing you down. But thats the tyre I would reccomend if your doing to be doing my trials on your 24, but if you want to ride more streety lines involving a degree of speed go for the Comp X. It seems like a good compromise between grip and rolling resistance.

[attachmentid=3765]

Here is a photo of my bike you can see the tyres clearly (ish) and with the handy chalk on there the tread is more apparent.

There is only one slight drawback with the Comp X, thats its width. Its dosen't give you a really steady platform whilst hopping on the backwheel on anything other than a flat surface.

Do not buy a Tioga Blue Dragon, they offer absolutly no grip in the wet I had mine for 2 weeks, it nearly wore down completely and it just didnt grip.

the tioga comp x tires look pretty good and I have been impressed by the ones boon has been running and they seem great for street.

For more a trialsy tire set up the best combo i have found so far its a maxxis swampthing rear and a dmr moto digger up front - this is definately a better combo in wet and for natural stuff!

my next setup I am getting the arrow racing launch tires ( http://www.arrowracing.com ) they have a decent width 2.35 and a low rolling resistance design, but they comes in two compounds a standard 60 and a more sticky 47. I am gonna be trying the stickier ones owt, and they are cheap at £16 a tire.

• 2 months later...

Been running DMR Moto Diggers for 6 months or so now and other than the thin sidewalls I can't really fault them.

Running them on Tioga DH rims laced up to Hopes (XC Rear/Mono Front) and had minimal problems, other than breaking a few tyre levers (and nearly thumbs!) trying to remove tyres for punctures (only had 2 in 6 months, cant really complain). Not sure if this is down to the rim or the tyre, or a combination of the two

Oh, I got given some lovely pink BMX grips a while back, so thinking of getting some pink tyres and running them when these tyres wear right out (very little wear as of yet though, due to limited riding what with A Levels etc.) but of course BMX bars are thinner than MTB. Reckon it would be as easy as dumping them in some boiling water and stretching over with brute force? :-

Been running DMR Moto Diggers for 6 months or so now and other than the thin sidewalls I can't really fault them.

Running them on Tioga DH rims laced up to Hopes (XC Rear/Mono Front) and had minimal problems, other than breaking a few tyre levers (and nearly thumbs!) trying to remove tyres for punctures (only had 2 in 6 months, cant really complain). Not sure if this is down to the rim or the tyre, or a combination of the two

Oh, I got given some lovely pink BMX grips a while back, so thinking of getting some pink tyres and running them when these tyres wear right out (very little wear as of yet though, due to limited riding what with A Levels etc.) but of course BMX bars are thinner than MTB Reckon it would be as easy as dumping them in some boiling water and stretching over with brute force? :-

at the middle they are, but at the control end they are the same :)

• 3 months later...

On my old V24 I was running a 28-14 which was pirfect for a mix of street and trials, could still get the speed for stairs and Race-tracks as long as you didn't mind pedaling like a hamster on speed, and when it came to the street stuff I could still stall nicely and do technical stuff.

You're not really gunna be able to do any decent dirt with a lower than 1-2 gearing, so I'd advise an 18t sprocket on the back, just as low as posible, while not holding you back.

For street trials I'm gunna be running a 20-16 at first (same gear as 20-17 on 26" wheels), but I suspect I will want to change to 22-16 soon.

If you know anyone with a 26", mod or BMX that you like the geering on, you work it out with: (chianring/sprocket)*wheel diameter in inch's. (mods count as 20" as its done by the outside diameter, which is still 20" because of the Fat tyre)

So a 26" with 20-17 is (20/17)*26=30.588

And 24" with 20-16 is (20/16)*24=30

And 10" with 18-12 is (18/12)*20=30

so basicly the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just pinched my Tioga DH 24 at 35psi doing a just under 2m gap, didn't even land it that harshly, its just stupid, also just before i was finding that it wouldn't even grip on pallets, I was gaping and ass I kicked the tyre would wheel spin making me cock up badly.

I really need to get a better 24" rear tyre, anyone know where I can get a 2.35 or 2.5 maxxis high roller?

To whoever asked earlier, halo combats suck, they dent really easily, I managed to bend the sidewalls on my jump bike without even hitting the rim, so that when I trued one sidewall of the rim to within 0.5mm movement the other sidewall would be moving up to 2mm.Also needed truing every 2 weeks or so. The tornadoes are the same as atomlab GIs but with eyelets, so should be pretty nice. I put an atomlab DHR on the back after the combat and it kicked ass, completely indestructible.

Personally for trials I've got a BMF rear and a Rhino Light on the front, great so far.