Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Real Cousts in plastic backings

Time used: Nearly 3 months

Rim used: Echo TR

Grind: Medium grind with a thin metal cutting disk.

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura 05 water bled with a 4 finger lever, echo SL 2 bolt booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: snappy bite, great hold, no slippage

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I've used heatsink yellows, TNN LGMs, phatpads and they are far superior

Review: Well to try them off I put them on a proper light grind and noticed instantly how bitey they were. Had a few group rides and they were great. However they proper ate the grind, it became smooth after a few rides due to the light grind but this is the best bit - they STILL bit and held even on a near smooth rim. Unlike heatsink yellows and tnns which let you know your grind is dying by not holding at all.

They are very loud, however perhaps the bite isn't as loud as TNN LGMs maybe it is I haven't run them in ages. But I was out riding last night and after doing a gap it nearly popped my ear drum, i was like argghh that proper hurt my ear and so did my mate who I was riding with haha.

The hold is what impresses me the most, as said above even on a completely dead grind they don't slip. I've got so much material on the backing though, this might be what gives such nice bite as it flexes abit in the plastic backing. I'm not messing around cutting them up as they are working really well.

Yesterday I got a puncture so I changed tubes and refit my brakes after sanding them flat on a pad of sandpaper, also gave the rim another medium grind and this is what they sound like. I'm the one in the blue shorts...

I bought them from Jack Meek or you can get them from coustelliar himself I think, not sure what the website it though.

Its fineeeee just a bit dented lately haha. Im past the point of caring with it now though, if it snaps ill get something better :P

• Like 1

562480_3272960390792_1470874139_32502285_2057344040_n.jpg

I used them on his limey for a short while last weekend.

Old grind, still fairly sharp. They were amazing. Very loud, bite really well and the hold was steadily improving over the weekend. Fresh grind would really get the best from them.

Theyre onto a winner if they release them.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Nice! Will have a hop next time. Are you around on Sunday? im considering asking around if people are riding, its my burfday you see.

p.s, your sig is WELL like mine, same colour, same style with motivational saying :P you bitch haha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: RockMan blues in TNN backings.

Time used: About 2 weeks

Rim used: Try-All

Grind: Medium-ish grind with a thin metal cutting disk.

Ceraminc: Huh?

Brake used: Magura 2011 water bled with a 4 finger lever, Neon 2 bolt booster and Echo TR clamps.

What is your opinion of a working brake: They are INSANE, the bite and hold is f*cking awesome!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I've used heatsink yellows, TNN LGMs, Magura blacks. These are DEFINITELY the best pads I've used.

Review: My TNN LGM's wheren't that good, so I decided to give these a try since the guy I ride with recommend these. I glued them into my TNN backings. And re-grinded my rim set them up, and went out for a ride, I didn't test them while I where setting them up so I just got out and pedaled up to my rear wheel and the honk and sound where so loud I almost shit my pants. They scare my neighbours cat, which I hate (great bonus, they should add that in the product description). The bite and honk are insane, it really is!

But unfortunately my mounts wheren't squarely so the pads are really un-square now. But I highly highly recommend these!

Buy e'm!

They are mint as a sandwich. Think Neil was looking at selling his sam as he's not convinced by them but I re-set up his brake the other day and might have refound his love for them.

Put a fresh grind on after you had set them up stu. Rode the comp at fort bill on Saturday and they were awesome. After the comp and falling in rivers and a lot of dust they lost a bit of performance so I re ground the rim Sunday cos it was raining. That's when these pads really shine. Perfect in the wet. Was more scared of the tyre slipping than the brake. Happy days.

pads: heatsink red compound in tnn backings

rim: dmr dv 24

brake: 04 hs 33 with water/antifreeze bleed, no booster with echo Cnc clamps

grind: yes, medium

definition of a working brake: loads of bite and enough noise to knock the warts off a granny

I got these pads off a fellow rider, and compared to the onza pads I had before, they are in a different league. these absolutely do not slip. easily the best pads I've ever had, held me on the point of a 4ft high wall with no slippage. think my tyre would slip before these pads do. epic braking power

• 3 weeks later...

Pads:

Real coustellier pads plastic backed

Time used:

Month and a bit

Rim used:

V!Z 24"

Grind: Yes

Ceraminc:

No

Brake used:

Magura 2011 with 2 finger lever, trial tech 2 bolt booster, because simple trial 24" frame(No built in booster) standard magura clamps.

What is your opinion of a working brake:

Bite: Something that bites fast so you dont have to do a small backhop to re-gain the correct wheel position.

Hold: Something that will hold on the biggest of gaps, and something that holds on all recoverable moves such as a only just high enough pedal kick where you're on the corner of a object.

Sound: Not too fussed about sound, but i guess something that has a bit of sound, a little honk, not too loud or not too quiet.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: I've used ZOO! pads, BBB tie fighter pads, Heatsink Yellow (cnc and plastic), Heatsink Blue(cnc), Heatsink red(plastic), Magura kool stop, Rockman greens(plastic), and a few others. These come out on top over all of them.

Review: These pads really do amaze me when they're on a good grind and are clean. They have the bite i explained earlier, no back hop required when going to rear. The hold is excellent, they hold on everything except the things that would be impossible to recover your balance or move on. The sound is nice, a decently loud deepish toned honk, wouldn't want it any louder. Perfect brake.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to go slightly ot,but has anyone else tried discobrakes pads?especially orange.are they hard or soft?tried red and they were awesome on a half dead grind,but on a fresh one they burn away in a day.

i know youre all into that 40 euro pad hype,but i think,what works,works.

anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: TNN black pads in metal cnc backings (prototypes)

TIme used: Around 3 months

Rim used: Echo tr with a variety of different grinds, from completely dead to fresh harsh grind and medium.

Brake used: Magura HS33 with metal echo cylinder washers with standard magura clamps (water bleed )

Also (very recently) Magura HS11 with TNN washer less clamps (magura blood factory bleed. Brand new brake) Both with 4 finger levers. Also the onza Limey 320 frame has a integrated booster ( still a wee bit of frame flex)

What is your opinion of a working brake?: Lots of hold and bite ( to help with landing things sketchy and in general) NEED a beastly noise too.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Used TNN lgms, TNN belaeys , Heatsink yellows. All in metal cnc backings (never ran plastic backings, SORRY) In comparison the TNN blacks are much better all round.

Review: Great hold in both wetland dry conditions and a great noise. Thinking of a way to describe them the other week, the conclusion I came to is its like running tar without tar!! I've had them for 3 months and they don't go bad unless it's monsoon season outside in which case most wouldn't ride ( hardened test rider me.) In dry conditions I cannot Fault them, they willingly slip. If you completelycock something up. They haven't worn that much at all in the time I've had them.

Overall TNN are onto a winner with these pads. Me and other TNN test riders have ridden these pads and I think most have seen only positives. I think they will be being released soon and I think they will be loved through out the trials world.

Hope this helps pad buyers in the future. :)

Edited by gurider2010

Pads: neon tie fighter 2012

TIme used: Approx 2 months

Rim used: trialtech 19" drilled

Brake used:04 Magura HS33 with standard plastic cylinder washers with standard magura clamps (vittel mineral water bleed ). echo team frame with integrated booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake?:good bite,hold and feel. also loudness plays a part for me

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: i`ve used rockman greens, onza citrus/limes, tnn lgms in cnc backing, heatsink red material in tnn backings. these are on a par with the heatsinks, if not better. my grind seems to be holding as well, im running a medium/light grind, and the rare occasion i got caught out in some rain, these pads still worked. overall im quite impressed, and they feel just as stiff as tnn`s, due to the metal plate bonded to the back of the pad. and for £12, if you cant afford tnn`s, these are definetly a good alternative. to quote danny monkman, "f**k me bing, yours brakes are awesome". even dan james cox reckons its pretty good

Review: as above, if you cant afford tnn`s, these are more than worth getting. worlds better than the other cheap pads on the market today.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pads: heatsink yellow compund in cnc backings

TIme used: Around 2 months

grind: yes, medium to harsh

Rim used: onza pro series double wall rim (bit heavy but unbreakable)

Brake used: 04 Magura HS33 with magura cylinder washers with standard magura clamps (water bleed ), echo 2 bolt booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: massive bite, noise and hold

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: onza limes, onza citrus, rockman greens, heatsink reds, neon tiefighter 2012`s. these are by far the best pads i have used to date

Review: these are amazing. did the comp at brimham, in pouring rain and muddy as f**k, and these pads still held. loads of bite and noise even after a full day of banging about on the side of a muddy damp hill. in the words of dan cox when he had a bash down in castleford "ooooooohhhh". followed by a slight groaning noise. he`s well anal about stuff like this, thats good enough for me. rode last night at a skate park, didnt slip once. i`ve rode these for 2 months now and they still have loads of life left. deffo buying these again. i have also had some cousts off heatsink steve, review to follow

:)