Bmx Pics Thread

Mark W

Sorry to be really random and put a question in a bike PICS thread, but i am really curious.

Please can someone explain or show to me a picture of the inside of a freecoaster hub?

I am thinking of putting one on my 24" dmr, just for a bit of bmx style fun :P

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks alot, Owen

Sorry to be really random and put a question in a bike PICS thread, but i am really curious.

Please can someone explain or show to me a picture of the inside of a freecoaster hub?

I am thinking of putting one on my 24" dmr, just for a bit of bmx style fun :P

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks alot, Owen

It's basically like a big steel lump with threads on the inside, which your driver threads into. When you pedal, the driver spins, pulling the clutch (the lump) up the threads until it engages with the hubshell, and drives the wheel forwards. When you backpedal, the clutch is away from the hub, and you're good to coast. If you go to www.myspace.com/pijinbmx (or specifically, here http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=301253116) I've put some pics up of the innerds of mine.

SERIOUSLY, don't do it. I won't ever ride a freecoaster on my bmx let alone anything else. A serious lack of engagement, weight, cost and faffing about. Freecoasters won't give you any more advantage.

Who gives a shit abotu "Engagement"? You get used to the slack, and then you're fine. I don't often kickhop, sidehop or gap on my BMX, so I don't really ever feel the need for instant engagement. With the 1:2.75(ish) ratio, you'll rinse through the gap relatively quickly. Either way, you develop the ability to not worry about it and you just adapt to suit it. Regarding the "lack of advantage" or whatever you want to call it, that's total bollocks. For fakie stuff, freecoasting makes it a lot smoother and a lot more enjoyable to do. For a lot of stuff it isn't easier, but it just feels 100% nicer. It also opens up a lot of new lines on some spots, but it's largely the feel of it that makes me keep mine on.

OBM, when your doing a 180 an you land fakie, dont you ever expect it to engage? Or have you just got use to rolling backwards now? I can't imagine trying to get use to it.

I set mine up with a good amount of slack, so I just don't worry about it. Even when I've been going flat out then 180ing to half-cab bigger stairsets, I just don't really think about it. I know my setup, so I don't need to worry or anything.

I just re-read his post, i automatically thought 24" trials. But as it goes i still stand by point on freecoasters. I like riding chainless now and then but would never bother with a freecoaster. Maybe it's 'cause i ride alot of ramp?

Cheers for all the freecoaster replys!

Especially thanks to onzaboymark, i think i understand how they work now. And im with you on the engagement side of things, i have got my trials for good engagement, my DMR is just a bit of fun on the street and a little bit of park so im not too fussed about engagement!

Think i might have to pruchase one when i get some money together.

Anyone else think its a good or bad idea? Has anyone ever known anyone to have freecoaster on 24"? I have seen one or two on identiti's but thats it?

Thanks again

Owen

I have, yeah. Also seen people doing the 'ghost gear' thing where htey have a space on their cassette where they've put a spacer instead of a sprocket so they can "change" into that gear and have it so it won't engage or whatever to do coaster-like rollbacks.

I have, yeah. Also seen people doing the 'ghost gear' thing where htey have a space on their cassette where they've put a spacer instead of a sprocket so they can "change" into that gear and have it so it won't engage or whatever to do coaster-like rollbacks.

Yeah, i have heard about this! But with my DMR being 116mm horizontal drop outs, that wont work for me unfortunately! Might just have to splash out on a freecoaster. Can anyone reccommend me one please!

Thanks

Owen