2005 Photo Comp

F-Stop Junkie

I think the alteration is wrong. It should be a case of displaying what you can do with a camera, not what buttons you can click and what filters you can add. Where is the satisfaction of taking a crap photo and letting a program do what you should have done in the first place?

If you got the exposure/composition/ect wrong, then try again until you get it right, not admit defeat and alter it with a program.

Frankly, that's bollocks. You don't know if you've got the shot instantly - never stopped me when I was shooting film.

I seem to remember a 3am conversation on MSN with you where you posed the question of "If a teacher gives one set of pupils one roll of film (or something along those lines), and the other group as many rolls as they want, who'd end up with the better picture?" :(

When I first started using an SLR I tried to keep track of different settings, etc, but then I hardly ever had money to develop photos, so it was difficult to find out what worked. Digital cameras certainly make it easier.

I think minimum manipulation should be ok - B&W, brightness. But then, do we allow cropping? I like seeing a photo that was well composed at the time it was taken, not trimmed later. I think all photos should be 640 x 480, submitted as a high res JPEG.

When I first started using an SLR I tried to keep track of different settings, etc, but then I hardly ever had money to develop photos, so it was difficult to find out what worked. Digital cameras certainly make it easier.

I think minimum manipulation should be ok - B&W, brightness. But then, do we allow cropping? I like seeing a photo that was well composed at the time it was taken, not trimmed later. I think all photos should be 640 x 480, submitted as a high res JPEG.

The only problem with dissallowing manipulation is that many people will do it anyway, without you knowing . .. . .

So I say - do whatever the f**k you want to em, but be warned that judges may take badly to over the top digi effects and blatant cheating....

oh and Id say max res 1024 by whatever that one goes with . . . . i mean its not going to be a massive file size . . . . off the camera its only a meg !!

Why is this so hard to define? One camera club I know have a rule for their print or slide competitions. The rule is that an image is an image. You can argue till the cows come home about how it was done, real filters vs ps filters, etc, etc.

So, in the interests of getting things moving, how's about we say that any image is allowed. Since this is done with a public vote rather than panel of judges, we'll let the TF world say what they like.

Max res of 1024 along the longest edge. Images must be taken by the entrant.

Everything else is fair game.

Entries sent to me by 01/01/06, where I will put up a series of topics with a poll in each. Winner goes through. Details with each image must include a name for the image and your real and TF name. Any extra details will be posted alongside the image.

• 1 month later...

Good lord!!

Going back to the old skool then Chris ;)

I think for this, a B&W Ilford HP5, in the Nikon F3 with motordrive attatchment will be perfect. Cant handle all this digital malarky!!

Well personally, i prefer a Canon 300D with 300mm Ultrasonic ColgateShineBrite Base Plates held stable by a Manfrotto medium video tripod with enlarged CorsaNovaBugati feet, coverd in maple syrup, 100's and 1000's with a very, very, very large cherry on the top. lmao, sorry had to!

I may give this a go! But yea, 300D atm.

Nice one Chris!

J.