Injury Advice

physio

I've been back to the surgeon today, I've cracked the bottom of my fibula, and the front part of the calcaneus is shattered into 6 pieces.

It sucks to get injured so badly mate, hope you get better and can ride. I don't know if you've seen this video, this guy had a really bad foot injury and its kinda motivational so may help...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Balance-Episode-5-Revival-2012.html

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks to get injured so badly mate, hope you get better and can ride. I don't know if you've seen this video, this guy had a really bad foot injury and its kinda motivational so may help...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Balance-Episode-5-Revival-2012.html

I've just watched it. This is the shot of his ankle x ray

post-29242-0-97396100-1365078232_thumb.j

If he can ride again after that, then so can I. Mines not as bad as that. I will ride again

My ankle is apparently a very common break with people going over on them. So common in fact that whilst I was in a+e waiting to go in for an xray another guy came in who fallen and broken his whilst walking his dog!

Just goes to show that it might not necessarily happen whilst riding.

I was just curious if anyone had any advice about my arm. Its an old injury that made me quit biking when I was 15, I broke the arm in 3 places and now have 2 metal plates on the bones. Since I've got back into the biking I've got alot of dull pains in the bones. Now I do strap the arm and wear a support on the wrist when riding, but has anyone got any suggestions about how to strengthen it or how to protect it better?

Because now I've started on bikes again I'm not giving up again! Thanks in advance

Bernard

Hit wrist on the floor 5 months ago falling off bike, hospital told me it would be just a bad bruise. Still hurts when I put hand in funny positions or if I do a bad landing on the bike...

Any advice?

Edited by JMCD

• 1 month later...

Evening ladies and ladies,

I have a problem with my knee and being a lazy git, I'd rather ask on here than go to the doctors. I will go to the doctors as I want it sorted, but I'd like multiple opinions.

In 2011 I rode to Lands End from Hastings, which was quite a large challenge for me physically and mentally - apparently more physically. I have a pain in my knee that I can only remember being there since I did that ride and it's gradually getting worse so I want to get it fixed.

I have difficulty explaining how it feels, but after about 30 minutes of cycling it's like it's swollen inside the kneecap and bending it hurts. Usually the pain lasts a couple of days but fades away, walking up or down hills / stairs makes it flair up and most recently, crouching down has set it off.

Any ideas?

Someone at work said he had something similar sounding through cycling and was advised it was damaged cartilage - he had keyhole surgery and it was fixed. I don't want to take that route unless I have to, so I wondered if anyone had a similar problem solved...

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went back a week last Thursday, I've been switched over to the orthopaedic clinic from fracture clinic. He was well impressed at how it's healing up, I've done it right and took my time. I don't fancy spending the rest of my life in agonising pain

• 1 month later...

Anyone had bicipital tendonitis? I've pulled a tendon in my upper arm and can't ride, even everyday movements are quite painful.

Happened 18 days ago and the doctor said last Thursday to rest and take painkillers but nothing much has changed. He said 4 weeks should be enough for it to heal but it doesn't feel like it.

Anyone have experience or advice?

Cheers

tendonitis?

tendon injuries are special,when i had that it hurt badly for 3 weeks,then suddenly got better in a few days and a week later it was gone.

doctor said its because the tendovagina (yeah it really has that name in doctors´jargon lol) has to build up its inner skin again,it gets kind of eaten by the scavenger cells that remove the dead tissue caused by the injury.

once that skin has built up,the tendon itself heals quick in comparison.

• 1 month later...

I'm after a little advice if anyone could help.

I bought a mod a few week's back and after 2 days of riding i started to feel a slight pain in my right knee.

After ignoring the pain as it was quite bearable i carried on to ride for about 2 weeks, and after this time the pain got a lot worse.

I took a week out and the pain stopped so i carried on riding. a few days later i started to get a slight pain when i put pressure on my leg but only when my knee was bent at a certain angle.

i stopped riding for 2 weeks and carried on with my everyday life but my leg continued to hurt when i walked up stairs.

I should of really went to see a doctor but i work 5 days a week 8am - 6pm so i don't have much time to really do anything.

After admitting my knee wasn't going to get much better i decided to start riding again but not going as big and not doing any power moves or sidehops.

Yesterday i went to do a switch and my knee popped out of place and then immediately popped back in which was a horrible experience!

Today i went out with one of my riding mates and it happened again.

Does anyone know what it could be and how i can sort it?

Edit: Forgot to mention it was the total opposite knee that popped out and i still sometimes get the pain in my other knee as before.

Edited by BradJohnson

For starters I'd say doctor would be a safe bet, but if you can buy some decent sports strapping for the knee, or anything that will compress the area and see how that feels when you ride, but if you're feeling a pop in your knee it could be a ligament or cartilage damage, and seeing a doctor is the best advice I could give.

Last year I rolled my ankle really bad I couldn't walk on it for a week. Then I rolled my ankle twice two weeks ago, first time was on the bike doing a 180 off a wall and landing wrong, second time was 2 days after and running up stairs, I rolled it and collapsed into the stairs... Not a nice experience haha.

Now the ankle aches after half an hours riding and swells up so I stop, should I wait for it to heal or find an ankle compression/restraint? Don't get much chance to ride now due to work/college/weather so if I get an opportunity I go out if I can.

Also if anyone interested in how my wrist is doing, it's fine now. I've rolled my bars back a fair bit and that has helped a LOT.

Edited by JMCD

After reading a few of theese posts this is going to sound trivial but here goes, does anyone know how eye strain can affect you? I've had a pain in my right eyebrow for two weeks now and its f*kin murder! Every time I touch it I get a headache that lasts hours. Its definatly under the skin/muscular pain. I have no clue why it just suddenly started exept for the fact it was right around the time I got my new phone. I've had eyestrain before but that was a raving headache not an actual pain.

^^ the knee thing.. try exercising, and stretching the ligaments around the knee, ice packs and rest. If it started around the time you got a mod maybe your hyperextending the joint in your riding of it. Always see a dock if symptoms persist.

^^the ankle thing.. your on it too soon, ligaments around the ankle take ages to get 90 percent of their strength back, they may never be as strong as they were, stretches resistance exercise, ice packs and a serious putting up of your feet for at least a week, don't strap the thing up if its going to swell, once the swelling has stopped then use a support. and again, see a doctor if symptoms persist.

Edited by f**megently