Brake Pads

MikeSmith

My brake pads koxx bloxx are still not bedding in. Well sometimes they work amazing then all of a sudden they don't grip . I wash them they improve soon after they become crap and don't grip agian.

Has this happened to anyone else?

What is wrong?

What can i do?

Cheers

Mike

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Really lightly grind your rim... My Phatso braking surface had kinda "U"ed... as in it curved, wasnt a flat surface... and my brakes sucked without tar...

Then I gave it a really light grind just to make it flat, and its great again! With 1.5yr old Monty Orange pads!!

this happened with my plaz pads. Just put water on the rim, or go out in the rain, hold the brake on for a bit, and then they will work great! dont keep cleaining the rim, i made this mistake, and power just doesnt last. Bit of water does the trick though!

kool stops wit a TINY TINY TINY amount of tar work besst

ARGH HOW MANY TIMES!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyways, steps to improve brake:

- Sand rim surface lightly

- Sand pad surface lighty

- Wet rim, ride fast, hang over back of bike dragging brake until you stop.

- Do it again...

- ... And again until your brake squeals like a biatch.

Try it and get back to us,

Adam

Really lightly grind your rim... My Phatso braking surface had kinda "U"ed... as in it curved, wasnt a flat surface... and my brakes sucked without tar...

Then I gave it a really light grind just to make it flat, and its great again! With 1.5yr old Monty Orange pads!!

He's not joking about the pads, when we had the guilford ride his pads were less than a milimetre thick! im suprised they worked other than the tar

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

hehe new monty pads ordered :- Wonder how many years I can get out of this set :D

Mad thing is, its the first time I have ever bought Magura pads in 3 years of using magura brakes!!! How come - I dunno!

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser
Anyways, steps to improve brake:

- Do it again...

Try it and get back to us,

Adam

Gotta say everyone... thats the way to do it!!! Ad hit it spot on. Just done it with my new X-Lite longs... dammit its awesome! The way I did it was wet the rim on both sides, ride around for 5 mins dragging it, then after that get a clean cloth and just go around the rim to make sure its dry and clean... Then using it for trials its solid, bites so hard and locks solid! amazingness!

- Do it again...

yes.

If the brake performance starts to fade a bit, you can pour water on the rim and ride around, dragging the brake. after a little while the braking gets sharper again.

I did this today. And because i use a grind, i didnt need to ride around dragging at all. just spun the wheel around and let the brake drag to stop.

• 3 months later...

ok before u do the whole wetting your rim thing take your koxx bloxx and cut 3 large X's across the surface with a hacksaw about 1.5mm deep.. then clean out all of the cut up plastic from inside where u cut cos it builds up. Then replace them on your bike and do the water jobbie.. BELEIVE ME THEY WILL WORK AMAZING! I did mine on sunday and they f**kin rule! THe problem with koxx bloxx is that they are completely flat so if u get any water or oil on your rim or even dust it all builds up on the surface of the pad.. The x's help to take some of it away and they work amazing

• 2 months later...
ok before u do the whole wetting your rim thing take your koxx bloxx and cut 3 large X's across the surface with a hacksaw about 1.5mm deep..  then clean out all of the cut up plastic from inside where u cut cos it builds up. Then replace them on your bike and do the water jobbie.. BELEIVE ME THEY WILL WORK AMAZING! I did mine on sunday and they f**kin rule!  THe problem with koxx bloxx is that they are completely flat so if u get any water or oil on your rim or even dust it all builds up on the surface of the pad.. The x's help to take some of it away and they work amazing

t I done mind cos it's usually wet theese days.