Injury Advice

physio

I know this is just part and parcel of riding but i have back pains like stress on the back but i have had it before and this is just soooo much worst its unbelievable.

Also i had a nasty bail and i landed on my arm and i hear a break and my elbow is like swollen into a ball but when i bend i cant feel nothing.

Last one my brother always had problems with his shoulder and that it always wanted to dislocate and eventually he had it operated on and now it is happening to me but i aint having me operated on for nothing.

Advice desperatly needed.

Echo.Josh

X-x-X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh my god myt nees just suezed up randomly tonight, i did a 360 turn on back wheel (loads of turns, not a whole 360, was more like 350 10 degree turns n then both knees started killin ads it tyhey were strivy, f**k,, what swrong with them? knee joitys reeallty hurt when i sitdown/standup.

Does pulling my hamstring often mean i have some sort of problem that means it's weak? If i try and take my socks off while lying on my front (legs behind me, i reach to my feet) it sometimes will do it, f**king horrible pain.

I just got off of my bed from laying down and used my left leg too much i think, and it pulled. Not had it riding or anything.

I have a finger question:

Recently been going rock climbing more frequently, I don't know when I caused the problem or if it was definitely caused by climbing but for the last month or so I have had an uncomfortable pain in one of my fingers.

The pain is at the base of my 'ring finger' on my right hand. I get a stabbing pain when I move my finger into certain positions and its even more uncomfortable if I put the smallest amount of weight on it (hard to explain, but imagine the way you would hang off a door frame using all your fingers, but just use one finger).

I have not climbed for a couple of weeks now but my finger doesn't feel like its getting better, also haven't really ridden a bike recently so the finger is only being used for day to day tasks.

Anyone got any ideas? If no one can help I'm going to have to search climbing forums more thoroughly...

Tic:

I had the same thing, it went on for ages. It started off from riding XC but was actually more of a problem for climbing. Exactly the same thing you describe - tendinitis in the ring finger. I looked it up on climbing forums and actually the advice was to carry on and it will go away - it's a very common problem for climbers. Apparently rest doesn't seem to help, and that is what I found too. I just carried on climbing and it went away. It took a while though - about 2-3 months. For me though, it was never limiting what I did - it was just pain which wasn't severe enough to make me stop.

That's exactly what I have in my right finger of my left hand. It started when downhilling too, and I had exactly the same thing with my hands being "stuck" in the riding grip. I think it's tendonitis in your finger tendons (Flexor digitorum sublimis for my hands ;) ) and there's pretty much bugger all you can do for it. Just gotta rest it. Mine's been there for about 6 weeks and it's just about better now, but I've not done much XC riding or climbing (which is much worse for my finger) in that time.

So yeah, this is just another unhelpful "rest it" answer :P

Right, Would like some help! I have had a bit of trouble with my left ankle, I play rugby which doesnt help things. It all started about 2/3 YEARS ago when I landed HARD and done something to my ankle. SInce then every time I land on it in an odd way, it hurts like hell. I jared it at training the other week, and had two matches since Every time I run/jog it hurts. I have strapped it up in the match, but not when I ride.

Anyway! I was sitting watching TV and I held my ankle and rotated it. I could feel the bones crunch, then it went stiff. and let out a click. (most of my joins do the, [fingers, knees, neck, shoulder, and toes])

cod liver oil help? or Doctors ASAP???

Reading through this topic is a great help to me, i sprained my ankle 1 week ago, but not any the outter 3 ligaments it was the inner ligament which a nurse told me is a fan shape, this is incredibly painful, read this topic and listen to the RICE thing very useful for a quicker recovery.

Tom

• 1 month later...
Reading through this topic is a great help to me, i sprained my ankle 1 week ago, but not any the outter 3 ligaments it was the inner ligament which a nurse told me is a fan shape, this is incredibly painful, read this topic and listen to the RICE thing very useful for a quicker recovery.

Tom

I rolled mine over outwards. 3 months on, and it's almost back to normal, just a totally different shape :P

My knee's dead now though. Can't walk upstairs without it hurting, and when I pedal it feels like it needs to slightly click back into place. I knocked it last Sunday, and I think it must just be swollen around/underneath the cap or something. Whack shit either way, weather's been really nice!

661 Pro Race ankle braces = your friend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It'll get a bit better, might not get completely back to normal though. You out of plaster now then Dave?

i am yer, ive got an air cast, but the doc has recomended i slowly start walking on it now with out the aircast and only use my crutches for balence

so ive spent the night walking around and my my akle is killing me lol, think i did to much to soon, its just gonna take alot of time to stretch :(

• 2 weeks later...

Can you crack / brake a rib from caughing?

I think i have, well my rib is hurting anyway, what's the best thing for it? I try to 'rest' it (ie not playing twister) but i can't stop caughing and it's making it worse.

Can you crack / brake a rib from caughing?

I think i have, well my rib is hurting anyway, what's the best thing for it? I try to 'rest' it (ie not playing twister) but i can't stop caughing and it's making it worse.

What usually happens is you pull the intercostal muscles, so it just hurts to breath. Bruising and cracking ribs have the same treatment - rest. Bruising is apparantly more painful, strangely.

Unless you are getting realllly sharp pains, take some pain killers and wait for your cold to go. If it's not subsided within a few weeks, I'd head down to your GP. Hell, you could probably go to A&E and claim it happened on the day and blag an x-ray :P

What usually happens is you pull the intercostal muscles, so it just hurts to breath. Bruising and cracking ribs have the same treatment - rest. Bruising is apparantly more painful, strangely.

Unless you are getting realllly sharp pains, take some pain killers and wait for your cold to go. If it's not subsided within a few weeks, I'd head down to your GP. Hell, you could probably go to A&E and claim it happened on the day and blag an x-ray :P

I can breathe to my hearts content and there's no pain, it's when i cough or prod it, or do backflips and barrelrolls.

I'll just hope it goes away on it's own for now.

i have had a look through this thread and cant seem to understand much of it so i was woundering if anyone could help me out!

about 5 days ago i went riding, got home and my arms was aching some thing silly, i thought it was purley due to not riding for ages so thought nothing of it. The 2 days ago i went to sidehop cocked it up and ended up with a very sharp pain in my right arm felt as though Bruce Lee had puched me in the arm full wack and went completely dead. I sat indoors for a while and started to get feeling back in my arm although it was very painfull, i woke up the next day and the pain seemed to have gone, untill i made a certain movement with my arm and i was in complete agony again and since then it has just got worse.

I seem to have a pain going from the back of my elbow, along the underside of my bicept and up onto my shoulder. I can use the arm for not strainfull things, but as soon as i have to put a bit of force thrugh that arm it hurts very much and at the moment i am walking around with my arm stuck to my side to prevent any pain :P

i have never suffered any mucle problems before so i am not sure how serious this sort of damage is or what sort of damage i have caused!

I have tried to give as much information as i can in the hope that some one can help me out as i have no idea whatso ever when it comed to mucles! any help is greatly appreciated!

I can't believe how many posts this thread has had, when realistically, you should be either:

a) Resting

B) Going to see your GP.

Dont forget a GP is a 'general' practisiner (or whatever)...

Nothing beats advice from people who do the same sport who have had similar injuries!

Yeah, going to see a GP about a non-serious sports injury is going to be a bit pointless 95% of the time. If you could see a physio or someone they could probably help, but they're not usually free. There's no harm in asking here, is there?

Yeah, going to see a GP about a non-serious sports injury is going to be a bit pointless 95% of the time. If you could see a physio or someone they could probably help, but they're not usually free. There's no harm in asking here, is there?

Well, you say that, but a lot of people here don't really have a lot of knowledge of their anatomy or how it works, and the attitude of "riding throught it" doesn't help either.

Deciding not to go the doctor because you don't think it is serious enough is entirely different to trusting someone elses opinion on what is wrong with you, based on limited knowledge of the situation.