.~

Sponge

Heard from a very reliable unicyclist, in my area, quite experienced unicyclist infact. Yeah he's eaten through Try-All rims and DX32s, but this one's lasted him a fair bit. Plus amongst the unicyclist commnity it is regarded as the strongest rim you can get. DX32s are probably one of the strongest bike trials rims for mods, Mark Westlake would certainly agree! Yet this rim is designed to be 3x or so as strong as the DX32.

In terms of material Will, it holds grinds better than Try-All rims definitely, as experimented ages ago. The actual anodized braking surface itself is pretty neat with my oldest Heatsink Batch C Baby Blue pads I gave away for experimenting (uber worn down though). It's damn hard to flatspot, apparantly no one has yet on a unicycle, so will be almost a life time investment for a bike rider, provided the sidewall isn't worn down too quickly. For £22, for a bloody strong rim, you really can't go wrong at all.

Edited by Sponge

Yeah, its a Viz rim. Width is 42mm, says in the description.

Where did you hear this 'Strongest 19" rim' thing from? Just curious!

Err, but, a Viz rim is 46mm in width, whereas Kris Holm is 42.2mm.. plus Viz has a line streaking along the braking surface. It can't really be a Viz rim I don't think...

Well... just checked again, and there's yet another Viz 19" rim? Yeah Ad was right, 42mm.. but it still has a little streak along the braking surface... the Kris Holm rim isn't drilled so has some strength over the Viz even if it is the same..

Edited by Sponge

Err, but, a Viz rim is 46mm in width, whereas Kris Holm is 42.2mm.. plus Viz has a line streaking along the braking surface. It can't really be a Viz rim I don't think...

Well... just checked again, and there's yet another Viz 19" rim? Yeah Ad was right, 42mm.. but it still has a little streak along the braking surface... the Kris Holm rim isn't drilled so has some strength over the Viz even if it is the same.. who knows. :P

Yeah, was gonna say, Viz do 2 widths.

The 'Kris Holm' also has the 'brake wear indicator' - you can see it on the picture.

There is probably some extra flat spot resistance in the lack of drilling, but that won't help prevent the sidewalls denting.

Yeah, was gonna say, Viz do 2 widths.

The 'Kris Holm' also has the 'brake wear indicator' - you can see it on the picture.

There is probably some extra flat spot resistance in the lack of drilling, but that won't help prevent the sidewalls denting.

But the thing with Koxx/Viz/thisRim sidewalls is that they can be easily bent back, even though they dont dent that easy.

If you compare it to a Ronnie, the material is too brittle, and when it does dent, and its bent back, it falls apart.

I say it'll be an option for my next wheel :P

I know for a fact that you can purchase this rim from the manufacturer with or without the brake wear indicator. This is the exact same rim as the koxx/viz/etc cheese. 3x stronger...holds a grind better than try-alls... :P

i guarantee it's the same rim as all the others.

Funny because it actually does hold a grind longer than my cheesy Koxx rim. Certainly longer, no doubt about it, when I tried it out on someone else's bike. and the grind is still not dead, whereas my Koxx rim's grind died much sooner. Unless, they've modified this rim after I tried it out a tiny bit, it shouldn't be the same cheese aluminium as my Koxx rim.

This '3x as strong as DX32 rim' thing is gotten off a unicyclist I know, who eats through 19" rims quite fast, but not this one yet, and he did say it was designed to be the strongest against flatspotting in particular.

Edited by Sponge

Funny because it actually does hold a grind longer than my cheesy Koxx rim. Certainly longer, no doubt about it, when I tried it out on someone else's bike. and the grind is still not dead, whereas my Koxx rim's grind died much sooner. Unless, they've modified this rim after I tried it out a tiny bit, it shouldn't be the same cheese aluminium as my Koxx rim.

This '3x as strong as DX32 rim' thing is gotten off a unicyclist I know, who eats through 19" rims quite fast, but not this one yet, and he did say it was designed to be the strongest against flatspotting in particular.

maybe this unicycleists wheel build is a particularly good one this time?

We collaborate a lot with Kris Holm on Unicycle projects and I can tell you that the rim is exactly the same rim as the Onza ground hog without the hole drillings. It is also the same as the Viz, Koxx and several others. I believe that the wear line is being dropped as he has had several failures with rims splitting along the wear line. This is not a good feature for trials riders. If we produced the rim without drillings or side wall grinds it would be about the same price

We collaborate a lot with Kris Holm on Unicycle projects and I can tell you that the rim is exactly the same rim as the Onza ground hog without the hole drillings. It is also the same as the Viz, Koxx and several others. I believe that the wear line is being dropped as he has had several failures with rims splitting along the wear line. This is not a good feature for trials riders. If we produced the rim without drillings or side wall grinds it would be about the same price

imo it would be better if you sold the rims with the anodised sidewall left on there. anodised is alot better than machines sidewall imo.

We collaborate a lot with Kris Holm on Unicycle projects and I can tell you that the rim is exactly the same rim as the Onza ground hog without the hole drillings. It is also the same as the Viz, Koxx and several others.

(Y)

hog is 47mm and the kris holm one is 42mm ???

Kris has had a lot of trouble with people splitting rims along the breaking surface due to the wear indicators providing a weak spot, that the repetitive twisting would make these rims basically burst along that seam. Since the 2005 model KH Trials Uni was released he's supplied them without the wear indicator to improve rim sturdiness.

The following is a quote from a thread on the Unicyclist Community Forums, about the possible upgrades to KH unicycles for the 06 model year:

The groove is common on bike rims to show the level of sidewall wear due to brakes. I did not ask for it but the manufacturer put it in anyway. If you have a rim that broke along the groove, you can return it for warranty replacement.

All rims sold after April 2005 had no groove. Also the material was upgraded from 7005 T6 aluminum to stronger 7005H T6.

Kris

Loose.

(Y) JT.... you assume things too much. You do realise that the Holm Rim is not exactly the same as the Hog rim, maybe because you are too faithful to Onza/Supercycles to realise that. Read the previous posts JT, I expect you to do that very well, seeing as you stay up till 5am on Trials Forum. So I am quite disappointed with you this time. Kris Holm rim= 42mm, Hog rim=47mm... it's not the same thing, and grinds held pretty decent compared to my Koxx rim.

I'm sure a Unicyclist who competes a lot in comps and gone through a lot of parts, would know quite a bit of info on these products, I'm not the expert, he is the one with all the knowledge passed onto me, I merely thought, why not see if this rim will be popular with bike riders? Obviously, drilling them will reduce it's proclaimed 'super strength' theoritical status. Koxx rims get munched on unicycles on average, DX32s and Onza undrilled rims get flatspotted after some big unicycling. The Kris Holm rim has lasted ages and shown basically no signs of breakage or fatigue on my friend's unicycle. Now he's getting a brand new Koxx Unicycle, we're both counting the number of days his Koxx rim lasts compared to his old one . Then the Holm rim gets chucked back on... :)

I doubt that a 'bad wheelbuild' led to his Onza, DX32, and Koxx rims fail in the past, as most of them were built by the respective companies. He built his Kris Holm rim onto his unicycle, he's no expert at all, probably no better than I am (not that great). It's lasted way longer than any other of his rims have so far, the Onza undrilled rim even danced side to side so much with about 3 flatspots.

Edited by Sponge

(Y) JT.... you assume things too much. You do realise that the Holm Rim is not exactly the same as the Hog rim, maybe because you are too faithful to Onza/Supercycles to realise that. Read the previous posts JT, I expect you to do that very well, seeing as you stay up till 5am on Trials Forum. So I am quite disappointed with you this time. Kris Holm rim= 42mm, Hog rim=47mm... it's not the same thing, and grinds held pretty decent compared to my Koxx rim.

They can be the same, just different widths, undrilled / drilled. If Mr. Onza says they're the same i belive him, over an unreliable sore such as yourself. :)

And as for the whole 'the grind lasts longer thing' it probably will due to the fact that you don't actuly ride from A to B on a unicycle, and even if you do, you wont be doing it for miles. So i supose you'll never drag your brake as much as you do on a trials bike.

You can't compare a rim used on a unicycle, to a different rim rode on a trials bike.

Edited by JT!