Tyre Preasures

Guest Trials Punk

I've been experimenting loads recently with my tire pressures, I chatted with Olly C and was amazed at how higher pressures he ran, so I thought I'd give it a try, I only went as high as 60 P.S.I. I liked it alot, but then I thought I'd try the opposite, and went down to about 12-15 P.S.I. which I really really like! What's annoying is that I have got a slow puncture in the back tube now thanks to those high pressures! :-

And I can't be assed to order a new tube!

use to run 40psi front and rear but now i run 20-25psi up rear and 25-30psi up front, works great, havent had pinches up back for like 8 months now as for the front ah well pinched it once but i dont care if i pinch the front because its less of a hassle to repair than the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

rear:

hutchinson octopus 2.3 on 521 sil w/ hutch green DH tube

- 25psi

front:

Hot S 2.1 on 519 sil w/ standard xc tube

- 25psi

no pinches to date

had Hot S rear before, on 40-45psi w/ mich DH tube an got 4 pinches in a fortnight!!

sticking with afformentioned combo

smithy

None, if you fit the tubes and tire right and do the prelaoding of bed and have a qualty rim you will be fine. I only pump them to that presures then relese them down slowly.

and what would be the point in that.....160psi aint easy to pump up.....ie actually puttin all your weight on a track pump, like to see you try n get 160!!!!! ne1 who has worked in a bs and pumped up a roadie bike to 120psi. i couldnt have got it much higher than that

None, if you fit the tubes and tire right and do the prelaoding of bed and have a qualty rim you will be fine. I only pump them to that presures then relese them down slowly.

LOL... Why bother though? Also, like Ian says, its damn hard to get that sorta pressure! What do you use... a rifle pump!? And what rim tape have you got on that Koxx rim... must be pretty strong to take all that pressure :- Im sure the Koxx rim isnt as tough as a 521... and Mavic reccomend a max pressure of 56PSI with a 2.0" tyre... Here it is...

I dont doubt the fact that you do pump up your tyres to 160 PSI (*snigger*) but if you are... then i suggest you stop - its fookin dangerous!!

• 4 months later...

on the back I run a crappy wtb 2.4 and a second slick and a standard tube on an old sun rhyno. I think I run it at about 30p.s.I, but I dunno cos I don't have a guage :D

the front I run about the same pressure on an irc mythos 2.1k, a standard tube on a mavic f219 disk. I hav'nt had any punctures for about 6 months.

I have now got a guage from santa( :-" ) and on natural I ran 18 psi on the tyre, rim and tube above. But I only weigh 9 stone cos I'm only a nipper. for street, though, I run about 25.

Edited by madbiker66

I ride mod with Luna tyres. I usually use 30-35 psi on rear and 40 psi up front. Althought on my crap old onza t-bird I had to run about 40-45 psi or id get pinch flats straight away because of the rubbish BMX tyres.

Can running a high pressure buckle your wheels faster? because there isnt as much shock absorbance and it goes into the rim, or am I just thinking complete garbage? :-

Noz.

• 1 month later...
Guest reggy bass

I run 15-20 psi in the back and 18-22psi in the front. if your having trouble with grip then I find these pressures great. wieght is another aspect to tyre pressure so if I were you I would keep experementing oh im abou 8 1/2 stone :unsure:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...