New Products From Tensile

BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

It's pretty useless to discuss whether or not the price is justified. There WILL be people buying it. There is always something better for the same price or even cheaper. But that's not the point here. People looking for something special and different, will buy it. Just to have a heaset with ti and carbon.

The Tensile headset sounds good on paper, but how throughly tested has Danny Butler put it through its paces in terms of stress and tolerance? would tensile put a 10yr warranty on it (Y) , or is it just a Chris King look-a-like with a load of tech jargon attached to it? (N) Ps, Chain Reaction cycles are selling King no thread headsets on sale for £65 (Y) . that is where my money is going on a headset this year.

Edited by Rusevelt

Just to put the record straight Chris Kings are currently £84.99 at Chain Reaction and £100.79 at Wiggle. You can currently buy them illegally from the States by avoiding duty and Vat for about £68 due to the very favourable exchange rate at the moment. We can do nothing to compete against that unfortunately as the legal price with duty and VAT would be about £84. When the exchange rate falls as well they will creep back up again.

Just to put the record straight Chris Kings are currently £84.99 at Chain Reaction and £100.79 at Wiggle. You can currently buy them illegally from the States by avoiding duty and Vat for about £68 due to the very favourable exchange rate at the moment. We can do nothing to compete against that unfortunately as the legal price with duty and VAT would be about £84. When the exchange rate falls as well they will creep back up again.

I appreciate the replies you give to posts. Its nice to see a company who actually answers questions and listens to riders rather than just informing us of something your bringing out and leaving us guessing.

What sort of warranty is there on this headset? Is it strong enough to justify a king-styled 10 year warranty or will it be a standard 1 year manufacturing and defects warranty?

Furthermore the Tensile headset does come with a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser subject to terms and conditions, the same as the King headset.

enough said :) sounds all good (Y)

spec souds high, warranty sounds as good as it could be, taking the into consideration the price seems reasonable to me

ok lads, i have tested the tensile headset now for months on end there was the odd teething problem with the first prototype but hey that prototyping for you, and i used a king headset for the 4 years before that so i reckon that i have enough experience with the pair and the reason why i now prefer the tensile headset is because i was starting to have more and more problems with my Knig Headset as my level of riding was going up and up. The bigger the stuff that i was hitting the more and more play was developing in the headset to the point i had bearings collapse and after this i replaced the headset with brand new beaarings and the play didn't go away. I can honestly say that with my new Tensile headset it is possibly the smoothest running headset and its really strong too.(and trust me i have give it some real Stick lol) So try it if you want something that is light and strong because that is what the Tensile range seems to provide light strong product anyone that runs the cranks knows what i am talking about. Cheers (Y)

The warranty is specifically to cover faulty workmanship or materials, as is the King warranty and virtually all other warranties. There are specific exclusions such as abuse, neglect, inadequate or incorrect maintenance, failure to follow original fitting instructions, normal wear and tear and accidental damage. If the item fails as a result of faulty materials or poor and inadequate workmanship then it is covered. If it fails as a result of anything else it isn't. That is the nature and basis of legal warranties. In other words, manufacturers have a duty of care to produce products which are made to the best of their ability within the constraints of cost.

If you read the King warranty it has a very specific and extensive list of exclusions and also makes the cost of return the owners responsibility. It also gives them the option to repair rather than replace.

We are currently drawing up the full instructions and warranty sheet for the Tensile but it will offer the same or better safeguards.

My rather cheeky question is surely the impressive sounding "Lifetime Warrenty" replacement/repair support in the warrenty is common to all goods you'd buy from a reputable manufacturer? I don't hesitate to replace parts that similarly fail due to materials/workmanship issues so I guess I've just been missing a trick in not adding "Lifetime warrenty" to the product description! When riders read that then they may believe it's worth paying more for, like it's a duty of care inexcess of normal. It could be that your precise warrenty is more generous though I conceed.

I would expect that if I had a failure of an FSA headset which qualified for the poor materials/workmanship then they would replace it, although they haven't added the tag of "Lifetime warrenty" to their product description. Their missed marketing opportunity maybe?

I wasn't sure if I should make this point since I'm also selling bike components, but hopefully it's ok! Clarifying warrenty support in general for riders is a good idea. I've no plans to sell rival headsets :)

Steve

A lifetime warranty means that we do not attach a time limit to it. If you buy an FSA headset then it will have a warranty probably for 1 year. This means it underwrites its warranty covered events for one year. Outside that time they would not cover it even if it was proven faulty workmanship or materials. King give a time limit of 10 years. We felt that a 10 year warranty is effectively a lifetime warranty, so why not say so. We certainly feel that any faults which occur within the headset will certainly show up within 10 years, so it is unlikely that any claims will be made against it after that time. I don't really see it as a sales opportunity but more as an endorsement of the confidence which we have in the product.

I think it perfectly right and proper for you to make comments like that on a thread like this. You are not making any comments about our products, as I would never make any about your products or those of any other rival. I only wish this was true about other competitors who have already made some unsubstantiated comparisons on this thread.

Furthermore the Tensile headset does come with a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser subject to terms and conditions, the same as the King headset.

well thats changed my opinion a bit, you should have said that in the first post. i'll be getting one of these no doubt.

A lifetime warranty means that we do not attach a time limit to it. If you buy an FSA headset then it will have a warranty probably for 1 year. This means it underwrites its warranty covered events for one year. Outside that time they would not cover it even if it was proven faulty workmanship or materials. King give a time limit of 10 years. We felt that a 10 year warranty is effectively a lifetime warranty, so why not say so. We certainly feel that any faults which occur within the headset will certainly show up within 10 years, so it is unlikely that any claims will be made against it after that time. I don't really see it as a sales opportunity but more as an endorsement of the confidence which we have in the product.

I think it perfectly right and proper for you to make comments like that on a thread like this. You are not making any comments about our products, as I would never make any about your products or those of any other rival. I only wish this was true about other competitors who have already made some unsubstantiated comparisons on this thread.

Hi Mike, Thanks for welcoming my query and for highlighting the time period issue on manufacturers warrenties which may vary. I appreciate that in addition the exclusions can vary and also the actual implimentation since there is some subjectivity involved. The clearer info the better! I think it's a good thing that you've chosen to explain warrent claim disputes in the past on TF, to bring clarity to it. It can sometimes be a prickly issue, so the clearer that a fair warrenty can be explained the better. It's a great support for riders to know that if their parts are defective they will have it sorted out without quibble, but of course there are always people who may try and abuse this. I know that we're all guilty of wanting something for nothing! I.e. that free replacement component after the first one naturally died a death after being completely abused!

Steve

As I said, yesterday, here is the precise wording of our half price replacement policy. This is as it will appear in our Service Manuals currently being prepared for the new cycle standards legislation.

Onza Half Price Replacement Policy

Onza Bicycles operates a half price replacement policy on all its products but this does not include complete bicycles. It operates for two years from the date of the original purchase and is entirely discretionary with the management of Onza bicycles. It has no legal basis and does not form part of the original contract of sale. Onza Bicycles will replace for half the suggested retail price at their discretion any Onza branded frame, fork or other component damaged in any way within that two year period. This policy does not replace any other warranty stated or implied and does not affect any other statutory rights under UK law.

The policy is operated under certain rules and exclusions as follows.

1. It only applies to the original purchaser of the new product and cannot be passed on or sold to a second user of the item.

2. The policy and payment is operated directly with Onza bicycles and does not involve its agents, distributors, retailers or internet sales operators.

3. The customer concerned must agree to keep the whole process confidential. Any adverse publicity generated by the user in magazines or other publications, websites, forums or blogs will automatically void any entitlement to a replacement.

4. Onza bicycles insist that all items replaced under the policy must be returned to them prior to replacement.

5. The customer must accept responsibility for carriage charges both ways for the returned item and its replacement.

6. The policy is operated strictly on the basis of suggested retail prices and will not apply to any lower prices achieved by the customer when purchasing at a discount or via a clearance deal on an internet auction site or by any other method.

3. The customer concerned must agree to keep the whole process confidential. Any adverse publicity generated by the user in magazines or other publications, websites, forums or blogs will automatically void any entitlement to a replacement.

so if a rider snaps his frame or something and puts a post in the angry thread i.e:

oh shit man i just snapped my t-pro "some pics" ah well at least i get hooked up with 1/2 price replacement which is something.

you guys can turn around and say naah you aint getting anything from us?

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I imagine they wouldn't be 100% strict with that. Saying that a frame broke and you got a free replacement or half-price replacement is still a pretty positive thing to hear, compared to what people go through with other companies, so I'd imagine it's only if - like they say - it's really adverse publicity they'd be a bit sketchy about it. There was a case with *Removed the name* a while back with a rider on here where they made a post about their frame breaking and *Removed the name* made them delete the pictures/content before they'd help them out, so it's more just that they're being up front about it all.

after re-reading the whoel thread my opinion has changed, i think after disscussing the terms of warrenty this indeed will be one of the best headsets out on the market, i have 2 questions however.

1. will they have any other colours?

2. are there any other parts in the making ie bb?