Chain Slack

dane

Guest Old_Skool_Trialser

Its meant to be so the chain can just about touch the stay if pressed upwards.... Correct me if im wrong, but thats how I setup my mod chain tension years ago.

if you tension the chain too much it compresses the front free-wheel, and that leads to all kinds of funny sounds coming from you free-wheel, also the cranks spin when you wheel your bike along if there is too much chain tension as there is more resistance that way...

if you have it too slack on the other hand it will rattle and hit the chain stays, scratch paint etc.. sooooo have it at just over medium pressure

Well, I like my bike to move as soon as I pedal, so I run mine fairly damn tight - so when you push the chain up a bit back from the freewheel/chain-ring it moves about 3mm or so.

Just means it reacts a lot quicker, and feels supremely nice.

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

You can, but there'd not be much point as you're going to wear your drivetrain out a bit quicker. Now I'm back on front freewheel it's all pretty loose - it touches the chainstay if you force the chain up. But yeah, it feels OK, even with a Dicta. Gapping's hit or miss, but c'est la vie. Just gotta learn it better :-

Mark.