Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Echo reds

Time used: bout 2 weeks

Rim used: sun doublewide

Grind: Yes, mincer grind

Brake used: Magura hs33 05

What is your opinion of a working brake: uber lock no modulation on rear

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: nearly as gud as plaz.

Review: to be honest put em in cos cudnt be assed to grind rim again so tried softer pads on fanny grind... sick as fook not quite as much lock as plaz, more bite, soft compound still doesnt wear much worn about 2 mm in 2 weeks .....done.

Pads: Heatsink coust pads (cnc'd backings)

Time used: 4-5 days

Rim used: onza ronnie

Grind: Yes, slightly dead... I will edit once re-grinded and after the pads have been used for a bit longer

Brake used: Magura hs33 04 with standard booster (2 bolt mounts)

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks without fail when i pull hard on the brake, slight modulation.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: good hold, a more honky noise, a bit deeper than plazmatic crm's

Review: They instantly feel more solid when you pull the lever, you don't get as much spongyness where normal pads flex. The hold is really quite amazing, and they don't really have much modulation which isn't really a bad thing. They work much better in the wet than plazmatic crm's and are about the same as crm's in the dry using my current dead/ weird grind. I am very lpeased at the minute, i will edit when i have tested them for longer.

Pads: kool stops

Time used: 1 year

Rim used: mavic silver 32 hole

Grind: no

Brake used: magura hs33

What is your opinion of a working brake: good bite but slight modulation when required

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: black standard pads

Review: much better than the black pads but and good for flowing moves but anything that involved lots of back wheel work they were shocking. but were really nice after a good clean just with halfords brake cleaner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pads: rimjam blues

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: mavic silver 32 hole

Grind: no

Brake used: magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: good bite and lock with a little modulation

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: standard black pads, kool stops

Review: better for a while then tar needed, then the clips on the backings got completely flattened because they were really weak. so good compound but with shit backings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pads: plazmatic crm

Time used: 8 months

Rim used: mavic silver, later a ronnie

Grind: not on the mavic but a medium on the ronnie

What is your opinion of a working brake: good lock and bite near no modulation

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: standard black pads, kool stops, rimjam blues

Review: lasted ages on the smooth rim, with a tiny amount of tar the brake was better than any grind, with a nice sound. When i put them on the ronnie with a grind they wore really fast, but with awesome braking. they only wore fast though because they were worn to the smooth.

Pads: koxx bloxx browns

Time used: 4months

Rim used: ronnie

Grind: medium

What is your opinion of a working brake: great bite and good lock, no modulation

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: standard black pads, kool stops, rimjam blues, plaz crm

Review: f**king awesome, bite soo well, lock awesomely, surprisingly doesn't wear the grind down either.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Zoo!

Time used: 5 months (2 pairs)

Rim used: Echo 05 CNC

Grind: light

Brake used: 04 maggy, onza CF booster water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: nice noise, modulation, Extreme lockage, Should be able to hold me in whatever condition, Doesnt slip.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They are the best. Ive used Plazmatics, koxx browns, koxx greens, kool stops and maggy blacks.

Review: The best no doubt about it. They are amazing in the dry and wet. I just went for a ride in the snow and :o I had lockage and lots of it. My break always works no doubt about it i can trust it. They tend to wear down a little fast to start off with then they slow down alot and it becomes normal. It has a nice loud cherp, but in the wet it is silent.

Just good all around pads, Amzing noise on the back break.

I have zoo pads on a front HS now and it sounds like a dog geting its tail stood on :ermm: but there the bees knees.

Edited by Jaffacakes

Pads: majics

Time used: a month and a bit

Rim used: sun mamoth

Grind: indeed

tar: f**k no!!!!!!

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: V

What is your opinion of a working brake: one that locks and holds me every time ;) noise is ok i guess.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: fanf**kingtastik! they own x hydras and the heatsink pads i'v used. (reds and blues) but the koxx greens are marginally better :P

Review: at first i thought the wear was a little extreme, they lost around 2mm in 5 minites of riding :S but the lock and hold was amazing :) (amazing) anyway, after i got back on my bike when my finger had healed the brake was still absolutley amazing! just locked and held really really well. and now after a good months riding the wear seams to have stopped pretty much(staying at around 3mm), but the performance has stayed just as good. the wet weather performance is nearley as good as they are in the dry, and they still worked to an acceptable standard with some ice on the rim. i'm really impressed with these pads, well worth the money :D just really really good pads.

Edited by mat hudson

• 3 weeks later...

Pads: Toxsin pads (pink)

Time used: 1 day (8 hours)

Rim used: Koxx Tryall rear

Grind: Yes, quite dead though

Brake used: Magura hs33 05 with standard Lever except for Edd Potts TPA (4 bolt mounts)

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks without fail when i pull on the brake, No modulation.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: good hold, a very squeky noise draggiong them but on trials, a car horn!!

Review: Feel great, I fitted them and for bout 5 mins of trials I was very worried, then I went to meet a mate which meant riding down a hil, dragged it, and it slow changed to a Honking noise and then the wheel locked B) Sweet, I was sooo pleased, Ain't let me down since, I will re-edit with more depth when I have used then more.

Pads: V!Z clear pads

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: Echo 05

Grind: No

Brake used: Standard 06 HS33

What is your opinion of a working brake: Locks well, releases easily, no modulation (on rear)

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: About the same bog standard as magura standard pads! (N)

Review: Don't work well at all, wet or dry, split from backings within 2 weeks - TOTAL CRAP (N):(

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Plazmatic CRM (from Prawn)

Time used: 2 hours at the most

Rim used: Echo '05 CNC

Grind: Yes, Light

Tar: A tiny bit

Brake used: Magura HS-33, water bled, Echo booster.

Review: They were good pads, locked every time, Very little modulation. the only problem i found is they lasted 2 hours!!!! Which isn't good, Pics below are from about 2 hours riding! Not that hard either! All in all a good pad just wear really fast. heatsink reds or blues next I think (Y)

[attachmentid=3820]

Edited by Matt Gibson

Pads: Plazmatic CRM (from Prawn)

Time used: 2 hours at the most

Rim used: Echo '05 CNC

Grind: Yes, Light

Tar: A tiny bit

Brake used: Magura HS-33, water bled, Echo booster.

Review: They were good pads, locked every time, Very little modulation. the only problem i found is they lasted 2 hours!!!! Which isn't good, Pics below are from about 2 hours riding! Not that hard either! All in all a good pad just wear really fast. heatsink reds or blues next I think (Y)

[attachmentid=3819]

[attachmentid=3820]

[attachmentid=3821]

Were they new from prawn though? if they only had half the pad material left, then you put them on a new grind. They are going to bed in and get destroyed by a few mm before they settle.

Were they new from prawn though? if they only had half the pad material left, then you put them on a new grind. They are going to bed in and get destroyed by a few mm before they settle.

Yeah Prawn was selling a load of them but they were a faulty batch as they were wearing out in hours/days, and the normal plaz don't wear out that fast.

Pads: Heatsink reds, cnc backings

Time used: about 3 weeks

Rim used: Ronnie

Grind: Yes, medium

Brake used: Magura hs33 04

What is your opinion of a working brake: locks all the time with out fail

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: very very good

Review: Well as soon as i put them on with a medium grind they were silent, but after a good hours of riding they started to give a good honk and had loads of bite and was holding so so well.

After a week i decided to give my rim a harsher grind .... so i did and the pads were still awesome, but they lost there honk and and went to a super squeaky noise :S ... but still the lock and hold was awesome.

These pads are also great in the wet and still give good performance.

The wear rate is also brilliant, they have only lost around a 1-2 in 3 weeks :)

The cnc backing make so much difference, they just make the brake feel alot more stiffer.

Overall great pads will defiantly buy more red material.

Edited by Gears

Pads: Koxx Bloxx (Green)

Time used: Probably around 2-3months, at least. They're second hand too.

Rim used: TryAll

Grind: Yes/No Yep.

Brake used: Magura/V Magura. 2003. Water bleed, but had it with oil too. Echo Team booster, std. lever.

What is your opinion of a working brake: A brake that does exactly what I want it to, whenever.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pads evaaaaaarz. Outperform the X-Hydras, every Heatsink pad I've ever used, etc.

Review: These pads are amazing. It seems people have forgotten just how good the Koxx pads are just 'cos there's a huge amount of pads available now, and no-one seems to be going for them any more. It's funny how the reason that all the home-made manufacturers came about was 'cos these pads were too expensive, but people are happy to buy new pairs of pads every 2-3 weeks when their's wear out? :P Anyways, solid lever feel, great hold, great bite, they're just the shit, really. Work well in the wet too. All in all, top banana. Work slightly faster than I expected it at first, then just settled down and haven't worn much since (I grind my rim every 2-3 weeks, btw). There's still 2mm left, which means that since June when I got them, there's still 40% material left on the pad which is a FAR better wear rate than I've had with any other pad, 'cept for the CRMs.

May i ask why u used oil and water.. obviously the two don't mix so whats the point?

Pads: Plazmatic CRM

Time used:1month

Rim used:Onza ronnie

Grind: Yes: medium

Ceramic: No

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: good hold with no modulation. A nice squeek aswell.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better than coolstops,

Review: I was impressed with these pads, they had the perfect lock and a nice sound/feel to them aswell. I had them on for a month towards the end of summer so it was all dry and they were awesome.

Pads: heatsink red/cnc backings

Time used: 3-4weeks

Rim used: onza ronnie

Grind: Yes, medium

Ceraminc: No

What is your opinion of a working brake:good hold with no modulation. A nice squeek aswell.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: not as good as plaz when dry, better than plaz when wet.

Review: To be honest I was disappointed with these pads, after the reviews I'd heard i thought they'd be incredible. I freshly ground my rim before I put them on and for the first few hours they were incredible, good squeek and awesome hold. But after a few hours they had worn down my grind completely so it was effectively a smooth rim, i used them for a week or so without regrinding and they were disappointing, no sound, with no hold. In the end I got rid of them because I couldnt handle regrinding my rim every day.

Pads: Majic

Time used:2 weeks

Rim used:Onza ronnie

Grind: Yes: medium

What is your opinion of a working brake: good hold with no modulation. A nice squeek aswell.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better than coolstops, worse than heatsink and plaz

Review: These pads were shite from the beginning, to start with it was a mission to get my brake setup due to getting about 2mm worth of material. They didnt hold, they felt really spongey and had no bite or squeek to them at all, as its starting to dry up again I've put my plaz pads back on and they're one hell of a lot better.

Pads: Majics

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: Onza ronnie

Grind: Yes: Light/medium

Brake used: Magura, water bleed.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Hold all the time and have no modulation.

Review: Well i gave my rim a nice fresh Medium grind before i put these pads on to make sure i will get the best out of them, well ... as soon as i put them they had no bite and no lock and were generally shit. After a good few hours they were still the same, they had no bite or lock or had no noise what so ever ... they just swooooshed with wasnt a very trustable noise. They lost around 2ml in around 1 hour but now they have stayed at around 3ml, after 3 days they were still the same ... maybe worse.

I don't know if it was just a dodgy pair or something i really don't know as people have told me these pads beat any pads on the market and from the vid i seen of them they sounded Beasty!! .... Well i've put these pads on the front now and they seem ok.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Hold all the time and have no modulation.

Review: Well i gave my rim a nice fresh Medium grind before i put these pads on to make sure i will get the best out of them, well ... as soon as i put them they had no bite and no lock and were generally shit. After a good few hours they were still the same, they had no bite or lock or had no noise what so ever ... they just swooooshed with wasnt a very trustable noise. They lost around 2ml in around 1 hour but now they have stayed at around 3ml, after 3 days they were still the same ... maybe worse.

I don't know if it was just a dodgy pair or something i really don't know as people have told me these pads beat any pads on the market and from the vid i seen of them they sounded Beasty!! .... Well i've put these pads on the front now and they seem ok.

They carn`t be all the same compound :S .I`m sure kyle h was usin them on a ronnie rim and they were mint.Also my mate got a pair on a ronnie rim and they where shit aswell :S .

They carn`t be all the same compound :S .I`m sure kyle h was usin them on a ronnie rim and they were mint.Also my mate got a pair on a ronnie rim and they where shit aswell :S .

Mod ronnie rims? mine were shit on one aswell, might be the sortof metal its made of or something? meh. Plaz for the win

Pads: Tensile Bubblegums

Time used: 2-3 months...ish

Rim used: Onza one..Basicaly a Rennie

Grind: Yes/No Yes, but worn

Brake used: HS33. Water bleed. Front

What is your opinion of a working brake: Lock, with modulation

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Awesome compared to my Koxx browns

Review: Best pads for the front IMO.

Don't slip about, they lock, but still have modulation.

They've worn slightly since i've had them, but not loads.

Squeal like fook! And on a grind, makes a horrible 'swooshy/squeaky' noise.

Work well in the wet too. (Y)

I'm sure Kyle runs a Ronnie aswell :blink::S

Ah well ;)

anyone hear my old ones? they were awesome on my ronnie, then i changed to plaz, bought some more majics to give em a try again recently n they were complete shit on the same rim, thought there was a compound change personally :rolleyes:

When abouts did you get them because mine were exactly the same. Mine made an extremely high pitched squeak and did'nt hold at all. Ive got them on the front aswell now. ohh yeh and are you suppose to get 2 pairs of pads because I did?

interesting,

thanx to matt for this

it seems despite All the testing, theses pads work much better on harder rims, such as mavic, Alex and sunn

If you use something like an echo (i know it wasnt good on these) or a Onza, then the performance suffers (due to reading this topic)

As of.......Now, there is a little notice telling you that 'for optimum braking, use on a harder grade aluminium rim such as....'

Sorry for people who think that they arent very good, we have spent months testing these pads but havent changed compound during retail

A new pad is in testing, for sale soon (designed for the more, common, cheaper rims)

Mike