Front Rims

betterthansteve

What front rims have people found to be strong and light?i know theres a lot of smooth riders out there and i am undoubtably not one of them, im finding my 521cd on an xc to be strong but sadly not too light so what do you use or reccomend for weight, smoothness etc

i guess the simplest way to do this will be

Rim - strengths - weaknesses - weight - price

anyway hope this helps

well, ive learned sidehops on a x517, with the right builder and spokes u will be fine

infact, you can notice the slightest weight diff up front, def get a 517, but, if not a 519, some peeps use them on rear, so there strong enough, anyways

get sapim race for whatever rim, there good spokes, my front rim has taken some shit I can tell you

Edited by Class Team Trials

i have a 517 built by adam with sapim race spokes and a american classic hub.

i have stacked a couple of times onto the front wheel and have two quite large dents in the rim but it is still straight and strong, i will use it until it properly dies which probs wont be for a long time yet.

if you are a heavy rider then get a 519, its a stronger slightly heavier rim and has all the mavic qualities.

cheers janson VVVVVVVVVVVV

Edited by tank_rider

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Im with the 521 front rim backlash! Its a bit wider than the super skinnies, and is so strong... you never worry about it! Solid as a solid thing.

I used to have a 517, was great without a disc... with the disc it wasnt so good. Maybe the build wasnt great? Anywho, my 521 on my non disc wheel is perfect for me, I love it!

I run an F519 on the front. It's about 150g lighter than a D521, and it is totally strong enough on the front, for street, natural, everything (I actually know someone who runs one on the back, though your probs best witha d521 for the rear)... Never had to true my front wheel though. Built on hope hub with DT spokes.

I have tried loads of wheel combinations (Ben-old skool trialser will tell you that) and I have found the best is D521s front and rear. I'm not a heavy rider and I don't destroy wheels and rims. everyone loves 521s on the rear and on the front they are quite practical, they give a good tyre profile, they are strong, they are not too heavy.

I'm running a cdD521 on the rear and it's brilliant!! Even with me being a light person, but heavy riding as I'm not that smooth yet. My next front rim'll be a mavic x517 as my front D521's wearing away at the brake surface. I'm gettin an X517 as they're light and cheap...ish. It'll be built by a really good builder and I'll be running a front disk by then so it should be alright.... if not sweet!!

Edited by Trials Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Running a Ritchey rock comp now.. It's OK...

I see a fair few American/Canadian riders using front DX32 with big holes in them.. Would be cool try try out, but only for front disc (can be hard to set the brake up with a wiiiide rim).