Akira_Shock!

is it really that hard to sidehop up 44" on a uni cycle though? Yea yea i knwo the whole you have to be able ride one etc but surely once you have the technique you can go proper high. Like on your feet with no unicycle i reckon people can do 50" at a push. From the pic you can grab the seat and pull the unicylce up with you.. al you do is just jump from the pedals surely? i dunno .. just seems proper easy lol.. im a cock

is it really that hard to sidehop up 44" on a uni cycle though? Yea yea i knwo the whole you have to be able ride one etc but surely once you have the technique you can go proper high. Like on your feet with no unicycle i reckon people can do 50" at a push. From the pic you can grab the seat and pull the unicylce up with you.. al you do is just jump from the pedals surely? i dunno .. just seems proper easy lol.. im a cock

You know as well as i do it dosn't work like that.

Fact is, it's not simple at all, sidehopping a bike is 10 times easier. I highly doubt that most of you can jump sideways onto 8 pallets using ONLY your feet with no hand assistance landing to two feet. Plus, remember you've got a unicycle to jump with, so it might weigh you down a tiny bit, plus tucking on a unicycle isn't the same as on a bike.

I thought it'd be common sense lol.. and no, 50" is too big, even only a very rare handful of mod and stock riders can get that high consistently. Plus do you really think a seat is anywhere near as good as a handlebar, stem, fork, and front wheel for lifting your body to big heights :P?

Edited by Sponge

Well i'm with everyone else, a bike not only ways more but is so much harder to sidehop with and if we're going to make this fair you can't count using a front wheel to help with the sidehoppage.. strictly to rear wheel only.

Side hops are easier on unicylces you dont have to worry about the seat being in the way because you can push it forwards like this guy has and then you just tuck like normal. Theres no bars to get leverage on, theres no right or wrong way to sidehop you just jump straight upwards.

I personally can't even blance on a unicycle for more than 10 yeards or so but theres no way that sidehopping one of those is harder than sidehopping a bike

But what I dont get is how is the "wrong way to sidehop" going to be different on a uni to a trials? People say that its the pedals blah blah blah, which is exactly the same on a uni?

Meh I dont care lol If someone can argue against that, dont go too nuts cos im a bit blase at the mo lol

Riding both bike and uni, a unicycle is harder to get height on and harder to sidehop... And also there is a 'wrong way' and 'right way' to sidehop on a unicycle as well. Hopping on the spot with the seat in front of your legs is not easy to start off with, nevermind trying to get decent height on a sidehop. A bike's got the drivetrain as well as the bounce and pulling up effect of the front end as a lever to get height and stretch your body up.

Most of it's pretty much common sense.. some of you might think its easy, but 95% of you who think that won't even be able to sidehop a unicycle much higher than a curb to be honest. It's really a f**kload harder than it looks and its really quite different to things like free running.

The main question is why are we arguing? Trials would be alot easier if we to get off our bikes and do it, swimming would be alot easier if we has a propelor attatched to out backs. It's just a seperate sport, what's everyones problem? Whats the point in saying this is harder to do on a uni and this is harder to do on trials bike? Why are we comparing?

Edited by JT!

Try hopping with the seat between your legs on your unicycle, now thats not too easy for 90% of beginners. And then try hopping with the seat in front of your legs, most people won't even be able to do one hop before losing all balance and fall sideways. It's really blindingly obvious why a bike is easier to sidehop and get height on, you've got the front end, and plus your feet are positioned above the BB meaning less weight concentrated on the wheel your landing on, plus you've got a back brake to hold you in place in the dodgiest of rear wheel landing positions. Pretty obvious really...

EDIT: JT, it's just that some people kinda completely don't understand how things work and are getting the wrong idea. It's not arguing, its just friendly debating, I'm just saying what I know to be right so people don't get the wrong end of the stick :)

Edited by Sponge

The thing I don't understand Sponge is how you say that sidehopping a unicycle is harder than sidehopping a bike yet you've been riding your trials bike what 1&1/2 years and you can't sidehop as high as you can on a unicycle you've been riding 3-4months?

Edited by Joe_Elding

Joe, he can get higher sidehopping his bike than his unicycle easily. Plus I think he only really started actually putting his mind to sidehopping his bike around the time you got a GU. It's also worth bearing in mind that Sponge learnt and picked up uni trials extremely quickly, much much faster than 95% of people, and learns and improves his uni trials at an extremely rapid rate. It's not really normal. However, regardless of that, he can still sidehop his bike higher and he also says that its easier to improve height on his bike than his unicycle when he really needs to. It's kinda like his gapping, he's pretty decent at gapping a unicycle on low rail to rail gaps etc.. but he can so easily get much further gaps on his bike especially recent days. Drivetrain+handlebar is a f**k load better than just your bodymovement and a seat.

The thing I don't understand Sponge is how you say that sidehopping a unicycle is harder than sidehopping a bike yet you've been riding your trials bike what 1&1/2 years and you can't sidehop as high as you can on a unicycle you've been riding 3-4months?

You haven't seen me on my bike in quite a while, it's certainly easier to push myself to get higher heights on my bike because I know theres a back brake to secure me, a drivetrain to add a shit load of power, and a front end for me to hoist myself up more efficiently. I have to land absolutely perfect square onto something on my uni or else I roll out and die :lol: . On bike you can easily land your rear tyre sloppily or on an edge dodgily cos your entire weight isnt centred on the wheel unlike a uni.

Though I'm not that bothered about sidehopping on my bike that much, I can get 14 inches higher than my unicycle sidehop which is what I concentrate alot on. :lol:

Totally off topic but hahahaa sponge your avatar just made me choke on my drink!

Meh, Profile hub. Big deal :- . Yeah they're f**king hard to find and are rare on a unicycle... but surely, seeing profile hubs on your group rides is a fairly standard thing :rolleyes:. since everyone's got them, the prestige has seriously worn off, plus it'smore amazing to find someone with a hub other than a profile on their mods these days :lol: