Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

A quick question to the aircooled crew. I am currently in a restoration job with my brother in law on a 1973 beetle. Its his build but im doing all his welding for him. We are both wondering how much power you can put through the standard gearbox before it becomes a problem? He's looking at a 2ltr turbo pre built motor. And also will i need to reinforce the rear of the chassis because of the increase of power?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have really wanted a Golf Mk1 1.6 Gti for a while now and was wondering is the handling and performance good on them? Are they expensive to insure? How much would it cost for a decent one? Are they're any common faults? Are they bad for rust?

Thanks, Kieran :)

Hi everyone, I have really wanted a Golf Mk1 1.6 Gti for a while now and was wondering is the handling and performance good on them? Pretty lively, easy enough to bang a modern engine in when you get bored Are they expensive to insure? Depends on your circumstances, get some quotes :huh: How much would it cost for a decent one? Depends what you call decent, where you look and how patient you are, £100-10,000 Are they're any common faults? All sorts :P Are they bad for rust? They're 30 year old cars, of course they are :lol:

Thanks, Kieran :)

No problem Kieran :P

From a quick google, they're about 9 seconds to 60, 130bhp/ton so what I'd call nippy. Not quick quick, but to a young person used to typical young people's cars it'll feel pretty fast.

Handling wise they're a good laugh, and seem to have a lot of potential when modified. My Scirocco was mk1 golf GTI under the skin (minus the fuel injection) and even on budget coilovers it was definitely above average round the bends compared to most hatchbacks, (when not slammed on the deck anyway) but I'm not sure how similar the ARB's and stuff are on the 1.6 golfs, and the Scirocco is lower and stiffer than a golf. The handling wasn't the best feel wise, (although I am now used to an mx5, which takes a hell of a lot to beat), but there was tonnes of grip, and a nice progressive breakaway when it did break loose, with a nice controllable balance of under/oversteer.

They seem to be pretty decent reliability wise, but the mechanical injection system's pretty complicated if it does go wrong and you're not used to things like that. They do rust though, I'm not sure on the exact spots, I know the rear axle mounts can get crusty, other than that just check everywhere. Parts are still easily available, and tend to be cheep, even from VW them selves.

If I remember correctly, there's 2 different 1.6 engines, one with combustion chambers in the head, and the other earlier one with a flat head and dished pistons, which can be identified by the top hose position where it goes into the head. (between cylinders 2 and 3 on the flat head ones, and 3 and 4 on the later ones, I think.)

Any mechanical/technical questions ask away, I've got a few mates who own/have owned mk1s, and like I say, the Scirocco was mk1 under the skin. (and is still for sale if you fancy it wink3.gif)

• 2 years later...

7a241f20c6932d4391048b69857bff17_zpse98d

WagonLife.

Winter wheels on at the minute, while my 3sdms are off I'm getting busy painting them. Going full 9.5" all round too with more lows.

My pa's 1970 westfalia left hooker....

IMAG0511.jpg

Never welded, fully rebuilt 5 years ago. Lowered a spline all round on Porsche 356 rims.

• Like 3

Here's my Lupo, Just a 1L as its my first car. Im currently in the process of smoothing my front bumper, That's not going well though as the first attempt cracked when trying to fit it!

10145174714_83c1ccb2cf_c.jpg

No way, you're on club lupo right? Been envious of this car for a while! I've been looking into roof racks for mine, I love the look of them

No way, you're on club lupo right? Been envious of this car for a while! I've been looking into roof racks for mine, I love the look of them

I am indeed mate, Small world!

Yeah I love the roof racks, Shame there my mates and not mine. Hes bought them for a Lupo he cant drive yet, So I have them in the mean time.

He bought them from someone on the Club Lupo Facebook page, Got them for about £45. There Seat ones though, Not VW.

Meant to say that your Lupo is looking nice too!

I'll have to have a look on that page then!

Cheers buddy, wanting some new wheels for it now, on the lupo forum if you look at the thread called Henry there's some wheels on that car I love the look of

RSL cults 14" 8j front 9j rear with huge dish haha