144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you speed?

• Driving: Yes
    • Driving: No
    • Driving: Occasionaly
    • Non driver: I would all the time
    • Non driver: I would never do it
    • Non driver: Only sometimes

Ok so i was driving home tonight with a friend.. usually i dont speed unless im alone due to not wanting a friends death on my hands if i do have a crash. But i wanted to get home and it was late so did a lot of speeding, not being big headed or anything but i know the route really well so i know when corners are coming up etc, so didnt spend much time under the national speed limit. But i remember a long time ago reading in a newspaper about how some kid hit a girl who was walking on her way home, the mother said and i quote " he made the decision before he left home to speed, thats what killed my daughter ". Ever since reading it i've been thinking more and more about the consequences of speeding and i really want to do something about it, like reflect in my own driving. I passed my test 2 years ago (35000 miles so far on the clock) and havent had any crashes or anything, i dont think of my self as been an amazing driver just competent i do pretty much 40 - 50 miles every time i want to go riding. But then im being a hypercrit because i clearly am not if i speed.. the limits are there for a reason. I went through well over half a year of being a christian driver through choice.. keeping to the limits at first its hard but eventually it was second nature until i left for uni and had no car.. now im back its as if i have a new toy to play with and rag the shit out of my car ( honda civic 1.6 )

I guesse what im saying is lately ive been thinking more about other people and the fact i could go to prison if someone were hit and killed. The consequences are what scare me. Now back to the whole point of the topic. I was just wondering what peoples views were on speeding.. i remember sitting in a car in control for the first time with an instructor and thinking how can people speed its so f**king stupid. But a few months after passing my test it all changed for the worse. So i want to know what current drivers think and what soon to be/want to be drivers think about it all. Im going to do the whole christian driving thing again and stick to it i hope.

If I'm in the car with someone I'm confident about being a good driver (e.g. my Dad because of his advanced driving teaching shit, my brother 'cos he's been taught by my Dad, etc.), it's OK I guess. I wouldn't punch someone's eye in half 'cos they did 75mph in a 60 area or anything, but I utterly hate it when I don't feel 'safe' in someones car who is taking me somewhere. No-one should have to feel like crap when they're travelling somewhere, so it just annoys me...

Yea thats the thing.. i feel safe in my car because i know it so well, it was bought new and has all the airbags and power steering etc etc.. but i just feel like im being so well protected but im the one thats going to end up killing someone if you get what i mean..

Im not saying i WILL kill someone but lets face it.. there is always that chance. But then again you can kill someone going at any speed.

Nice topic man...

erm...i think very much the same as you.

I drive like a fanny, i know it...i don't need to be told....aNd i already have 3 points on my licsence for speeding.

Like you...i do the same route everytime i wanna ride..and i do know it like the back of my hand...corners..speeds all that shizzle, and because of this, i do drive like i own the road. and i know i shouldn't.

Some days i drive like a fanny, sometimes ill be sensible...i don't know why....

But, it could be alot worse...if i'm on a 60..or do...70-80....., if i'm in a 30, ill do 40...

lads round my way go much faster, but thats no excuse for me, i should slow down :D

again, nice topic geeza.

am going bed now. (Y)

Yeah, I getcha. Just a loss in confidence maybe?

Anyway, what I meant was that when people drive like dicks it annoys me as a passenger 'cos I don't feel safe, which is totally un-necessary. It always used to happen here when people used to pass their tests, then just go out on their own with friends in the car (on their own as in no examiner/parents) and drive like retards (i.e. fast with no skill). No fun for the passenger, and it's just needlessly dangerous. Calculated risks are fine, but some people are just tools.

My girlfriend's dad was driving me home at 90 on the motorway while eating a sandwich with one hand and offering me some with the other, he also opened a bottle of coke and answered his phone. Not all at the same time, then a Lambo overtook us at warp speed. Wasn't remotely scared because he's a pretty awesome driver.

I don't drive, but if i did I would speed occasionally - i know its bad!

As for being a passenger - I have felt safe in a car of someone speeding than someone obeying the speedlimit, this is merely because they are a better driver.

On a motorway it doesn't bother me about speeding and I actually think we should have a higher speed limit (or no limit) - expecially since car technology is so much more advanced compared to when the limits were made.

But when it comes to a built up area and I see someone tearing ass in a resident area - i always think they are being a bit of a twat and I have said to friends before to slow down.

More people should think of the consequences of what could happen and look at the area they are speeding in and think more about others, because most of the time - its who they would hit that would end up hurt and not them.

mike

Some days i drive like a fanny, sometimes ill be sensible...i don't know why....

But, it could be alot worse...if i'm on a 60..or do...70-80....., if i'm in a 30, ill do 40...

Exactly what im getting at.. i only used to speed in nationals, its pretty much national for about 6 miles before i get to my house which means 6 miles of solid speeding, which i can deal with because they are not "country lanes" but are like lesser B roads. But then it all started to go in to the 40's and 30 limits i've happily done over 60 in a 30.. when theres no one around in sight etc ( early sunday mornings) but its just made me think what the woman put in the article.. it only takes one person to walk across the road and you hit them... your life will change and your f**ked.

It always used to happen here when people used to pass their tests, then just go out on their own with friends in the car (on their own as in no examiner/parents) and drive like retards (i.e. fast with no skill).

We went through the exact thing at school, soon as someone would pass they would drive us around during lunch etc. Then eventually one after another you would hear about them crashing. I never really drove dangerously because it was a new car that cost a damn lot of money so i didnt want to f**k the car so slowly eased in to the speeding thing. I already talked to my friend about it and he said that im one of the safest drivers. But he is the only person i have ever had in the car that ive been proper speeding.. as if it was only me. I guesse its just a bit of a reality check thats all.

Yeh i do, but i don't intentionally think "its a 30 so i'm gonna go 35/40" i just drive my way along at whatever speed i feel safe at, so sometimes its under, sometimes its over.

I would never drive out of my limits intentionally but i've been caught out a few times already and its kinda scary how quicky it can change from being in complete control to just being another passanger. (wheelspins out of junctions, tires skidding on sharp bends, tires skidding whilst braking for a junction - all unintentional)

I actually think i drive faster becasue i have a slow car, i'm sure if i had a fast car i wouldn't be ragging it, kinda like i have to sub-conciously prove something.

I'm deffinatly going to keep it tame from now on, just cruise along and enjoy my driving, (and save on fuel at the same time).

I'm sure when i have a nice car i'll be able to drive along and enjoy the car for what it is, at the moment my car is bland as hell so i end up trying to spice things up, at stupid risk to others.

As a lot of people say though, sometimes you need a serious scare to knock some sense into you, hopefully i'll learn the easy way.

Ive been driving just over a year now and have just gotten my 3rd car. Its is by far the best car ive had and has cost me a alot of money for it, and the insurance. Its MUCH faster than my other cars and it surprised me alot when I first drove it. I can tell you now, I rag it much less with a faster car. But it is great to really blitz it sometimes. I dont have a problem wih speeding, and a day doesnt pass when I dont do 50 in a 30. I dont see anything wrong with it. I dont mean down peoples streets, but main roads which are 30 are just stupid. I wont overtake on these kind of roads just so I can do 50, but if Im at the front of the pack I will. Its a very touch and go thing speeding. Some people are more dangerous even though they stick to the limits! Its a very individual thing imo

When i start driving i'm not going to speed, ever. However i'm sure there some occasions when i'll go 41mph in a 40 zone. Or accidentaly go 40 in a 30 zone. But i wouldn't ever do it on purpose.

When i start driving i'm not going to speed, ever. However i'm sure there some occasions when i'll go 41mph in a 40 zone. Or accidentaly go 40 in a 30 zone. But i wouldn't ever do it on purpose.

You will.

I was driving down this massive road the other day in one of my driving lessons, could easily fit 4 lanes without a central reservation, and it is basically flat all the way. You can see the pavement clearly and easily, and see side roads easily. I was doing 30 and had to get to the top, and could easily have put my foot down if it was me on my own or with a friend, as i know the road, and would have ample time to slow down if a hazard developed or something changed.

Its the same on this country road, it curves round going down a hill, and you can see for a good mile or so clearly, obviously you have to do 60, but i was more then happy to put my foot down, hell, some 4x4 land rover over took me and i was going 61 ish! b*****d! (Y)

I'm still officially a learner so obviously there's far more onus placed on me to get in good habits and not fail my test (again (Y)" ) Occasionally I'll find myself slipping over the limit, usually in nationals, but I rein it in when I spot it, as for 30s I prefer to stick to 'em and not take my chances, the one image that sticks with me is the government campaign on the TV where it said "If this car had been travelling at 30 it would have stopped here" then slams into a child, because it takes another 12 of so feet to stop at 35. I'd like to think I'm smart enough to realise that I only control what happens inside the car and wouldn't like to jeopardise people outside it too much if they don't look before they cross or something.

Joe

There is a difference between speeding and driving recklessly...

If you are travelling faster than the speed limit but you are fully aware of your surrounding s and know it is safe to do so, then it shouldnt be a problem...

If you speed through a small road with lots of parked cars on either side and a school, then your asking for trouble. Its about driver awareness, and reading your situation. Its easy to drive, but being aware of your surroundings both near and far is the part that most people cannot grasp. And if those kind of people speed, you can have problems.

Have you all forgotten about what happened to DJ last year? It was idiots who thought they were ok to do 70mph in a 40mph zone that killed him!...he isnt with us anymore because of the wrecklessness of others. They too thought they knew the road well enough, but so did DJ. You can't honestly say that it was ok for the @*$*@~#@ to do that to him?

I will admit that in the past i have driven above the speed limit on motorways, but i would never drive above the speed limit in a built up area. One day it could be a family member of yours that is killed, how will you feel then? (I really hope it never happens to you because it wrecks lives) everyone who loved the person that is killed has a responsiblity to ensure it doesn't ever happen to anyone else - so be a grown up and start to change the way that others drive, drive carefully yourself and others might follow in your footsteps.

Sorry if i offended anyone by this reply but i feel it needs to be said.

So to all of YOU out there, learners or experienced drivers - BE SAFE BEHIND A WHEEL AND SAVE A LIFE!!!

love Sue

xxxxx :o (Y) :D :) (Y) :) :deej: :deej: :deej: :D

there is a time and a placeto speed e.g i see no harm in sitting at100 on a 3 lane motorwayat 2am with no other cars around. but speeding at 4pm past a school is not on.

For the person who said i only rag it becuase i have a slow car i think this maybe true everyone i know with a quick car does not rag it, i think this might be due to we know the cars are fast so no need to prove it but people with slow cars probably want to make there cars look better than they are.

As for knowing the roads so your safe to speed...hmm sems a tad stupid becuase you never know the roads, someone may have left/spilt oil all over the road, or an obstical may have fallen into your path which when speeding may cause you 2 swerve badly where as at the speed limit you may just have been able 2 go easily past.

I think speeding is fine as long as the driver knows his and the cars limits and does it at the right time in the right place.

i was out in my boss's car he has a lotus elise that has been heavly modified under the bonnet, where talking super charger the works. we were doing 70- 80 through lanes etc but i dent feel one bit scared but this may of been due to the 5 point harness's and the ammount of car control he has and it werent anywhere neer the limit. he can throw it thorugh a round about at 100 at it wont even break loose. yeah he has barly road legal tires but this is what makes it so safe even at speed.

i was out in my boss's car he has a lotus elise that has been heavly modified under the bonnet, where talking super charger the works. we were doing 70- 80 through lanes etc but i dent feel one bit scared but this may of been due to the 5 point harness's and the ammount of car control he has and it werent anywhere neer the limit. he can throw it thorugh a round about at 100 at it wont even break loose. yeah he has barly road legal tires but this is what makes it so safe even at speed.

your boss is soo cool

(Y)

DAN

Don't lie Mr Silly.

You cannot "throw" a car round a roundabout at 100mph. It WILL "break loose".

But yeah, anyway. I speed...frequently. Everybody does.

However, as has been said before, there are times and places that its ok to do so. I don't drive like a twat through built up areas. I tend to stick to 30mph zones, mainly because I know they are riddled with speed cameras, but also because I couldn't live with myself if I killed somebody.

Anything above a 40, and I will drive faster than the limit. Not because I'm cool or anything, just because I think that if a hazard were to happen, you'd be pretty stuffed at 60 anyway, so going faster than that isn't going to make much difference.

I'm not looking for "cool points" or anything, I'm just telling it the way it is.

...and JT!, you WILL speed. Once you've passed your test, you'll realise just how slow 30 or 40mph is compared to higher speeds, and you won't want to crawl along at that speed for long.

When I started driving, I said I wouldn't speed. Hell, I even said I wouldn't chav my car! Both of which I have now done. But meh, that's life.