Injury Advice

physio

Best ways to leave it mate, or ride in a hightop type shoe to cover it. When I burnt the inside of my right leg I was forever knocking it. Ended up bandaging it during the day, and leaving it uncovered over night or if I wasnt doing anything.

• 1 month later...

Don't know wtf is that: my finger is swollen in this place and hurts so much - I can't ride even XC. it started to hurt few days ago, yesterday pain was not so strong, and increased to the end of ride. Today it increased even more.

post-30941-0-14807800-1348167583_thumb.j

Edited by clerictgm

could be a ganglion at your tendon.doctor time i think...

ganglion? crazy shit! can't be, I had this problem on 3 fingers at the same time half a year ago (have a week break because of), but don't know still - is it a pull or what?

Edited by clerictgm

• 3 weeks later...

Not really an injury as such, but does anyone/have you ever got sore feet whilst riding? I've recently just got back into it and wearing hefty skate shoes I still get sore feet (like under the arches?) and they feel like theyre on fire lol. Never had a problem before with it I dont think. I dont even have to ride for long for it to occur..

• 3 weeks later...

Not really an injury as such, but does anyone/have you ever got sore feet whilst riding? I've recently just got back into it and wearing hefty skate shoes I still get sore feet (like under the arches?) and they feel like theyre on fire lol. Never had a problem before with it I dont think. I dont even have to ride for long for it to occur..

If you have high arches (sometimes called a high instep) then the heavy skate shoes, which are often flat on the sole, could be causing the problem.

If you have flat/low arches/instep then another problem could just be the fact that you have overstretched the muscles in your sole, which wouldn't be surprising given that you have just returned to the sport.

So basically check your footwear is ok for your feet, or if that's not the problem. A bit of rest would never hurt, possibly foot stretches whilst you're just starting again.

Let me know how it goes,

-Showurcolours

• 1 month later...

cut my finger open grinding my bike rims.. it cant be stitched back up because it has taken a rather large chunk out, what to do? im riding this weekend and its my front brake finger, any advice? :/

Before stitching was common, people used to use glue (I've done it a few times as an odd DIY fixup because I hate hospitals) however I suspect that if you can't stitch it then glue might not work. Can you show a picture? Just 'cus chunk seems quite drastic, it might just need a decent covering and you should be able to ride... but that depends how deep it is really

Has anyone torn ligaments before and how long did it take to heal?

Depends on the grade of the tear, what muscle and a whole bunch of other things.

If you give me the muscle, your age, rough guide of how much riding you do a week and when you done it, I'll be able to give you an approximate date of how long :)

Its in my ankle. I'm 30 and ride about 8 hours a week. Thanks.

Ok, well there are a few ligaments in your ankle and I'm assuming that you're relatively fit and healthy and that the grade of the tear isn't too serious then I'd say between 3-5 weeks. That's assuming the grade of the tear isn't serious though, how much pain is there? Swelling? and is it weight bearing? (i.e can you walk on it ok?)

Ok, well there are a few ligaments in your ankle and I'm assuming that you're relatively fit and healthy and that the grade of the tear isn't too serious then I'd say between 3-5 weeks. That's assuming the grade of the tear isn't serious though, how much pain is there? Swelling? and is it weight bearing? (i.e can you walk on it ok?)

I did it 3 weeks ago. Theres still pain but I can walk, I just haven't got full movement. I'm just worried about riding again too soon. It's still swollen but nowhere near what it was like.

I did it 3 weeks ago. Theres still pain but I can walk, I just haven't got full movement. I'm just worried about riding again too soon. It's still swollen but nowhere near what it was like.

Sounds like a grade two (partial tear), a grade one wouldn't cause that many problems and a grade three would mean you wouldn't be able to walk even after 3 weeks. I still recommend like 3-5 weeks off mate otherwise you risk going back too early and doing it again, or tearing it completely.

If you can find the time, you are going to want to do some rehab, nothing strenuous but some walking in comfortable + supportive shoes will help, then you are going to want to do some stretching as well, really light stretching more to just mobilise the ankle more than anything. Going swimming will help, as it will mean you can do a lot more exercises and not have to worry about too much weight on the ankle (again though, nothing serious).

It's important you do some rehab exercises for it though because a partial tear will mean that there is now scar tissue which is brittle and completely unflexible - not what you want in your ankle especially for a trials rider. Doing the rehab will help remove the scar tissue and strengthen the ligament. I'd start it halfway through this week (weds/thurs probably). Please be careful though cus it's still prone to injury.

Hope this helps mate, if you have any more questions you can always PM me (Y)

Sounds like a grade two (partial tear), a grade one wouldn't cause that many problems and a grade three would mean you wouldn't be able to walk even after 3 weeks. I still recommend like 3-5 weeks off mate otherwise you risk going back too early and doing it again, or tearing it completely.

If you can find the time, you are going to want to do some rehab, nothing strenuous but some walking in comfortable + supportive shoes will help, then you are going to want to do some stretching as well, really light stretching more to just mobilise the ankle more than anything. Going swimming will help, as it will mean you can do a lot more exercises and not have to worry about too much weight on the ankle (again though, nothing serious).

It's important you do some rehab exercises for it though because a partial tear will mean that there is now scar tissue which is brittle and completely unflexible - not what you want in your ankle especially for a trials rider. Doing the rehab will help remove the scar tissue and strengthen the ligament. I'd start it halfway through this week (weds/thurs probably). Please be careful though cus it's still prone to injury.

Hope this helps mate, if you have any more questions you can always PM me (Y)

Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on a run a few weeks ago and pushed it a little to much and my right knee started hurting whilst out, i stopped and walked home when this happened.

It hurt for about a day and then stopped, i rested for a week and it seemed ok. Then went riding the following week and it started hurting when it received shocks from drops etc so stopped and went home - it was about -1 degrees so not sure how this will change things.

I then left it a week and it felt ok, i went riding again and it was about the same temperature so i decided to wear skins - no problems all ride.

Went riding yesterday - after about a week since riding - and i learnt to 360 and it started hurting as this was shocking it when jumping off etc.

Any ideas guys? It hurts towards the bottom of the joint and the sides.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought id post in here about my ankle. I broke it 6months ago and I found very little information that helped me. So if you've broken your leg and your all sad about it read up... I started training in the gym in September. Riding lightly for a month or so as I got back I to shape. I let my leg dictate. If it felt wrong I stopped... I try not to use it as an excuse and id consider my riding to be a decent level again. .. so eat right. Don't drink or smoke and you'll be rete...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I rode at our indoor spot the saturday a week ago. Landed on the foot pretty much like this guy did, the difference is that i landed on the foot first from 6-7 pallets.

Ended up with a super sprained ankle, and from what I remember I torn or broke some ligaments, muscle attachments (correct word?) and something more..

pic of it here

IMG_0836_zpsf9bd89e4.jpg

I can walk on it now, hurts a small bit though. I can't move the toes and can't move the foot itself much. I have a very bad balance on the foot.

I want to know how long time it will take to heal up and I'm able to ride again? And also how I should build up some strength in it. The hospital told me to use crutches for around 3-4 weeks and that was pretty much the only info I got... :o

• 2 weeks later...

went for a backwheel up wall to 6 foot level gap today that i normaly do no probs.

did it twice, on the third attempt as i landed the gap my rear brake rolled through leading to gapping to my left asd cheak. feels like an immense grandad but to my ass.

quite funny trying to ride after can't do proper smooth peddle strokes and so keep bugging up my balance. feels what i imagine having odd length legs would feel.

• 1 month later...

I was trying to back wheel a small wall, and the bike slipped back when I let go of the brake because I wasn't far enough on the wall. I thought I was gonna go over the bars, but I put my right foot out to stop it. I was about 6 foot up, came down on it, heard a massive crack. I've been back to the surgeon today, I've cracked the bottom of my fibula, and the front part of the calcaneus is shattered into 6 pieces. In a few years time I'm gonna have arthritis and prob gonna have to have the joint fused to stop it hurting in the future. I'm in a cast for 6-8 weeks, and probably a moon boot after that. No weight bearing for 8 weeks :(