Try All Freewheel

KOXX-UK

I agree partz, there's allways going to be someone who breaks something somehow.

I know money is certainley the deciding factor for me. I don't fancy a new wheel build and what seems like reall hassle to fit a bmx hub or a profile, not to mention I'm using a monty so it would no doubt be even more hassle.

Beside's, it's a novelty to have a chain running all the time .....

I agree partz, there's allways going to be someone who breaks something somehow.

I know money is certainley the deciding factor for me. I don't fancy a new wheel build and what seems like reall hassle to fit a bmx hub or a profile, not to mention I'm using a monty so it would no doubt be even more hassle.

Beside's, it's a novelty to have a chain running all the time .....

i member my fist trials bike wow, the chain moved when i wasnt pedaling :o i was like oh my god that soooooooo cool! now im licke f**king chain catching f**king trousers RARRRR

I just enjoy the fact I can sit back and laugh at the people with their apparently superior Profiles as the bearings f**k up, the drivers f**k up, the ratchets f**k up, the lockrings f**k up, the shells f**k up, the bearings f**k up again, and so on. I know of only a handful of people out of the many people on TF who haven't had some sort of issue with it.

My rear hub is 6 years old. It's not as smooth as it used to be, but it still spins, the fixed sprocket is still fixed and it's still a sprocket, and my £35 freewheel lasted for over 6 months before I got offered a deal I couldn't refuse on an Eno. My other Eno lasted for a year, and the only issue then was a single pawl that f**ked itself up, and a lockring that I raped. Two things on something that's half the price of the single, rear hub of the Profile setups?

Just look at the BMX world and see how people are turning away from Profile there too and you may begin to realise that the amazing, rose-tinted world of Profiles isn't the incredible, revolutionary thing people used to think it was. Compared to ACSs they're really good, but compared to the Tensiles, TryAlls and Enos, they're not worth the fact they're a shitload more expensive (and seem more prone to dying).

Not many people run the Kings, but I think that's largely down to the hideous cost of them. A £426 rrp is a massive turn-off, seeing as I don't even want to pay £155 for a hub?

To me now:

as the bearings f**k up, - happened once

the drivers f**k up, - never happened

the ratchets f**k up, - never happened

the lockrings f**k up, - never happened

the shells f**k up, - never happened

:blink:

And thats coming from a guy who used to destroy (and i mean destroy) an acs every month. It would skip a couple of times and then the pawls would die somehow. After going through so many freewheels I can honestly say that going rear cassette was the best move I've ever done. AND i don't have to mess around with all the troubles that this thread (and of course other freewheel threads) seem to be filled with.

Like I said - compared to ACS Claws, Profiles win. I just don't think they do against freewheels now. And having to strain to get a freewheel on by hand is only gonna take a few mins, then just pedal it up tight, and you're good. Not the end of the world?

Will's Profile's not exactly been problem free, to give you an example close to home? I think it was Will's whose ratchet died?

but also on will, it was he who broke 2 vices getting 2 different eno's off :P

EDIT: On that point though to be fair, I do like the way that onza brought out the tensile with the BB tool removal thing but i can honestly say that since I've changed the bearings 10 months ago, I've not had to do anything to my hub...except clean it when I could be arsed

I guess theres no winning this argument either way. Personally im scared of freewheels, but im not saying that all freewheels are crap for trials. Just dicta and acs (Y)

Edited by PaRtZ

There are many ways you can take a freewheel off though. I don't really consider taking them off or putting them on to be the equivalent of stripping lockring threads, bearings dying, ratchets stripping and so on? Unless you somehow really f**k up when you're taking them off?

Just seems as well that I know of quite a few people on here Profile have reamed for the trouble of sending their hubs in for bits to be replaced. Just ask Olly C :P

To me now:

And thats coming from a guy who used to destroy (and i mean destroy) an acs every month. It would skip a couple of times and then the pawls would die somehow. After going through so many freewheels I can honestly say that going rear cassette was the best move I've ever done. AND i don't have to mess around with all the troubles that this thread (and of course other freewheel threads) seem to be filled with.

olly-cs' profile died about 20 times. replaced the driver like 4 times erings about the same etc. meh.

To me now:

as the bearings f**k up, - happened once SO FAR

the drivers f**k up, - never happened YET

the ratchets f**k up, - never happened YET

the lockrings f**k up, - never happened YET

the shells f**k up, - never happened YET

:)

wtf? it's hardly only a handful that have never had problems with a profile profiles are a strong reliable and sensible choice, how many people have problems with a freewheel i bet theres way more eno's and try-alls even tensiles are all well and good until you total up the amount you will actually pay there's only like £50 between an entire rear profile set up and a ffw one and by the time you've bought a few new pairs of trousers you'll be wishing you'd bought a profile

my profile has been fine since the day i got it i've never oiled or cleaned it and it's still really nice sounding and the engagement is solid for me any decent rear casette hub will beat a freewheel purly because they feel nicer to ride with. for weight wenies who can't stand having an extra couple of grams on the back then freewheel has to be the way to go but for people who want a nice solid peice of kit then profile is the best

just my opinion of coarse Gavyn

wtf? it's hardly only a handful that have never had problems with a profile profiles are a strong reliable and sensible choice, how many people have problems with a freewheel i bet theres way more eno's and try-alls even tensiles are all well and good until you total up the amount you will actually pay there's only like £50 between an entire rear profile set up and a ffw one and by the time you've bought a few new pairs of trousers you'll be wishing you'd bought a profile

my profile has been fine since the day i got it i've never oiled or cleaned it and it's still really nice sounding and the engagement is solid for me any decent rear casette hub will beat a freewheel purly because they feel nicer to ride with. for weight wenies who can't stand having an extra couple of grams on the back then freewheel has to be the way to go but for people who want a nice solid peice of kit then profile is the best

just my opinion of coarse Gavyn

Highlighted bit. How? Let's, for example, use my setup compared to what my setup would currently be if I ran a Profile rear...

FFW:

BB: £40

Cranks: £110

Chain: £15

Spokes: £10

Rear hub: £25

Fixed sprocket: £10

Tensile: £35

Total: £245

Profile:

BB: £40

Cranks: £110

Chain: £15

Spokes: £10

Rear hub: £160

Fixed sprocket: £19

Total: £354

£109? Enough for 3 more freewheels, (bearing in mind my last Tensile was still going strong after 6 months use, that's 18months riding with no hassle whatsoever)?

EDIT: Forgot to add rim, but even so, that's still just £35 more onto each total, so the difference remains...

Haven't torn a pair of trousers on my bike since Aberystwyth, which I think was February 2005. May have been further back than that actually. If I was ever worried about it, I'd just tie the excess lace on my right shoe in one loop around the very bottom of my right trouser leg so it didn't even get near the freewheel. Simple. If "Torn trousers" is your main objection to running FFW, hmm.

yeh, i'd rather spend a tenner on a pair of troos for riding than change my entire drivetrain, and I also, havn't torn any trouser's in month's. It's just a case of freewheeling with your left foot down, not that big a problem really.....

• 2 months later...