The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

21 hours ago, isitafox said:

Nope, only ever broken my ankle

Theres a guy who used to be on here called Simon Lord, I know hes helped a lot of riders with injuries in the past and when I damaged my heels last year he called me off facebook and was able to give me a pretty good diagnosis based on photos and stuff, might be worth giving him an add on facebook before you shell out on a physio or something..

• 1 month later...

Nice! It's such a good feeling when you get to a new full plate milestone.

I've started to do dead hangs to stretch out my lower back after squats and deadlifts. Literally just hang from a bar for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat and my back feels much looser the next day.

1 hour ago, Haz said:

Nice! It's such a good feeling when you get to a new full plate milestone.

I've started to do dead hangs to stretch out my lower back after squats and deadlifts. Literally just hang from a bar for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat and my back feels much looser the next day.

41 minutes ago, isitafox said:

You want to try some isometric training to help with the deads, can also do it for bench and squats as well but you can look a right berk doing it! 

Thanks guys, I will most definitely give these a go. Never heard of isometric training, but I was once given a chest 'power gauge' I think it was called which was essentially a spring within a tube with handles at either end. The idea was that you squeeze it as hard as you can but you could never fully compress it, sounds like the same kind of principle. 

I will do some deadhangs now on the stairs and let you know what tomorrow brings! 

On 15/05/2015 at 3:26 PM, isitafox said:

Just need to consume more calories than you burn in a day, obviously not fat though!
I have a weight gain protein shake after working out that has about 4-500 calories and in a morning I have a big bowl of porridge followed by a protein shake if I'm at home or I'll have the shake before I leave for work and the porridge when I get here. Just need to seriously hammer some food down!

3 scoops porridge oats
2 scoops chocolate stevia whey protein
1½ scoops creatine monohydrate
1 dessert spoon (and a generous one at that!) smooth almond butter
1 banana
300ml semi skimmed milk
splash of water (to clean the blender and get the last bits out)

:cheers::wub:

Took me a while to find that quote. Just worked out the macros on my current version of this, recipe as follows:

1½ scoops porridge

1 60g serving GoNutrition Ultimate Whey

Dessert spoon (50g) smooth almond butter

Medium banana

285ml skimmed milk

Calorific content, wait for it.... 

Fat 36.6g Carbs 75.2g Protein 82.3g Calories 973

If you want to put some weight on get one of these down a day! 

Looking for tablet creatine, fish oil and a multivitamin.

Heard that the My Protein creatine tablets are huge, I think JD (can't tag as too many JD's come up) was saying that a while back. Not sure what else to go for, will probably end up going MP anyway unless someone expresses an opinion. 

Fish oil wise, there seems to be a large range between the amount of omega-3 in them- do you just go for the one with the most? Holland and Barrett do one with  250mg DHA and EPA but I'm not sure if that's a good amount or not. 

Thirdly a multivitamin, not hugely fussy but would be interested in which ones you take/any opinions you have on it. 

Cheers!

I know it's no big deal to most of you lot, who are doing far more weight far more consistently, but... I've always struggled massively with my bench press. I've been gaining body weight, and I've never been able to get 5x5 at body weight on the bench. It's been a real mental and physical barrier, but I just got it and I'm stoked.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JD™ said:

I know it's no big deal to most of you lot, who are doing far more weight far more consistently, but... I've always struggled massively with my bench press. I've been gaining body weight, and I've never been able to get 5x5 at body weight on the bench. It's been a real mental and physical barrier, but I just got it and I'm stoked.

I struggle in this department too but only on the bench press itself. I can shift more using dumbells than on the bar- down to bad form I imagine. 

Nice work on the PB!

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, TrialsIsHard said:

That's cool B) Just doing it for fun? 

As I'm in this thread, Aldi now does coconut oil 300g for £2.99! Cold pressed and organic so good for hair and skin as well as cooking. 

Yeah mainly but if I do additional courses I can teach the odd class at my local gym

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned before that I struggle with bench. I got to body weight on 5x5 a few months back, and then hit another plateau. For that reason I've just been doing dumbell press for a while at higher reps to get some variety. Just gave it another go and cracked 80kg while I weigh just over 70kg. Still not very much to most, I know, but huge for me. Maybe in a years time I won't even look like a preteen girl :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guy! noob in need of your advise etc etc. 8 month ago I was involved in a bit of a crash. which forced me to move back in with my Mum. since then I've gained around 1.5/2stone! which needs to be gone. I have since then started doing a hell of a lot of road cycling (lost my licence) 
1 - for fun, gets me out the house for an hour or 3
2 - to try and get some of the weight shifted
3 - doing the C2C in September 

I've lost about half a stone maybe less in about 3-4 months. I've now joined the gym, which took me from February just to walk in there. 
I have a card which was made up by the guys in the gym that took me on the induction. which are as follows:

Day 1
Chest - presses 8 x 3
Chest - flys 8 x 3
Back - Pull down 8 x 3
Triceps - Pushdown 10 x 3
Abs - Crunch 12 x 3

Day 2 
Delts - presses 10 x 3
Delts - Side laterals 10 x 3
Thighs - ext 12 x 3
Biceps - curls 10 x 3 
Abs leg raises 15 x 3

Day 3
Chest - presses 8 x 3
Chest - flys 8 x 3
Back - Pull down 8 x 3
Triceps - Pushdown 10 x 3
Abs - Crunch 12 x 3

I've set my own weights, for what I feel comfortable doing over the reps. I go 3 times a week and just repeat day 1 on day 3. should I stick to that and see what the results are? I know it will take a while to see results. 

AND, is there any sups you recommend? pre workouts? post workouts? Like I said total noob here. any help would be AWESOME!

Is your goal weight loss then?

If it is your diet is most important - 80% diet 20% gym/physical work. 

Calculate your resting metabolism and take away 500. Eat around that amount of calories and you will shed weight very quickly without too much trouble. 

Don't bother with any supplements other than the basics multivitamin, essential fatty acids, and whey. Even they are to supplement a good diet. 

Don't bother with fat burners they're all bullshit. None of them work in reality. 

There are many compounds you can use to aid weight-loss though such as ephedrine, clenbuterol, dnp etc all of which I wouldn't recommend! 

Workout could do with changing if you wanna put on some serious size. But if strength and weight loss are your thing. I would highly suggest keeping it simple and full body. 

1 compound and 1 isolation per body part. Except arms. Do not work arms.2 days rest in between sessions. Train Monday next time you train is Thursday. 

Example a body part could be-   

Compound -  Chest press

Isolation -  flies 

Edited by bike_dummie

In at David Lloyd gym at Trafford Park on Monday for my Fitness Instructor course, absolutely bricking it! I'm pretty sure I can easily cover how to do exercises and how to use the various machines it's just the plan and instruct an hour long workout (mainly instruct) and the exam that's freaking me out. The only positive bit is if I fail on a certain element I only have to retake that specific bit rather than the whole lot, just need to get this out the way then I can crack on with specific courses like Kettlebells and Calisthenics and not have to worry about getting tested on the science side of things again!