Homemade Tensioner

Ash-Kennard

Have you tried it yet. From what I can see in the picture I think the chains going to wear into the tape and surely the whole thing will just fall apart, unless theres something I cant see.

I have yes, It stay in place well. not 100% of the time. need to work on that! and the only thing else thats holding it in place is a few zipties

LMAO Matt, is that jsut bash plate rubber?! Well done, nice and functional!

Yes, it is indeed! Got bored. There is a half link in the chain that helps.

Am i the one of the very few people who have made a my own tensioner and that still has it working? mine is working still and beautifully at that! have to say that it is the bets thing i have ever made for my bike!

Adam

just made a tensioner out of a spanner since my last post! it pulls the tension in rather than pushing it out which i preffer.

i am yet to see how it performs but it seems all ok on the spare frame which i have set it up on!

Am i the one of the very few people who have made a my own tensioner and that still has it working? mine is working still and beautifully at that! have to say that it is the bets thing i have ever made for my bike!

Adam

The 3 i've made work a treat. This is the latest configuration. I keep making them because I find simpler ways of doing it. This is a keeper. Now complete with blanking replaceable dropout plate.

post-8178-1183048640_thumb.jpg

post-8178-1183048622_thumb.jpg

how is the arm on that free to move ? isnt it clamped by the axle ?

im guessing the only way you could of done it would be to fit it over the axle ? in that case i would be worried of it catching the freehub body and giving me some pain...

how is the arm on that free to move ? isnt it clamped by the axle ?

im guessing the only way you could of done it would be to fit it over the axle ? in that case i would be worried of it catching the freehub body and giving me some pain...

It isn't but im guessing that it just works like a fixed tensioner apart from that when the tensioner trys to move like they always do the spring will hold it in place. Keeping the tension.

I may try making one the same but with a pivot half way.

Edited by andy h

It isn't but im guessing that it just works like a fixed tensioner apart from that when the tensioner trys to move like they always do the spring will hold it in place. Keeping the tension.

I may try making one the same but with a pivot half way.

The spring is from a dead sora mech

The arm fits over the axle and is free to move. There is no way it will ever get snagged. Check it out next time I see you out Rowan and decide for yourself.

A pivot half way isnt necessary. The spring is essential to hold the tension in this version. If I go to a frame with no cable guide then i'll make a clamp to suit the seat stay. You can set the tension by the length of the cable holding the spring but it doesnt need much to hold it.

• 1 month later...