Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

Torsion springs like the one between the tensioner mount and the jockey wheel carrier can be found in a lot of cheap v-brakes or cantis. The ones in derailleurs have more twists to keep tension more constant as the derailleur cage moves through a large angle.

Torsion springs like the one between the tensioner mount and the jockey wheel carrier can be found in a lot of cheap v-brakes or cantis. The ones in derailleurs have more twists to keep tension more constant as the derailleur cage moves through a large angle.

Yeah I was just thinking about those springs on cheap V-brakes. They might work nicely.

post-13868-1231185536_thumb.jpg

This one has been going strong for about a year now, tension is awesome thanks to a really thick saw blade.

post-13868-1231185548_thumb.jpg

The block is made from hardwood and lets the spring bend around it. Spring is attached to the block by a long bolt with countersunk spacer and nut. Jubilee clip is rock solid and stainless.

post-13868-1231185557_thumb.jpg

Wheel removal is real easy too, saw blade just swings out the way of the chain.

I have one that looks remarkably similar. The spring (hacksaw blade) is fixed to a bent piece of metal to the rear of the chainstay with zip ties - again, no problems in the few months I've had it. It also gets hidden under the chainstay protector.

Amazing how similar it is yet no copying was involved.

Phone pic below. Instead os a jockey wheel I thought I'd go for 2 bent bits of metal (started as a plastic coat hanger but that couldn't hack it).

post-10610-1238017904_thumb.jpg

Dave, if your referring to the scheme were they're sending the frames round, it's not testing, it's a publicity stunt. The frames are already designed, tested and he's sold several already.

Whats wrong with him being disabled? Ever seen 1handed luke ride? Or any of his videos? He's a really good rider, and this guy hasn't got a strap on the bar, so maybe he's just missing his index finger or something.

ive done same as beau il get a pic now.

works fukin mint , took 20 mins to make and fit it if that...

Gonna' make myself one of them tomorrow...

How does it work ? Just bolt a jockey wheel to the end hole of the spanner, Put it on your axle and tighten your wheel....I can't understand how its tensioning the chain though ? Do you push down on the spanner till the chains the tension you want and them tighten the bolt up against the frame in your dropout ?