Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Heatsink Blue pads in CNC Backings

Time used: 1 day in the street

Rim used: Rockman/Try-All Single Walled Black

Grind: No, Smooth rim for the win it seems

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: 2005 Magura HS33 on a Echo Pure 2011 frame

What is your opinion of a working brake: not necesseraly loud but a nice honk, good bite and great hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I have used heatsink Yellows on a smooth rim before and the Blues are much better! I was already impressed by the Yellows but these have clearly overpassed my expectations! I have used loads of pads on a grind: Try-All Croco Clears and Yellows, Coust pads both from Michel Coustellier and Heatsink, in CNC backings and Powerpads, TNN CRM, LGM and Belaeys, Rockman Blues and Heatsink Yellows and the Blues are just as good as some of the best of these pads.

Review:The brake is really powerful and has great bite, hold and the noise is very nice! You can feel it having good bite and good hold in both forward and reward ways. It really locks the wheel and if you listen carefully, you can hear the pads sticking on the rim. This performance might get away with time and after the pads deteriorate and are bedded in but no doubt it will still be good.

Concerning the brake noise, it is loud when you make the wheel spin fast but you just get a very nice honk when you are on the rear wheel and want to move forward of a few centimeters. Concerning the brake mounts facing operation, it took nearly no time and was already ne arly perfect when receiving the frame. So the brake is not loud, but you feel the bite and the hold is impressive. Heatsink bikes made a great work. Again! Here is a small video to show the performance of the brake:

And some pics of the set up:

dsc_0020.jpg

dsc_0010.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using phatpads in CNC backing at the moment, they've got an okay bite and good hold except for when I'm pedalling up to stuffm it just won't hold on the edges...

I tried out Onza Citrus pads too but they were worse. I'm using a light/medium fresh grind, should I get Tnn LGM's or Heatsink Cousts? I can't decide!

I'm using phatpads in CNC backing at the moment, they've got an okay bite and good hold except for when I'm pedalling up to stuffm it just won't hold on the edges...

I tried out Onza Citrus pads too but they were worse. I'm using a light/medium fresh grind, should I get Tnn LGM's or Heatsink Cousts? I can't decide!

Your Phatpads should work fine.

Whack a Diamond Cutting disc on your grinder, and give the rim a harsh sharp grind. Give your pads a quick scrub with some sand paper to remove any crap.

Set it all up PERFECTLY square, and let them bed in.

Phats are awesome when set up correctly.

not a review, but anyone recommend me anything that's close to the old plaz CRM's?

don't want to keep grinding my rim, did that too many times to keep my belaeys working!!

was looking at the Heatsink Blue's but worried they're a little too soft (maybe like old zoo greens) and disappear unless used on a smooth rim?

basically just want something that'll work happily with a light/dead grind.

Steve

I rode 4 years with dd mod bike. Now I`m using 24'' trials bike and I don`t have absolutely no idea witch pads are better. I need to choice between 3 models. Rockpads blue, TNN Bealey and TNN LGM. I know, that Rockpads is long life pads. But what about TNN?

Thanks, Kristaps.

not a review, but anyone recommend me anything that's close to the old plaz CRM's?

don't want to keep grinding my rim, did that too many times to keep my belaeys working!!

was looking at the Heatsink Blue's but worried they're a little too soft (maybe like old zoo greens) and disappear unless used on a smooth rim?

basically just want something that'll work happily with a light/dead grind.

Steve

they will last as long or even longer than crm´s ;)

Pads: Heatsink CNC Yellows

Time used: Week

Rim used: Echo TR 19"

Grind: Yes. Harsh and Sharp

Ceraminc: ?

Brake used: Magura Hs33 05, 4 finger lever, water bleed, Echo CNC Clamps, Onze Ice 2 frame ( Built in booster ), Heatsink CNC Yellows

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bites, Holds. Instantly

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: These refills are pretty special.

Review: Whacked in my refills as my old yellows went all horrible and worn, and these are pretty special.

The compounds harder than usual on these pads, so I opted for a harsh grind. Theyve taken a little

to bed in, but now they have they're incredable. Much better than the old refills and much louder!

Little clip so you can hear and see the brake doing its thing!

• Like 1

Pads: Real coust pads

Time used:Since April 2011

Rim used:Viz square hole rear rim Grind:yes mediumish

Ceraminc:No

Brake used:04 magura hs33 fully waterbled with echo tr clamps. Used on an echo pure 2011 frame with no booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Something that has agressive bite and sound and also holds well

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:I have used heatsink yellows, TNN Belaeys, try-all croco yellows ,phatpads and also koxx greens. These brake pads blow all of them out the water

Review: I have been using these pads in the rear since April 2011 constantly(apart from when I switched to heatsinks for two weeks)and have almost seen no wear!!!!!! These pads have been amazing since then, with their aggresive bite and sound and excellant hold. These beat any other pads I have used and work the same on a dead grind as they do on a fresh grind!!! I recommend these pads to anyone!!

Little video of the brake doing its thing(bearing it mind I have only just put these back on and they are bedding in)

Edited by koxxboy14

You're in the right place, but you're doing it wrong.

Edit: ^ What do you mean?

Your Phatpads should work fine.

Whack a Diamond Cutting disc on your grinder, and give the rim a harsh sharp grind. Give your pads a quick scrub with some sand paper to remove any crap.

Set it all up PERFECTLY square, and let them bed in.

Phats are awesome when set up correctly.

Thanks for the replies, I gave it a grind and set then up squarely. And also sanded them down with sandpaper; they worked a little bit better, however after I did a short gap down from a wall over some grass onto a pathway (about 2 metres)... They slipped, I landed on my back, and was winded. That was after I'd gone through the effort of trying to make them perform better, so now I'm waiting for my coustsinks to arrive.

I will be very disappointed if these £35 pads don't perform any better...

Edited by OnzaKid

I'm sorry to hear about the crash! Back on it now I hope?

Phatpads are harder than a lot of pads, and deliver maximum hold when used with a booster and a long lever blade. The benefit of this set up is how reliable it is! (I've been using it since 2005!) - on a fresh or very dull grind and in the dry or wet, they always just seem to work.

This'll be the first public announcement of some news; they're available now for only £20 from our online store. :)

Happy days!

Edit: ^ What do you mean?

Thanks for the replies, I gave it a grind and set then up squarely. And also sanded them down with sandpaper; they worked a little bit better, however after I did a short gap down from a wall over some grass onto a pathway (about 2 metres)... They slipped, I landed on my back, and was winded. That was after I'd gone through the effort of trying to make them perform better, so now I'm waiting for my coustsinks to arrive.

I will be very disappointed if these £35 pads don't perform any better...

In that case,you´re definitely doing it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads:

Heatsink Blue CNC backed.

Time used:

Two and a half hours.

Rim used:

Onza zoot

Grind:

Very dead grind.. so pretty much smooth.

Ceraminc: Yes/No

Don’t think so… not 100% on what a ceraminc is.

Brake used:

RB lever with plastic hose magura slaves, plastic booster, standard magura clamps.

What is your opinion of a working brake:

Bite: Bites really fast and doesn’t slip so that you have to do a small hop back to be at a good position on the rear.

Hold: Amazing hold, never slips, even on the hardest of moves. You want a brake you can totally trust on the biggest of moves.

Sound: You want a nice loud powerful honk that will make people turn and think “wtf?”

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:

I’ve used a fair amout of pads not that many though, Magura kool stops, rock greens, ZOO! Pads, BBB tie fighter pads, Heatsink reds and on other peoples bikes TNN belaey, TNN LGM, heatsink yellow, Rock blues CNC backed and a fair few others.

Review:

Looks of the pad:

When I got these out of their packet I was really impressed with the CNC back so much detail while the pad was a really nice blue which went lovely with the silver of the backing. Over all a really good looking pad, probably one of the best out there in my opinion.

Fitting:

I've never used CNC backed pads before so i wasn't relly sure what to expect when fitting them, i know they have to be perfectly square and thats about it.. I pushed the pad on the slave with a little spit on the o-ring to help it slide on i was expecting a click as it fitted in place but it just slid on which is a little strange but hey ho. They're not too hard to set up but it was made a little harder for me because i have a tapered rim.

First impressions:

I fitted them late at night when everyone was in bed so couldn't give them the wheel a massive spin so i just spun the wheel VERY gently with my hand and pulled the brake and this massive honk came out of them from hardly any movement, i could already tell they were going to be amazing and very loud. In the morning i went down and gave the wheel a proper spin with the pedal and pulled the brake and oh my god!! If you like loud brakes then THIS is the pad for you, its that honk that trials riders dream of!

Bedding in time:

Right from the word go they were better than my ZOO! Pads which were the last pads I was using, The bite and hold is what I described in the “what is your opinion of a working brake” Couldn’t wish for a better pad ESPECIALLY seeing as they havn’t even worn to the shape of my rim yet, I’m just hoping they’ll get EVEN better.

Once the pad had bedded in:

Im not sure the pad has 100% bedded in to the angle of my tapered rim but even so the brake is really really good, the bite is what I explained of what I wanted in a brake (maybe a tiny bit less?) and the hold is perfect. As the pad gets used to the shape of my rim I assume It’ll just get more powerful which im looking forward to! The CNC backing reduces the flex A LOT and gives a much nicer lever feel and more power aslong as the pads are square. I would highly recommend these pads to anyone who wants an AMAZING brake. I’ll probably update this in a week or two once the pads have properly bedded in.

• Like 1

Pads: Heatsink Blue pads in CNC Backings

Time used: 1 day in the street

Rim used: Rockman/Try-All Single Walled Black

Grind: No, Smooth rim for the win it seems

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: 2005 Magura HS33 on a Echo Pure 2011 frame

What is your opinion of a working brake: not necesseraly loud but a nice honk, good bite and great hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I have used heatsink Yellows on a smooth rim before and the Blues are much better! I was already impressed by the Yellows but these have clearly overpassed my expectations! I have used loads of pads on a grind: Try-All Croco Clears and Yellows, Coust pads both from Michel Coustellier and Heatsink, in CNC backings and Powerpads, TNN CRM, LGM and Belaeys, Rockman Blues and Heatsink Yellows and the Blues are just as good as some of the best of these pads.

Review:The brake is really powerful and has great bite, hold and the noise is very nice! You can feel it having good bite and good hold in both forward and reward ways. It really locks the wheel and if you listen carefully, you can hear the pads sticking on the rim. This performance might get away with time and after the pads deteriorate and are bedded in but no doubt it will still be good.

Concerning the brake noise, it is loud when you make the wheel spin fast but you just get a very nice honk when you are on the rear wheel and want to move forward of a few centimeters. Concerning the brake mounts facing operation, it took nearly no time and was already ne arly perfect when receiving the frame. So the brake is not loud, but you feel the bite and the hold is impressive. Heatsink bikes made a great work. Again! Here is a small video to show the performance of the brake:

And some pics of the set up:

dsc_0020.jpg

dsc_0010.jpg

Hows this setup holding up?

Will be running the same come sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've only got a lightish sharp grind which I'll probably let die and not grind too often. Which CNC backed Maggy pads would be best? I'm using a 4 bolt booster.

I'm after serious bite, serious hold and a huuuuge honk!

Grind your rim to a Sharp medium grind and whack on some TNN Lgms.

I just have and theyre frickin awesome.

• 1 month later...

Pads:onza limes

Time used:1 year

Rim used:various, mainly echo 19"sl/26"sl

Grind: Yes

Ceraminc: n/a

Brake used: 05 hs 33

What is your opinion of a working brake:grabby as fook and doesn`t slip

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: much better than standard magura blacks, speaking as a novice who is new to trials and knows nowt.

Review: i`m very happy with these pads, as i said being new to trials i`ve not had chance to try different ones out, but as these seem ok and me being a tight git i`m gonna stick with em for the moment until i come into some cash. the hold/bite/noise is very good, they have very little slippage, but this is probably due to my weight rather than the pad itself. i`ve used maguras for years on various bikes, mtbs to jump to trials so i know how to set them up right. i`ve been advised to try heatsink yellows by a mate, am gonna give em a go in the new year.