Water Bleed

Blommah

Ok, so i did a quick search at the forum and didnt find anything, feel free to flame me if this has already been answered.

Building my hs33a with a RB carbon lever back in action tomorrow, and then i read something about a water bleed.

So i`ve read how to do it, but what are the pros and cons?

Gotta be some downside with it? Doesnt oil lube as well, everything must be worn out faster?

And does it really seal that well so that water doesnt come out?

And have anyone tried it with a carbon lever? Shouldnt be a difference but who knows, might as well ask.

And if there is a detailed guide, or just some tips, tell me :).

Cheers.

Vic

hey, i had a rb carbon lever, braided hosing, and a water bleed, was amazing brake, if bled correctly it will never let you down, altho keep an eye on the seals of the rb lever they tend to leak quite a bit after some use, i ended up getting rid of mine as not being to find o-rings for it, shame really,

if your bleeding by water dnt use your bath if its had magura oil in, i did mum never forgave me for the mess :$

Thank you :). Well i got rid of my RB a while ago. I left it at my LBS (Unfortunately), they didnt want to sell me magura oil and i needed a bleed.

They told me that the lever was leaking, since it wasnt when i left my bike there, i was pretty mad, but couldnt prove anything.

witch O-ring is it that leakes? Have to check at my local hardwarestore.

Cheers

Anti freeze alone is corrosive, thats why you use it with water.

Then again if its too strong a mixture then it will corrode the brake.

I wouldnt bother with anti freeze.

Left my bike in the car with water in brakes for 3 days (snowing over 2 of them) and the brake froze, but didnt break anything.

Just locked the brake on. Now its inside and has defrosted nicely. Did the same a while back with braided steel crossover, and the cross over snapped.

Go plastic hosing

If your using an RB lever, which you are, I wouldn't chance using water myself.

Water is thinner than oil, the RB lever's are prone to leaking with oil in them, so when using a thinner liquid i'd imagine it would leak easier/quicker than it would with oil.

What I mean is water will leak when the o-rings are (for example) 25% worn, while oil won't leak until they are (for example) 50% worn, obviously the figures might not be so far apart or even so low, but the principle remains.........

If your using an RB lever, which you are, I wouldn't chance using water myself.

Water is thinner than oil, the RB lever's are prone to leaking with oil in them, so when using a thinner liquid i'd imagine it would leak easier/quicker than it would with oil.

What I mean is water will leak when the o-rings are (for example) 25% worn, while oil won't leak until they are (for example) 50% worn, obviously the figures might not be so far apart or even so low, but the principle remains.........

Yes i know, that was that i was thinking, but on the other hand, if it isnt completely sealed, wouldnt oil leak as well as water?

yeh, nothing will stop it leaking, but if it does leak, I think that water may leak quicker as it is Less viscous than oil.

Like say you put enginer oil in a cup, and put some thick grease in a cup, turn the cups upside down and the engine oil will spill before the grease, because the grease is thicker.

Edited by jake1516

A water bleed will always feel nicer than an oil bleed, however i use and would recommend oil bleed's as they don't f**k the seals in the master cylinder and, if you get good enough at it, then you can bleed brakes with oil to feel really nice, too (Y) .

Cheers,

Joe.