Loughborough Uni Halls

nb88

Off to loughborough uni in october and im choosing my accomodation. So far ive narrowed it down to:

Telford

Harry French

John Phillips

as i want self catered with hand basin. Any students on here have any opinions on them? Theyre all around £65 per week.

Im studying engineering with foundation year

Thanks for any help

Noz

I've never been in any of those halls as far as I can remember (well, not sober anyway), but it's worth noting that both Harry French and John Philips are at the student union side of campus. That makes it good for nights out, but bad for getting to the engineering department, as it's about a 10/15 minute walk, whereas Telford is in the student village, which is pretty central to everything.

The only year I lived in halls I was in Elvyn, the rest of the time I lived in town, so like I said, I can't really comment on how nice the halls actually are. Just thought it was worth pointing out the locations in case you hadn't checked it out yet.

Telford isnt too bad if you want to live on campus. Its more or less dead in the centre so you havent got too far to walk to get anywhere. The other two places are off campus and you need about 25 minutes walk to get to the other end down to engineering id say definitely a bike jobbie anyhow. I know a girl who has lived in telford for 3 years straight so it cant be too bad in there its really close to 2 of the small shops on campus as well so your not going to have to walk to sainsburys every time you want to get food.

JK and JP are nice places though, we decided to invade the place when we were pissed.. somehow got through the security doors and in to someones kitchen. Out of all the places i wouldnt really say that any of your choices are bad its never as good as home but ah well.. put it down to how far you are willing to walk. But id say go for telford distance/food sources/football pitches close by. You're pretty much going to live for the student union in first year... by 2nd you realise how crap it is and want to go in to town more.. so having somewhere on campus first year is a good idea.

Poor fuse for living in elvyn lol... anywhere is better than there! and doh!.. seemed to have made the same post haha.

Edited by Spacemunkee

I'm not going to be too much help (Maybe Tart'll know seeing as he came round...), but the halls I stayed in at Loughborough when I was doing some little design course thing were pretty rad. All I can remember is that to get to the union, we had to go along a path, past some football pitches, and then follow the path around to the left or some shit like that. Either way, it seemed like a pretty cool campus, even though nothing appeared to be open when we wanted it to be open :P

• 3 weeks later...

Off to loughborough uni in october and im choosing my accomodation. So far ive narrowed it down to:

Telford

Harry French

John Phillips

as i want self catered with hand basin. Any students on here have any opinions on them? Theyre all around £65 per week.

Im studying engineering with foundation year

Thanks for any help

Noz

if you ain't done it already telford I would say would be your best bet. Its full of birds!!!

I was in rutherford last year and the studnet village is awesome its in a great location for all lectures.

mate PM me your mobile so we can get some decent riding done this year cause last year sucked!

Jon

I have a BT raven 6 blue if you see me about...

if you ain't done it already telford I would say would be your best bet. Its full of birds!!!

I was in rutherford last year and the studnet village is awesome its in a great location for all lectures.

mate PM me your mobile so we can get some decent riding done this year cause last year sucked!

Jon

I have a BT raven 6 blue if you see me about...

Im with you on this.. i hated last year it was proper shit i never had any time to ride :(

Got my accomodation pack this morning... i put harry french as my first choice (was in a bit of a hurry choosing accom just before i left on holiday). From the campus map it looks close to the loughborough technology department, if thats where ill be studying? (Engineering with foundation year). Looks closer than all the other halls?

Hmm just looked online and it seems most engineering buildings are south of the campus and im way up north.... Reckon its too late to change? Is it that much of a trek? (i'll probably take a bike)

Edited by Nozmeister

Got my accomodation pack this morning... i put harry french as my first choice (was in a bit of a hurry choosing accom just before i left on holiday). From the campus map it looks close to the loughborough technology department, if thats where ill be studying? (Engineering with foundation year). Looks closer than all the other halls?

Hmm just looked online and it seems most engineering buildings are south of the campus and im way up north.... Reckon its too late to change? Is it that much of a trek? (i'll probably take a bike)

Yea harry french is off campus isnt it.. like other side of the roundabout. I reckon it will take you 30mins to get down to engineering maybe a bit longer. Since your on a foundation all your lectures will pretty much be down there, a few in other places. Harry french isnt a bad place to be going in to and your close to union and town. I was in william morris last year which is just before harry french if ive got the right place in my head, it was ideal really. i wouldnt change if i was you.. its a trek but it will keep you fit ;)

You won't get what you put down anyway :P Not at this stage. I sent mine off months ago and still got put in like my #3 option.

I'm in Harry French, which i'm pretty pleased with, closest to town + union, and bout the same distance to design block as everywhere else.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, it's the people your with not what block your in (Y)

You won't get what you put down anyway :P Not at this stage. I sent mine off months ago and still got put in like my #3 option.

I'm in Harry French, which i'm pretty pleased with, closest to town + union, and bout the same distance to design block as everywhere else.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, it's the people your with not what block your in (Y)

I'm in harry french (Y):) what are you studying?

Also are you taking your trials bike? i'm guessing ill hide it in my room as i wont be able to live without it

Coolie :D Sounds good! I'm doing Industrial Design.

I won't be taking my bike, I stopped riding about a year ago - now i'm just a forum bum. Maybe I'd get back into it again, but I was crap when I stopped so I'd basically be back to square one again now :P

Only thing I have to sneak in, whatever they say is a mini-fridge, the amount of milk I drink :P

Coolie :D Sounds good! I'm doing Industrial Design.

I won't be taking my bike, I stopped riding about a year ago - now i'm just a forum bum. Maybe I'd get back into it again, but I was crap when I stopped so I'd basically be back to square one again now :P

Only thing I have to sneak in, whatever they say is a mini-fridge, the amount of milk I drink :P

Alexx your just a freak :P

Get a trials bike loughs orite for riding. Better than clee :P

Yeap and mini fridge is fine everyone has them in halls.. some people have f**kin huge ones. Basically take everything you want.. they wont take any of it away, tv, fridges, surround sound etc.. its all ok apart from like fire and shit they dont like that lol

Yeap and mini fridge is fine everyone has them in halls.. some people have f**kin huge ones. Basically take everything you want.. they wont take any of it away, tv, fridges, surround sound etc.. its all ok apart from like fire and shit they dont like that lol

what do you do with your bike? (if you have it)