The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, Synergy said:

Anyone on here experienced or knowledgeable with diet plans?

i had signed up for one with a trainer but didnt see enough change in the two months i was on it (i know ti obviously takes time)
I also felt there wasnt enough variation food wise (is this normal for 2 months)?

I currently weigh 80kgs but not wanting to get much bigger size wise more cut down the body fat.

Activity wise i dont trials bike as much these days so its more freeweights 4 times a week and ice hockey 3 times a week.

14872585_10154828892388968_622731091_n.jpg

Drop the carbs of meal 1, Insert cardio (Y)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Not that I really know anything about it, but I thought calisthenics were done without any equipment at all?

You need some level of equipment to balance your body out. You need access to a pullup bar/gymnastic rings to do pullups from and most people have a set of parallette bars in one form or another. The main ideal is the use of your bodyweight as resistance although lots use additional weight as their strength progresses. Mostly done unweighted though as you can modify most exercises to increase the difficulty and load. 

I occasionally add weight but most of the time 15 stone is more than enough! 

• 1 month later...

Been lazy these last three years and lost every slight gain i had, ive gone from being skinny 9 stone to slim toned just under 13 stone, to a fat 13 stone(maybe more) lorry driving slob.

Keep getting it into my head that i have to change, but after signing up to some shite gym around the corner from work, i literally feel too embarrassed to work out, no clue why. But i cannot allow my weight to keep rising, intaking all these calories and not burning them off because im sitting for 13 hours a day is one of the reasons i am thinking...
But i have had a thought, if i smash out legs, as much as possible, like every day/other day, would this not burn fat off the fastest?

Legs by far have become my weakest point, even running about ruins my ankles now, all my fat sits around my gut/lower back. Its vile.

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, downhill_rob2@hotmail.com said:

Christ, first time back on TF for around 6 years... cant believe this post is still going haha.

I'm in the same boat as TROY... havent really entered a gym for around 7 years, havent rode my bike for around 5 years, weighing a good 14stone now! oops. Ah well :D

Fellow Fatty :D haha, as much as i keep trying to convince myself to go, i probably go around 3 times a month. How the f**k did i get motivated before...

I think small, rolling changes is the way to go. A huge change in diet and / or exercise habits won't stick.

Swap a pie for a sandwich. Then a sandwich for a wrap. Then a wrap for a salad with good quality protein.

Swap a chocolate bar for a yoghurt. Swap that for a piece of fruit.

Drink plenty - start with fruit juice or something if you're currently hooked on dirty, sugary, takeaway coffee (for example), then swap that for no added sugar squash, then ween yourself onto water. 4L a day minimum for good hydration and maximum fat burn.

A few of these sort of changes gradually will reduce your calorie intake significantly without you really noticing, and it'll stick.

Exercise - again - start small. Park a bit further away from shops so you have to walk, do a bit of stretching every morning, soon you'll feel up to more meaty exercise and get 'the bug' again! Your body will start to crave exercise and that's when it becomes easy...

I had a similar sort of thing - rode a lot of trials for a long time and hung around 80kg. Then stopped exercising as much and turned into a bit of a blob, still at the same weight. Then changed my eating habits gradually like above, dropped 10kg of fat, then started doing some proper exercise again and added 10kg of muscle. Now I've relaxed it a bit and hovering around 77-78kg but eating pretty much what I want around consistent and enjoyable activity.

To be fair though, because you did it the right way I'd imagine that "what you want" to eat is now healthier than previously?  That's kind of the thing I find with eating - if you get into/build habits the right way they stick way better, and it doesn't become a thing you 'have' to do but just 'what you do'.

Semi-related in that it shows that the way you frame things makes a big difference:

"[The phrase] I don’t is experienced as a choice, so it feels empowering. It’s an affirmation of your determination and willpower. I can’t isn’t a choice – it’s a restriction, it’s being imposed upon you. So thinking “I can’t” undermines your sense of power and personal agency.

The difference between thinking “I don’t” and “I can’t” can be quite dramatic. In one study, students with a healthy eating goal were instructed that when faced with a temptation, they should say to themselves either I don’t do X or I can’t do X. (e.g., I don’t eat candy versus I can’t eat candy.) On their way out of the lab, they were told that they could choose a token of appreciation for their participation in the study: a chocolate bar or a granola bar. Who chose the healthier option? Sixty-four percent of those who said I don’t, compared to only thirty-nine percent of those who said I can’t.

In another study, twenty adult women who were working toward a health and fitness goal were encouraged to use either I don’t or I can’t language when they were tempted to lapse (e.g., skip the gym, grab a donut, etc.) On each of the next ten days, these women checked in via email to report on whether or not the strategy was working for them – if not, they were told they could stop using the strategy. By the study’s end, 8 out of the 10 women using the I don’t strategy were still using it successfully, while only 1 of the 10 who used I can’t lasted that long."

I've personally found that it rings true for me, and also does in a positive sense if you switch it to "I do _____" vs. "I can ____".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

To be fair though, because you did it the right way I'd imagine that "what you want" to eat is now healthier than previously?

Maaayybbee. Inner fat man still comes out of hiding every now and again though :lol: Example: Made a massive apple crumble pie (yes, you read that right) at the weekend, using a whole block of butter. Was gone by Monday breakfast. That was after a week of eating BBQs and pasties and ice cream and pancakes on holiday. Back to salad this week :( Do feel a f**kload better for it though!

Yeah, I think that will never really leave.  That's the thing for me, too - despite me not being particularly thin Nic and her family often talk about how it must be that I don't put weight on and can eat all different stuff but that's definitely not the case.  I know that I'm a fat b*****d at heart, and I can eat my own bodyweight in pretty much anything I like the taste of.  It's just moderation though, but also having it so your 'normal' (rather than your 'fat f**k deviation') choices are a certain way.  After not eating sugary stuff for a couple of weeks I can feel the difference when I'm walking around the supermarket, and what I'm getting drawn to more.  That then seems to boost it all too because you start making more positive choices, you recognise that and feel better for it, so you're then feeling better for eating better, and also feeling better about feeling better.

I think my main downfall is due to my portion sizes... i like a BIIIIG scran... haha. i eat reasonably healthy, with the occasional sweet (cake, chocolate bar etc) but my main source of calories come from the amount of food i eat each meal haha. i cant just have 2 weetabix, i need 6... i cant just have 1 bacon role, i need 2... that sort of thing haha. i also work shifts, so my routine always changes, which is also what i'v found to be a killer for gaining weight... not to mention i have a dodgy as hell knee and a bad shoulder which stops me exercising (making excuses now, i should just accept that inner fatty of mine! XD)

Edited by downhill_rob2@hotmail.com