Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: RIMBJAM Greens

Time used: about a month

Rim used: alex rim dm32

Grind: yes

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: magura with homemade booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: very good and sharp.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: they tend to wear out alot quiker.

Review:

although the pads are great, they tend to wear out very quik. and the clips which hold it on to the magura sylnder snap. when i first put them on they gave a good noise which made me think the brake was sharp. alothough it wa sharp... it didnt last a week.

Pads: rockman greens

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: brand new onza pro wheelset

Grind: no

Brake used: 03 hs33 with trialtech carbon booster

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: very loud and even more grippy, despite no grind

Review: these are excellent, loads of bite and hold, i`m about 15 st and up on the back wheel, these pads haven`t slipped on me yet. quite a good feel through the lever too, bled with mineral oil at the install and setup.

Why are you posting that video link EVERYWHERE? lol

Pads: Heatsink Yellows in CNC backings

Time used: 4 weeks

Rim used: Echo Urban

Grind: Yes, lightest grind ever!!

Brake used: 05 oil bled 05 HS33 with 4 finger lever

What is your opinion of a working brake: Confidence inducing bite and decent hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Not as loud as LGMs but still loud, more hold than LGMs though -- maybe.

Review: Working really well for me so far on the lightest of grinds, it's a new rim so i've barely even taken the black paint off the grind is so light. They seem to honking like crazy and have held me pretty well on the edge of walls. I didn't really get on with my last pair but im now using washer less mounts so my pads are hitting the rim absolutely square on and this seems to have made a different. Ovreall I'm pretty chuffed. However I have seen them wear away a bit, where as my LGMs are still going on strong after a year and a few months of riding and still have loads left! I do ride, honest. :)

Edited by dann2707

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Tnn LGM

Time used: a month or two

Rim used: Echo TR 19"

Grind: Yes. Medium

Ceraminc: ?

Brake used: Magura Hs33 04, 2 finger lever, water bleed, Echo CNC Clamps, echo lite 2011 frame with 2 bolt echo sl booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: anything not so bad that I could fall off

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Amazing

Review: bites well (not amazing) but the hold is incredible!

• 2 months later...

Pads: Heatsink Yellows CNC

Time used: Almost a month now

Rim used: Echo TR

Grind: Yes, a light sharp grind, that's been on almost a month now

Ceraminc: No?

Brake used: Magura 04, with an echo SL two bolt booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite and a remarkable hold that you can have ultimate faith in

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: only used heatsinks on smooth and some other pads that I couldn't really test out properly, as I only did wheelie drops with them on :P

Review: To start off with, they were absolutely incredible, never slipped and always bit and held superbly even in the wet!

However, they started to get worse and worse slightly, such as a slipping on sidehop preloads and such. But then at the weekend I got on the bike and they were absolutely terrible, grind was still fresh and sharp, however there was no hold or bite! had to apply tar on a still sharp grind just to get them to hold enough to have confidence in!

So to start off with they were absolutely exceptional, but now they are absolutely terrible.

For this reason, I shall soon be swapping to LGM's! as they always seem to be absolutely great!!!

• 2 weeks later...

so heres my review

pads:discobrakes red trials compound (i know,ebay-cheapo,but powerpad backings like neon and others)

rim:atomlab gi 24,sharp,but a bit worn grind

magura 05 with 4-finger lever blades,4-point boosters(alloy)

i didnt think it would be a good buy,but i was totally surprised by them pads:

bite ***

hold ****

honk *****

of 6 possible compared to mag black,red,and crm pads(crm had 6 in every category)

we should establish a rating system,dont you think?

and nice modulation for manuals

will see what the wear time will be,but so far amazing pads for 6 euros a pair.

no joke,theyre good

cheers

familybiker

• 2 weeks later...

TNN LGM

(again giggle.gif)

Different setup, different rim has seen these pads really come into their own.

They really are extremely impressive, despite my initial experiences with them.

They bite well, hold brilliantly and have a nice honk to boot.

Zhi SIngle wall rim, 05 magura, 4 finger lever, no booster.

On my pads, I decided Id see how they would perform with the chamfered edges as per the beleay counterparts.

Im pleased to say they work fantastically. Still loud, but the hold seems to have increased and the pad hasnt rounded off from the odd rare occasion the brake slips backwards.

Following riding shipley glen on the saturday before this post, the grind was deadddd.

Rode it a further week on what was essentially a smooth rim and the (dry weather) performance was still outstanding.

Very, very good pads.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

• 4 weeks later...

Pads: rockman greens

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: brand new onza pro wheelset

Grind: no

Brake used: 03 hs33 with trialtech carbon booster

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: very loud and even more grippy, despite no grind

Review: these are excellent, loads of bite and hold, i`m about 15 st and up on the back wheel, these pads haven`t slipped on me yet. quite a good feel through the lever too, bled with mineral oil at the install and setup.

so glad to hear that! i am going to get a rear maggy and use rockman greens with no grind, but wanted to see if they were any good and its even better to find out you used it on an onza pro wheel :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question. I bought some phatpads (actually phadmags) from http://www.phatworks.co.uk/phatmags.html. But I've never received a comformation they're being sent or anything.

Afterwards I noticed that the websites says "Phatworks 2010". Which makes me wonder if he stills sells them via the website?

I've sent him a pm but haven't received a response yet.

Just a quick question. I bought some phatpads (actually phadmags) from http://www.phatworks...k/phatmags.html. But I've never received a comformation they're being sent or anything.

Afterwards I noticed that the websites says "Phatworks 2010". Which makes me wonder if he stills sells them via the website?

I've sent him a pm but haven't received a response yet.

top right hand corner, Tel: (01869) 340041

Edited by old'scoolfool

• 2 weeks later...

i use the heatsink yellows

and they are s*** now ! only used them a month or so, slip all the time, far too lound (in an area were nobody has ever seen biketrials before), dont even work in the wet.. anybody else have this problem??