Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

Woooo! Thread taking off nicely.

Picked up the car today, and blimey its a goodun! needs a couple of things but guy was totaly honest, has been the family car when first bought and 2nd car for a good few years (hence low milage). Genuine 1 owner, 82k miles, FULL history and reciepts- VAG history until out of warranty/MOT time then exclusively a single local garage!

Drives very nicely, smooth good power, no smoke. Can be a little hesitant to start.

Lots has been done to it, and it was MOTd end of jan, tax till october and even came with 3/4 tank of fuel! All that for a bargain £450!

Bad points:

Fog lights in grille have been removed as one was smashed and wouldnt get through MOT with it, so there in boot, just need a replacement for one.

couple of scratches on one side, a couple of rust bubbles on the other side and tailgate- don't look serious and theres a lot more metal compared to a mini!

Cam belt has never been changed, so am going easy on the engine till thats done.

needs a service- oil, filters ect. I was planning on doing this anyway, good practise on a car you don't know.

Exaust looks/sounds a little worse for ware, but it got though the MOT so is not an immediate concern.

Feels like bushes may need doing (a bit wooly on the steering and handling, especially at speeed) but this is to be expected on a 18 year old car, and i was planning on polybushing it anyway.

Will give it a good clean later this week and get a haynes manual and get servicing before i do any mroe major driving in it. The long run back should have done it good anyway.

Some other nice cars in this thread!

I don't personally have a VW, well a car for that matter!!

But i have a couple of mates who are really into Vdubs. My housemate has a tidy mk2 with a few things done, gti interior and cam shaft etc. The other is a bit more extreme, he has a corrado 20vt 4x4, can see more details about it here.

I very almost bought another of my mates mk1 with a gt engine in, but the rents wouldn't lend me the money i needed for it. pic below

[attachmentid=2771]

post-35-1141135150_thumb.jpg

Anyone know any decent VW forums? Ive been struggling a bit getting to my cambelt, and come across a couple of things that need sorting on the way, and i could do with being finished by tomorrow ngiht! The haynes manual isnt being very helpful.

Ive moved the alternator, removed drive belt, removed waterpump pulley and taken top half of cambelt shield off. Ive also taken all the bolts out of the crankshaft pulley, but theres a central bolt holding it on, and i need to remove this to remove the pully and hence remove the lower cover. This central bolt is a star type, not hex, but fits in a "drives on flats" socket. It just wont budge, which ever way i turn it!

If you turn it, its turns the engine, so stuck it in gear, now turns the wheels! got assistant to hold footbrake on (cars on axle stands) while i turn, and it just wont go!

the belt looks ok, so if worst happens, i will put the stuff back and do everything else and do the belt another time.

Also, when i removed the airfilter, there was a load of crap on the inlet side, and a load of oil on the engine side of the filter :S . I suspect this is why its been running rich! Theres a pipe which looks like it needs replacing that goes from the rocker cover to the engine side of the filter housing, i think this is something to do with the oil in the filter- what does it do?

Why is there such a long intake pipe, and is it worth routing away from the innner wing? there seen to be other wierd things along the pipe too, so i don't just want tot get rid of it!

this cars older than my mini, yet feels too modern lol! i would hate to work on a properly modern car!

Calm down nick! i was asking you as it was a general question and you are the person with most mechanical knowledge that i know :P

Seriously, if anyone knows where i can get a step by step cambelt walk through id be most delighted!

just had a thought i may need a new rocker cover gasket if i take the rocker cover off to set TDC :(

Ahhh! very tempted to just replace everything, do oil and filter change, clean and sort airfilter to stop it running rich and continue driving like a granny until i have a bit more time on my hands (and the knowledge) :rolleyes:

I now know how lucky i am ownign a mini! any problems, and a search on google or one of the good forums will almost certianly come up with a very detailed step by step, probably wiht pictures! Get a golf, and i cant find anyhting! the haynes manual isnt even as good as the mini one :P

wo wo wo guys!!!!

will you all calm down! i was having a laugh!

the mini thread ISNT going to die..... EVER.

dont all you bastards know that i love VW's? and that the only car id consider other than a mini would be a VAG motor? either a 1.8t A3 if i end up flush in a few years, or a mk2 16v GTI if i dont.....

for christs sake, calm down!

the mini thread aint going anywhere you bastards.... and hopefully, this one wont either!

personally im loving the red mk2 gti on page 1...... thats just my dream daily driver right now.....

To be fair nick it's you that needs to chillax a bit, your the one with all the !!! etc...Everyone else has just said for you to take it easy...and you're going skitz...

Neither of the threads will stop as there is interest in both car manufacturers....it's not a competition nick!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................!

it would appear that my excessive use of the ! key has landed me in it once again.... its not ment to be aggressive, or stressed in any way guys.... its just me messing around :( i know its not a competition in any way at all!

i respect you guys just like i respect the mini guys.... as your spending time and money on something you love!

if i hated the VW scene, id understand you guys thinking im serious.... but knowing full well that i love VW's, surely you guys realise im just having a laugh, after you lot so rudely interupted out mini thread so much :P

edit: had i been on my desktop most of the !!! in the above post would have been replaced with various smilies, which may have made it come across differently....

being on the laptop its easier to just type away, and i dont know the shortcuts to the TF smilies.... so i just did !!! a lot!

sorry guys :P

i love you all really :D

Can anyone help me??

giving up on cambelt for this week- it looks ok, and is tight, and just went through reciepts and it was done in 98/55k so should survive another couple of weeks until i know exactlyhow to do it, and gather all nessesary bits together.

Need to source new drain plug or plug washer for oil change in the morning, and a bit of ruber pipe so try and stop this oil behind the airfilter! An one know what the 1/2" dia rubber hose that runs from top of rocker cover to right side of 1.6 8v airbox do? mines split! Ive got oil on the carb side of my filter, so i presume its something to do with this!

Im not sure if the new airfilter will lean the enigne enough(black plugs- lumpy runnign when cold, strong smell of unburnt petrol form exaust), so may need to adjust carb a tad too. will see.

woo! car running again.

Changed oil and oil filter, replaced plugs, changed airfilter and modded air box so its not getting air from the wing but the front of the engine bay, also removed the broken breather pipe conecting airbox to rocker cover, which was also sending oil up into the filter. blocked off the hole left on the airbox, and installed a breather filter on the rocker cover- bling bling lol.

Put some fuel sytem cleaner petrol additive in the tank, and is all SOOO much nicer. stopped the lumpy idle, revs better has better power and should have better economy if the new airfilters stopped it running rich.

also got the cd player in place without wires breaking! (its crammed behind there!). That and the JBL 3 inch dash speakers is better than stock- but obviously not amazing. have disconected rear speakers as there as fecked as the front ones were and jsut rattle rather than play music!

As funds are tight, and i want a stock look, im very tempted to just replace the 4x6s with jbl's in the back and see what its like. don't want to fling speakers in the shelf, as it will be going in and out a lot with bikes.

i would love an 8inch sub, maybe a 10 in the back, but have no money, and cant be arsed to route the cabling right now!

the other option is to install my 5" components i have spare into the doors, and wire them up to the rear terminals of the HU and keep the front outputs going to the dash speakers. if i can then get a some bass blockers for the little dash speakers, the sound stage should be pretty good, and itl have a bit more thump.

needs time, creativity and probably dash removal to feed the wires into the doors though :(

Thats damn sexy :$

so many things I want to do before summer arrives but so little time :(

EDIT* Also I have a set of BBS G40 wheels like this

IPB Image

Im getting mine refurbed but im not sure if I want them powdercoated a dark black/grey or just normal plan silver like in the picture :( what do you think?

my car is grey on the front page by the way not black

Edited by pinky