Sidehops.

Dan6061

I know that left footed people usually sidehop to the right, but recently i've been practising them, and it feels comfortable doing them to the left.

I managed about 32"(?) the other day. - To the left.

Does anyone else hop the same side as their good foot?

Or shall I just learn them all over again, but the other way? :(

I side hop to the front with my right foot forward, and i never see how the pedal gets in the way. But it may be different for other people. And thats with side hopping around 39" I've thought about relearning to the other side but every time i try it just seems like hassle. When the way i side hop now feels fine. I guess its your own preference though.

Alex

So i'm not in the wrong then?

S'all I wanted to know really.

Cheers guys. (Y)

Your certainly not in the wrong, I am the same. Left foot forward, sidehop to the left although I have been doing them to the right recently but it just doesnt feel right up walls to me as I am always scared of hitting the mech. (N)

The only reason people say its wrong, as mentioned above I think, is that your foot can catch the wall on the way up easier, hindering your height. I feel this is just something a few people experienced and its spread as look at Neil Tunnicliffe, he can sidehop over 50" and does it the 'wrong' way.

Edited by scunnytrials

i uded to sidehop to my left and i'm left footed buti recently changed like 2 months ago and it's so much better a went from 40" max sidehops to like 45" wen i changed really does help alot i needed to purchase a fresh prducts tensioner for this because i ride stock even though i have snapped it they last alot longer than a mech on a hanger :P

I used to be the same as Rob (^^^) but one day me and manning where messing around trying opperisite sidehops and we learnt then. Now I side hope all the time to my "bad" side, the left. I know that Sam Wheeler used to side hop right, not he side hops left. Its the only way to perfect the move!

I am left footed and sidehop to the left. There was nothing wrong with this until I started falling off rather badly if the rear wheel didn't make it onto the ledge. That's why last year I started to learn sidehopping to the right. It took me about 3 days of practice to be able to do it onto about 90cm. Progressed a lot and a few weeks later I was doing them onto 105cm which is more than I could do to the left. This was due to no fear of falling off and being able to get closer to the object before launching upwards.

Practice doing them to the right, it will really make your riding better. Furthermore a good trials rider should be able to do things both ways :)

And if you decide to sidehop to the right discontinue doing them to the left. You shouldn't forget how they're done, yet you will forget how to sidehop to the right if you don't do them too often.

I'm left and sidehop left, generally.

I can get to just under bar (40" or so) on me twentysix inch.

Two things i have found:

1. I sometimes hit my left pedal on the wall doing larger sidehops, this is not good funs.

2. Tucking feels alot better when goign to the right. I can get to around 30" to bad side, and because you don't have to bend your rear leg A TON it doesn't feel so retarded. I'm yet to fail a sidehop to the right (i'm not amazing, just scared of bending my mech to shit) and feels pretty good.

Anyways, go team!

2. Tucking feels alot better when goign to the right. I can get to around 30" to bad side, and because you don't have to bend your rear leg A TON it doesn't feel so retarded. I'm yet to fail a sidehop to the right (i'm not amazing, just scared of bending my mech to shit) and feels pretty good.

thats correct, i keep hitting my chest against the left leg/knee and that's VERY unpleasant

doing it to the right solves this problem

I side hop to the front with my right foot forward,

How do you do that then? Got a vid? :P:lol:

Im right footed, hop to the right. Going left feels just odd. I can do it but dont like to. I've found however that because im right foot forward, i learn over to the right to sidehop and when I land, im putting most of my weight on my right foot:

learning over to right already + more weight on the right = lots of hops to the right once ontop of the wal to get my balance back

Annoying but going left feels wrong :S

your all freaks!! :-

saying that though, I spent the first 3 years of riding doing them to the right (I am right foot forward)

One day I just started doing them the other way and it eas muuuuch nicer :)

I was the same. It always felt weird going to the right (being right footed) but i never thought i would be able to do it the other way. One day i tried the other way and never went back.

Went from about 30" to 45".

I Sidehop to the left and i'm left footed. I don't think it really matters whitch side you want to sidehop.. There is no right or wrong way for any move. I have thought about changing sides but i don't think there is any need too. but recently I have been blastin them to the right side just to see what is what.. Just find the side you feel best with.

Neil. :)

I've just gone out now (probably because of this thread) and sidehopped what I think is my "wrong" way and I got just as high as I would have done to my "right" way :P only when I landed I landed normally lol

I use to sidehop to my leading foot way but I sidehop to my right now and the benefits for me is that am able to get up higher more easier, not catching my leading foot and if my rear wheel misses the wall I'd land on my pedal and not fecking my chain stay up as i did when I sidehop thee otherway.