Sweet Pic.

Dan@Trials-uk

Probably best to point out that my downtube looked a little like this before I was forced into "doing a proper job" of breaking my frame (peer pressure!):

IPB Image

It's obviously very frustrating but even more so because I believe that Onza were onto a real winner with the geometry, felt fantastic to me.

I just don't understand how they think they can get away with a downtube that thin! Especially when they went through all that testing and several prototypes before releasing the final version.

It dented so easily it's stupid, things that would have barely scratched my T-Rex put a fair sized dent on it. Luckily I've kept my T-Rex frame so I'll be back on that once I sort a BB tool that fits.

As for warranty I'm not sure I can get anything despite it clearly not being fit for purpose as I bought it second hand and it's been stripped. Maybe half price replacement but not sure I want to spend more money on a Limey.

Onza get your act together! Make a decent downtube and it'd be a great frame.

A very dissapointed Shaun :(

IPB Image

Edited by Shaun H

sounds like all the snapped frame have been stripped - coincidence??? lol

But as for the frames being weak and as for good natural riders "apparently" putting stress on Limeys Danny Butler? although i supposed he wouldnt tell anyone even if he did

nice pic doesnt look like a HOOGE move to snapp a frame clean but never the less i like it - thats a keeper!

If it's already cracked though, it doesn't take much to do. My T-Pro had the BB shell removed from it to post to Onza for a warranty job, and I bounced it on the back wheel and the tubing tore in half. It's just the way frames go when they're already damaged. All the stress just goes to one point, which rapes the frame.

Maybe it's the same sorta deal as the XTPs? Paper-thin tubing to make it lighter so they're better for the pro riders who run them, I guess? Same as the early Cousts too, thinking about it, before they made the V2 and beefed it up a bit 'cos all the street riders were tanking them to downtube on rails, when Gilles and Giacomo didn't really do that when they rode the frame :P

why the f**k would u ride a frame that was already cracked? and not expect it to damage? then complain about not having half price warranty etc.

sorry may sound harsh BUT its cracked what do you expect?

hmmm

You don't sound harsh, just very presumptious and a tad nieve. When I bought the frame it didn't have any cracks. Just a couple of dents. I had it less than 2 months during which it dented like actual tin foil.

Do you really think Mike got that picture purely by chance? I noticed the crack coming around a carbon sticker I had on to protect from scratches so whipped it off and carried on riding for a little before realising it was getting huuuge (RE my post above). Everyone there (in Worcester) convinced me that I may as well completely snap it as it was 100% useless by then and I may as well get a (absolutely fantastic!) picture in the process. I fully expected it to snap yet it still took 3 drops to actually snap it!

I'll say again that's the *only* problem I had with the frame. The geometry was nice, it was incredibly stiff and looked loverly.

Its a competition frame, and to keep the weight down, you need to use thin tubes!

And use steel rings on the head tube to solve a problem that didn't exist in the first place?

Fair enough it may be a "competition" frame but the downtube is still gunna get hit occasionally. Why isn't there a mention of the thin downtube on any descriptions like on the XTP's?

"Thin tubing keeps the weight to a minimum, this is a serious competition frame!"

I respect your superior knowledge and everything but it's still a wank downtube.

I believe it mentions about them being comp-designed frames in the 2-year crash replacement warranty bit on their site?

And the steel rings solved the problem of having to use an internal (or integrated, whatever...) headset? :P

And use steel rings on the head tube to solve a problem that didn't exist in the first place?

Fair enough it may be a "competition" frame but the downtube is still gunna get hit occasionally. Why isn't there a mention of the thin downtube on any descriptions like on the XTP's?

"Thin tubing keeps the weight to a minimum, this is a serious competition frame!"

I respect your superior knowledge and everything but it's still a wank downtube.

I believe it mentions about them being comp-designed frames in the 2-year crash replacement warranty bit on their site?

And the steel rings solved the problem of having to use an internal (or integrated, whatever...) headset? :P

lmao wank downtube made me laugh but its true and yup supposedly but like he said in comps the downtube will get abuse

plus do they not just say its a comp frame as an excuse?

who buys a frame and just uses it for comps? no one, onza know damn well people will use iit for street and by saying that their covering their backs.

would you be able to get it on warantee even though you bought it second hand?

guess onza wouldnt be too happy about this post though . .

guess onza wouldnt be too happy about this post though . .

Yes but on the other hand ever since I got the frame and before I've been raving about how nice it rides and even recomended it to a few people (check back in my posts if you don't believe me).

I LOVED it

It's just a shame about the downtoooooooob

EDIT:

They don't actually, the headtube is machined differently on the Limey so it takes a normal headset. You could actually take off the steel rings and run it without them.

I'm talking about flaring of headtube.

Edited by Shaun H

anyone know the density of a potato?..........

Crap thread almost as shit as the hope pro2 breaking. Anyways as it has been said many a time its a comp frame... its like xtp's seen a fair few of them mangled, that would also be classed as a comp frame. Maby when you saw the crack, you should have stopped riding it then sent it back to onza.... no wonder if you sent that back they were not so keen on giving you a new one.

EDIT: Ohh didnt mean any of that in a harsh tone.... its a shame that it cracked/halfed when you liked it so much :(

Edited by Towler

It would have been a better picture if the tube went up your arse and you pogo'd off down the road on it! oh hang on..... maybe it did and thats why you're talking out your rectum?! ;)

just kiddin man, things breaking in general is not a pleasant thing, maybe they could do an urban version of the frame? same geo with heftier tubes for fatties and street riders ... win!

hahahah you bunch of forum goons. One frame snaps woopty f**king doo da "i hate it im never buying from them ever" ahhahah.. what the f**k do you expect to happen when you throw some tubes of aluminum with a 70kg bloke on top at a hard floor?

Actually, buddy, Stan Shaw's and Adam Bessell's have both gone within about 3-4 months of having one. I'm not saying that these frame are good or not just on the basis of 3 peoples snapping quickly, however it is a good argument against the strength of this frame...

Cheers,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Jun 28 2006, 09:29 PM)

Actually, buddy, Stan Shaw's and Adam Bessell's have both gone within about 3-4 months of having one. I'm not saying that these frame are good or not just on the basis of 3 peoples snapping quickly, however it is a good argument against the strength of this frame...

Stan's lasted over 8 months and failed due to a manufacturing defect (therefore under warranty), the seat tube cracked away from the top yoke - how many times have you seen that?

Adam's was battered to within an inch of it's life after many altercations with rails, and cracked in a similar way to the one in this thread. It was replaced for half price. Not a bad deal?

This one's been dented a hell of a lot too...

It's like crashing an F1 car into a wall and then complaining that it broke. The frames are more than strong enough to cope with their intended use.

Cool picture though!

Stan's lasted over 8 months and failed due to a manufacturing defect (therefore under warranty), the seat tube cracked away from the top yoke - how many times have you seen that?

Adam's was battered to within an inch of it's life after many altercations with rails, and cracked in a similar way to the one in this thread. It was replaced for half price. Not a bad deal?

This one's been dented a hell of a lot too...

It's like crashing an F1 car into a wall and then complaining that it broke. The frames are more than strong enough to cope with their intended use.

Cool picture though!

Me and Dan noticed there was a crack between the seat tube and top yoke as you have just described on Stan's frame. Could be from the snap though but it's still a possibility it was there before...?

An F1 car isn't designed to be crashed into walls though. This frame is designed to be ridden trials on. To progress in trials you must try things on the limits of your abilities which invariably results in crashes/bails during which the frame may be damaged. With natural OR street it applies.

I certainly wouldn't complain if I was offered half price replacement especially in my circumstances. I've used Onza products for ages now and this is the first one I've been dissapointed with. :turned:

i was thinking about having that frame as possible second...hmmm i'll save for the czar now me finks

Mark.

If you don't slip up often then it might be ok. Like I've said several times earlier in the thread the bike rides really nicely just the downtube isn't up to the normal abuse.