Injury Advice

physio

I've seen far too many stories from people who've gone to regular NHS doctors with issues regarding injuries they've picked up doing sports to really bother with it unless I can go there armed with some knowledge from a proper physio. I'm pretty sure Si (The Physio) lurks this thread too and has contacted me several times to try and talk to me about stuff. I'm still gonna get a second opinion from someone NHS based just 'cos I'm like that, but yeah, I'd rather be able to just ask on here and see if someone's had a similar experience just to see what's what. The internet's a great resource, why not use it? You just have to bear in mind who's saying what, and use that to understand how accurate their info might be.

JT - my Mum had pluracy and cracked some ribs from coughing so hard with that. She went to a doctor initially with it and they said it was "Just a cold", but when she saw a different one after the chest pain caused by the haggard ribs they realised it had been pluracy from the start.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, think I over did it a tad at the weekend.

Woke up monday morning after riding saturday and sunday, with a funny pain/ache in my mid/lower back on the left side only. Feels like something is trying to jump out of my ribcage...

Its gradually got worse, and in the last half an hour or so its started absolutely killing me. Originally it was just when I stood up straight or arched my back, but now its all the time. Don't want to go to the doctors because I want to ride this weekend, and if he says 'rest it' mum won't let me, even though I'm 17 - big and ugly enough to make decisions for myself.

Any advice?

Any advice?

Rest it :D

I think I know what you mean - most people have had that at some point riding trials? Particularly in the first year or so. How long have you been riding?

Pretty sure it's just a tweaked muscle in your back and there's not a whole lot you can do. Painkillers (Ibuprofen) will help in the short term but probably aren't a great idea in the long-run. You can try adjusting your bar/stem position too.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I get pains in my lower back, I just do a few of the usual back-related stretches (Google that shit!) and it tends to ease it up and go away. Does it feel like your muscles have sort of balled up, almost?

Either way, stretching before/after you ride is always a good call.

My shoulder has started to make really funky noises when moving the arm fast. Sounds like a gearbox on a car pretty much. "Klonk klonk klonk". Just noticed yesterday and it keeps on doing the noises today aswell. I can feel somethink moving strangely in there somewhere. But I haven't hit it in any way so I have no idea why it started...

Any ideas on what's up with it?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem with my lower back. :(

i got given ar really good link for exercises by some one on here but it dosnt seem to be working at the mo, give it a try anyway's, search "nismat" in google. it's got lots of good exercises.

will moving my handle bars higher/lower help my back?

thanks.

Edited by hazr27

will moving my handle bars higher/lower help my back?

It might do. Or try adjusting your position on the bike a bit when you hop - bending your arms more or something. Other than that there's not a lot you can do. Have a read of this thread, there are loads of people who have had this problem. It usually goes away though.

• 2 weeks later...

I bailed a small dropgap yesterday (stairset about 4 foot high and 6 foot gap) and landed heavily, flat on my right foot. The whole leg went numb for 10 mins or so and I sat it out till I could move and put weight on the leg again. I could walk with slight pain in the heel of my foot and carried on riding (although very carefully) for an hour or so before going home.

Last night the pain got a little worse, I can walk on it but only if I walk on the outside edge of the foot; putting weight on the foot flat hurts, as does supporting weight on the ball or heel of the foot. I have complete movement of the ankle without any pain or stiffness, I can also press hard onto the bottom of my heel with my hand without any pain. This morning its no worse but also no better, going to talk to the doctor tonight if I can but knowing the NHS they will get it wrong :(

Any thoughts? :)

Ive got a little niggle that happens after every time I play rugby. The balls of my feet get really sore now ive felt around for any lumps or anything and the only difference I can feel from when I have the pain, to when its gone is slight swelling of the skin below my little toe. The thing is the entire foot feels really sensitive and I find it painful to walk. Im pretty sure my boots are doing it but is there any way to avoid it?

• 2 weeks later...
Been wearing one of the weird toe protector things. Works alright. Studs are tight.

More injury help though, Dads got a problem with his calf. Every time he runs he gets lightning bolt style of pain shooting up though his calf and it goes as solid as rock. Any idea?

Don't run! :giggle:

Get him to try a slight warm up, maybe walking a bit etc and then the usual stretches.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep getting a bad pain in my calf when I run, like from the ankle where it sticks out on the outside up to my knee. Going to get to a sports therapist or whatever they are I think, but just wondering if anyone else gets it similar?

I get exactly the same thing. You can minimise it by warming up and stretching properly, but if you find what it actually is let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I used to get this when i was younger when i was outside,

I went to the doctor and told me it was from the cold , it was more of an ache than a pain

Maybe be useless info but maybe try deep heat before your run mate . ^_^

Already tried it. No help at all

Keep getting a bad pain in my calf when I run, like from the ankle where it sticks out on the outside up to my knee. Going to get to a sports therapist or whatever they are I think, but just wondering if anyone else gets it similar?

Sometimes a change in shoes or brand of shoe helps if you haven't tried this already. Make sure they are quality running shoes. If you can get them at a specialty runners' shop, they'll usually watch how you jog or run and suggest a particular style or, in some cases, they cut the soles in particular places to let it flex easier. My buying the right shoes with some guidance from the pros fixed all of the aches and pains right off the bat. Just a thought. Good luck to finding out what it is. :)

Edited by Tappets