Racism

munkee

That's what happened when the Nazi's came to power in Germany :turned:.

excactly, most people see the options are lib dem (never going anywhere) or conservative or labour (the differnce between them is what?) or BNP and lets face it the first three aren't going to change f**k all so the way alot of the population see it is the bNP are going to get rid of the imigration problem and turn the country around, if they manage that we can ignore the fact they're all mass murder supporting nazi f**k heads (as eddie once said)...

at some point the public will get so f**ked off with the do nothing usual 3 parties they'll vote in an extremist, lets hope a new extremist group turns up before the BNP get in...

so judge people individually, not by their race, gender, creed, religious beliefs, sexual orintation etc etc etc...

I think if most right minded people do that!

But yeah racism (and discrimination) in britain is becoming a bigger problem I feel.

Parties like the BNP is are becoming more popular, but I feel thats because people (mainly lower class) are being made afraid by over zelous news (mainly newspapers) that immigration is a massive problem in the UK (when they aren't being told the whole story, the UK gets a fair amount of legal immigrant (along with other EU countries) and its NOT just the UK that has illegal immigrant problems either)!

And the lower classes have been pretty much ignored by the both cons/labour government since while f**king ages and they think immigrants are getting a amazing deal (which they are not). and they think well maybe the bnp can help them!

Education is the main problem here, kids need to be educated at school on other cultures, so they can be open to other ideas :turned: when I was at school I learnt about abourigionies (woah crazy spelling) and it was interesting, but learning about jewish, muslim or islam beliefs would have been so much more, well...useful!!

crazy ass politcial correctness is also a problem, I meant its getting rediculous. Teachers aren't allowed to say 'blackboard' they have to say 'chalkboard' but they can still say white board, to me that makes things worse and implies a more 'us' and 'them' situation!

and nursary schools aren't allowed to use the nursery rhyme 'baa baa black sheep' because apparently a 100 years ago it was 'baa baa nigger sheep' or something, even though it was changed to black sheep 50 or so years ago. I never even thought of it being as racist until I found out about it. I also thought it was about a black sheep that had some kick ass wool!

Being an epileptic i am meant to be offended by the the phrase 'brain-storm' but honestly i am more offended that my medicine is called 'tegretol retard' and the fact the doc always pronouce it 'ret-ard'

sorry for any spelling mistakes and i hope you can try and understand some of the points i am trying to make

mike

I dont think more people are voting for the bnp its just not as many people go out and vote now for the 'proper parties' so propertional it looks like they are getting more votes.

I for one dont vote call me stupid if you want but politics is all a lie promises are never met and we are tricked into voting for a party.

I will make the effort to go to the voting place but i will invalidate my paper so atleas ti made the effort to go unlike the people that dont bother.

That may sound stupid and hipercritical but thats my logical so dont discriminate me for my views

Edited by Michael Hardman

Racism is discrimination because of someone's race right? Something which is wrong because they can't do anything about it right? So surely that doesn't make it right to take the piss out of anyone for something they can't help, i.e. people who look weird. They can't help being whatever they are just as much as people of a racial minority who may also be considered to "look weird" so how can racism be so much worse than any discrimination for looks. The rules at our school state that racism is punished by expulsion whereas someone could be bullied for looking a bit different (a group of my friends that are "greebos" were all being bullied by a group of chav scum) and they simply get told not to do it again and let off. - By the way this isn't neccesarily my point of view it's just what I though of when I looked at the wider picture.

Racism is discrimination because of someone's race right?  Something which is wrong because they can't do anything about it right?  So surely that doesn't make it right to take the piss out of anyone for something they can't help, i.e.  people who look weird.  They can't help being whatever they are just as much as people of a racial minority who may also be considered to "look weird" so how can racism be so much worse than any discrimination for looks.  The rules at our school state that racism is punished by expulsion whereas someone could be bullied for looking a bit different (a group of my friends that are "greebos" were all being bullied by a group of chav scum) and they simply get told not to do it again and let off. - By the way this isn't neccesarily my point of view it's just what I though of when I looked at the wider picture.

it's a bit different though, because your greebo mates could stop looking like that any time they wanted; they're doing it cos they want to. If my skin was black then i wouldn't be able to change it's colour quite so easily.

it's a bit different though, because your greebo mates could stop looking like that any time they wanted; they're doing it cos they want to. If my skin was black then i wouldn't be able to change it's colour quite so easily.

Inherit the gene Jacko has works well on all the body (expect thoise parts) long lasting and quick :turned:

Why do people talk as if they are the solution to all this?

I've read all this thread and everyone goes on about it as if they know everything and if it was up to them everything would be fine.

Some people are talking as if they are above everyone else. "anyone with an ounce of intelegnce will know bla bla bla bla bla.

The only way to stop racism is to have one race.

I see people being more racist than me when they are trying to defend another race. Its patronising and usually stats with "you can't say that".

I call a spade a spade and use it to dig.

Crude? You speak as though you know over 6 million died. Which you don't. The irony is those who say so as second nature are the crude ones. But there's no need to go off topic.

And you know 6 million didn't die? All of those Jewish people disappeared from Germany, records would probably show that it happened and in what numbers, I have not seen these nor will I try to look. But I'd say div is pretty much right.

I was also called a "nigger" once. And for people here who know what I look like etc, they would say I don't really look anything other than white, maybe a bit tanned but that's it. Anyway my rant over, the only time I show a hint of racism is over immigration. France isn't war torn they have to pass through it first, oh wait bad Health Services and Benefits, that's right flock to England. God almighty don't get me started on that.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but I haven't really got the time to read through the whole thread - seems a lot of people have very strong views on this subject.

These are my thoughts; they are mine and mine alone.

I think the main problem is that we recognise racism as racism. Stick with me on this for a second. In my opinion the moment we stop recognising black people as black, white people as white, Chinese people as Chinese... that is the point at which racism no longer exists.

The problem with society today is that we are expected to distinguish between different people in terms of their ethnic background, colour etc. Even the police have to use codes (IC1 male, IC3 Female etc). This in itself is a form of racial discrimination AND the fact that IC1 is NOT white just proves that race is always at the back of people’s minds.

What i really hate is all this 'Im proud to be black' bullshit. The reason this is wrong is that they are segregating themselves from society. They are showing us that they are different. We need to stop recognising these different groups and start seeing all people as people.

Now I'm not going to lie, I myself distinguish between different people by the colour of their skin, as does everyone else, you included.

The one thing that sticks in my mind with regards to ethnic minorities and the like was actually an episode of 'South Park'. In this episode people grouped together to get the flag of South Park changed because it depicted 2 white people hanging a black person. Now there are obvious reasons why this is wrong, and obviously the whole situation was used to entertain the viewers. HOWEVER - the part that really touched me was at the end of the episode when the flag was changed to show all different colours of people... The South Park children told the adults that they didn't understand what was different about the new flag... The point is they couldn't recognise any difference because all they saw was people.

Wouldn't it be beautiful if we only saw people?

Tall people, Short People, Happy People, Grumpy people - but never black or white people.

Sam

Edited by nichols_sam

Wouldn't it be beautiful if we only saw people? 

Tall people, Short People, Happy People, Grumpy people - but never black or white people.

Sam

No it f**king wouldn't. If all we saw were people then we would lose all individuality.

I'm a geek. I'm happy being a geek. People may take the piss out of the fact that i'm a geek, but it doesn't bother me because it's just one of the many things that make me who I am. If someone said that I was no longer a geek because calling me it made them feel uncomfortable, then I would tell them to sod off and stop pushing their opinion on everyone else just cos it made them feel better.

Andy

No it f**king wouldn't. If all we saw were people then we would lose all individuality.

I'm a geek. I'm happy being a geek. People may take the piss out of the fact that i'm a geek, but it doesn't bother me because it's just one of the many things that make me who I am. If someone said that I was no longer a geek because calling me it made them feel uncomfortable, then I would tell them to sod off and stop pushing their opinion on everyone else just cos it made them feel better.

Andy

you have no idea what he is saying, do you?

I do understand what he's saying, it's just that as soon as people like teachers or politicians start telling us that we should only see people, then you are going down the road to having one big global culture with none of the diversity that we have now.

For example: people somewhere (i think it's a rainforest tribe) have taken to putting wooden plates under their bottom lip to artificially increase its size. Now I don't find this attractive at all, and I certainly wouldn't see someone who'd done it as just another person - i'd see them as someone who had a great big bottom lip. That would be their defining feature. This doesn't make me prejudiced against them in any way shape or form. In fact, they'd probably be chuffed i'd noticed.

In a country where the majority of people are white, then we are always going to see a black person walking down the street as a black person, because this helps us differentiate between them and the millions of other people it could have been. Why on earth are people trying to say otherwise? I just can't understand it because it degrades everyone's heritage to do so.

Edited by on that? u must be joking

I do understand what he's saying, it's just that as soon as people like teachers or politicians start telling us that we should only see people, then you are going down the road to having one big global culture with none of the diversity that we have now.

For example: people somewhere (i think it's a rainforest tribe) have taken to putting wooden plates under their bottom lip to artificially increase its size. Now I don't find this attractive at all, and I certainly wouldn't see someone who'd done it as just another person - i'd see them as someone who had a great big bottom lip. That would be their defining feature. This doesn't make me prejudiced against them in any way shape or form. In fact, they'd probably be chuffed i'd noticed.

In a country where the majority of people are white, then we are always going to see a black person walking down the street as a black person, because this helps us differentiate between them and the millions of other people it could have been. Why on earth are people trying to say otherwise? I just can't understand it because it degrades everyone's heritage to do so.

i was a little blunt earlier and i should have explained myself more.

right imo(<<< very important :D )

you being a geek, thats who you are!! but your not a white geek are you. your skin colour doesn't/shouldn't define who are, what music you should listen too, what hobbies you have.

if you see two trialsriders one white, one black. thats two trials riders, not one white trials rider and one black trials rider.

at the risk of sounding cheesey its whats inside that counts :D

we do live in a multicultural society and imo it would be better for these cultures to be open and not 'your white/black/asian/blue/french/islamic/etc you can't be part of this' it should be 'look come learn about stuff'

i am tired and i hope you can understand my way of seeing things, even though i think what i was trying to say got lost somewhere abput when i clicked the 'add reply' button.

night night (actualy not yet because i have a prezzie for the forum)

mike

Edited by leedstrials

But, if you're describing people you'd use any distinguishing features, such as hair colour, build etc. Why should it be wrong to use someone's skin colour to describe them?

It's when people treat others differently because of their skin colour, then you have a problem. If it's just for description then I see no problem.

True, but I think a lot of the time, people think that because you say a person is black, that them being a different race is all you're seeing. Whether or not that applies to you personally is one thing, but I'm sure it applies to a good percentage of people in Britain. Hence if we just avoid using it, then perhaps people will stop seeing the difference? Anyway, I think that's the theory. I however call people "black" or "asian" to describe them, I don't think it matters in my group of friends. Because it IS a good way to describe people. If you're in a room with 20 people and one of them is Oriental-looking, then it's by far easier to describe them like that. But I can see why people might take offence, especially after lots of racism in the past.

Exactly right there (Mink, that is. Way to screw the order, Tom-ola...). The police use "IC1 male" or whatever because it's bloody obvious! D'you want them to go "The suspect is...well...he's male, and he's wearing clothes." Should we stop even seeing it as male and female seeing as that's another division?

It just seems a bit shit saying "We should stop seeing it". Different cultural heritages have made the world a better place, so denying it just so you can make big happy clappy statements seems a bit shitty/not thought out? The only thing we need to change is how people act when they differentiate between people. Notice the colour of people's skin, but not want to set fire to them for it? Just seeing people's skin colour doesn't mean you're racist. It's an observation. Simply that. It's just information. How you act upon that information is the deciding point.