Pad Reviews

Mark W

Can anyone recommend some pads with good hold but are quiet?

I have heatsink yellows on a grind on my echo control, perfect, but very loud. I'm happy with them for my 'pure' trials bike but I want some quieter ones for my 24".

Pads: TNN Belaey

Time used: Around 4 days of solid riding. (5-7 hours at a time )

Rim used: Trialtech Sport 19"

Grind: Yes , fresh Sharp Medium grind

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura Hs33 2005, Echo lever blade, Water-Bled, ViZ/ Magura clamp combo, Echo SL booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: The brake has to be aggresive. It has to bite instantly, no modulation, on or off lever feel, with loads of hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Have used Onza Citrus, Limes, Monty X-Hydras, Blacks, Heatsink CNC yellows, TNN LGMs. So far these Belaeys are performing WAY better than any of them.

Review: I got these pads part used from a mate that has recently quit riding for 10 quid (Win) with pretty much all 8mm of material still on the pad. I only bought them as my yellows had pretty much worn out, and would have taken ages and more money to get some refills. Before I used these I swore by heatsink yellows, but these pads surprised me.

They were never any good on the previous owners bike, and I only wanted them as a stop gap between pad refills to keep me riding.

I whacked them on, running on a dead grind and a smidgine of tar, and they were amazing. They held on everything the Yellows wouldn't, and had a lovely loud honk to them. They continued to be brilliant even after the Tar had worn off.

Im not usually one to use tar, and decided to get off my arse and regrind my rim.

Thin metal cutting disc, 45 degree angle, slight pressure gave a perfect sharp medium grind.

Set the pads up square, and went out for a little ride. The pads took no time to bed into the new grind, and they again were nothing short of brilliant.

The already amazing bite has become incredible, and the hold is simply quality, holding on things I thought no brake I could set up would.

The pads seem less grind dependent than my old LGMs, (they really disappointed me :/ ) but maybe its a bit early to judge.

I love these pads, and I would definatley recommend people to try them with the setup I have mentioned.

Sharp Medium grind, 2 bolt booster, washerless clamps. Win.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going back to Heatsink Yellows again this weekend. Will use the beleays up front.

The beleays have been working well but there was something about the Yellows that just seemed right.

Im really picky when coming to pad choice :S

• 2 weeks later...

CNC Rockpads!

Used for about a year now (the same set) and another set for about 6 months

Many different set-ups, most the time 05 Mag water bled with a Deng blade and no booster and a seriously harsh grind(Onza rim most the time).

These pads are insane, have never failed me. Same performance in wet and dry, stupidly loud, great bite and with a booster it will never slip, also the backings are great, really stiff and make your brake feel solid. Better on the back than the front, not quite an responsive and TNN pads so i tend to use those up front. But for a rear brake don't buy anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Heatsink CNC Yellows

Time used: 3-4 Weeks

Rim used: Trialtech Race Undrilled (bombproof rim!)

Grind: Yes mediumishhhhh

Ceraminc: Nah

Brake used: Magura Hs33 2005, 4 Finger Lever, Water-Bled, Atomz Elitis TR clamps , No booster. 06 Zoo! Python

What is your opinion of a working brake: The brake has to be aggresive. It has to bite instantly, no modulation, on or off lever feel, with loads of hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Once again performing brilliantly. However they seem a little less likely to hold than the Beleays............

Review: Brilliant, but not outstanding. Bought these pads yet again after my beleays wore at funny angles. Bed in took a while, and made no noise at all, but held very well. Took the pads out, switched which side they were on and BOOM, mega brake. Plenty of bite with a fantastic honk. However after using my beleays (Which could be tempramental) they dont seem to hold as well. Now I have changed rim, as my old Trialtech Sports rim folded over. This could have something to do with it.

Im soon changing my Race rim to an Echo TR, and will be running them on a smooth rim for a period of time.

When I grind it, I will evaluate the Beleays and the Heatsinks, both having new refills and on their recommended grinds.

Very close in which I prefer.

But think the beleays may just have the edge.........

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Still running the Heatsink CNC Yellows. Managed to get a grind on my Trialtech race rim that they worked incredibly well on, with plenly of bite and hold. Lots and lots of hold.

This set seem to be wearing better too, with still over 5mm of pad left.

Now as said, I changed to an Echo TR last weekend.

Always had my rims ground, so decided to give smooth rims a shot. Built the wheel, tyre on, tube ect.

Cleaned the rim, ground the pads flat ( TT rims have a tapered sidewall) and got them as square as you could possibly get them, with the whole pad hitting the rim at the same time.

Wow.

It is incredible. The pads grip the rim like nothing Ive tried. They bite instantly, with a very loud honk to them. They seem to hold well too, but was using a borrowed frame so will have to wait until the weekend when I get my Ice to get some proper use through them.

Smooth rims seems to be a winner, even more so when I dont ride in the wet.

Black sidewalls look pretty swish too...... happy.gif

Update!

Still running the Heatsink CNC Yellows. Managed to get a grind on my Trialtech race rim that they worked incredibly well on, with plenly of bite and hold. Lots and lots of hold.

This set seem to be wearing better too, with still over 5mm of pad left.

Now as said, I changed to an Echo TR last weekend.

Always had my rims ground, so decided to give smooth rims a shot. Built the wheel, tyre on, tube ect.

Cleaned the rim, ground the pads flat ( TT rims have a tapered sidewall) and got them as square as you could possibly get them, with the whole pad hitting the rim at the same time.

Wow.

It is incredible. The pads grip the rim like nothing Ive tried. They bite instantly, with a very loud honk to them. They seem to hold well too, but was using a borrowed frame so will have to wait until the weekend when I get my Ice to get some proper use through them.

Smooth rims seems to be a winner, even more so when I dont ride in the wet.

Black sidewalls look pretty swish too...... happy.gif

Is it possible to have a video of that Honk please?

Scroll down to 'wringing': http://en.wikipedia....iki/Gauge_block

The pads are VERY smooth on their surface from new, so once they bed in or the rim is slightly dirty, performance will drop off very quickly :( Had the same thing with Monty pads on a D521CD rim back in the day.

Keep my rims and pads super clean :) Hot soapy water on the rim with a scrubbing sponge and a skim with the grinder on the pads gets the brake working brilliantly again.

Hello I'm a street trials rider on my Onza zoot 2010. I'm starting to do drops and more peddle kicks, and I noticed the stock brakes were slipping a large amount. The zOot has vee brakes correct? Well anyways I don't feel comfortable with the slipping so I tried grinding my rim. Nothing special just took the paint off and it didnt seem to help much. So please tell Me a good brand, so I don't have to buy new brakes. Also this is for my rear wheel.

Hello I'm a street trials rider on my Onza zoot 2010. I'm starting to do drops and more peddle kicks, and I noticed the stock brakes were slipping a large amount. The zOot has vee brakes correct? Well anyways I don't feel comfortable with the slipping so I tried grinding my rim. Nothing special just took the paint off and it didnt seem to help much. So please tell Me a good brand, so I don't have to buy new brakes. Also this is for my rear wheel.

Either Heatsink yellows in CNC V backings or Tnn Beleays in Cnc V brake backings. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Scroll down to 'wringing': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_block

The pads are VERY smooth on their surface from new, so once they bed in or the rim is slightly dirty, performance will drop off very quickly :( Had the same thing with Monty pads on a D521CD rim back in the day.

I used to make and calibrate the highest grade gauge blocks and i can assure you that the kind of flatness required for wringing gauges properly is a long way from the "flat" surface of a brake pad or rim. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Tar then???

Also any reviews about the trialtech pads???

At the time of the post I ran no tar at all, Just a clean rim and freshly cleaned pads.

Worked really well.

Im lazy though, and instead of cleaning my rim, I began to use tar. 2 days later I ground my rim haha :)

Il second the request on a review on the Trialtech Pads too.

Pads: Heatsink DIY White Compound in CNC backings

Time used: Around 3 weeks.

Rim used: Echo TR 19"

Grind: Yes. Sharp Harsh Grind

Ceraminc: Nope

Brake used: 05 Magura Hs33, Echo SL Lever, Water Bleed, Tensile Clamps, Built In booster on frame ( Ice 2 )

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bite with great noise, but offering lots of hold with no modulation.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Average. Still think that the Heatsink Yellows and TNN Beleays are the best Ive used.

Review: I fitted these to my CNC backings after my yellows had worn out. Bought them for a 5er of a mate. I used a medium grind at first, but they work too well at all. After changing the disc on my grinder to a diamond cutting disc and giving the rim a harsh sharp grind, they began to show some promise. Let them bed in, and then flipped the pads around and set the brake up sqaure. Worked 10x better. Good bite, noise, with OK hold. They do seem to need to be set up bang on to give good performance, and dont show any signs of working well in the wet.

Overall an average brake pad.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Pads: Heatsink Yellows plastic backing

Time used: Couple of weeks

Rim used: Echo TR 19"

Grind: No

Ceraminc: ?

Brake used: Magura 05 slaves, echo sl booster, magura 05 2 finger lever with LHM oil bleed.

What is your opinion of a working brake: good noise, instant stick that holds and bites perfectly, and no slipping.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: First pad used on a smooth, before I ran belaeys on a deadish grind and they blow those out of the water!

Review: Pretty amazing pads, got them on a smooth after hearing they work and tarty being out of stock on rockman greens, they haven't really shown any wear yet, I use tar on the rims now as it's easier than cleaning them all the time, the noise is brilliant and they haven't let me down once! Very good pads and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to keep their rim smooth!

:)