Www.xxx.co.uk

531joshua

Just got the new site finished today, it's a online auction system for bike trials products. Basically like ebay, but dedicated to enabling people to register, manage their account preferences and buy and sell bike trials related products. The design is very simple for now, just to make sure the site is functioning correctly, but a new design with more colour and detail is on the way! The idea behind the site is to make it easier to browse for bike trials specific parts, as ebay and other sites alike have a vast directory of parts related to keywords, bike-trial.co.uk breaks that down hopefully.

http://link removed

Please comment, if you encounter any errors or have any suggestions on improvement/areas I've went wrong I need to know to fix/improve these problems. Oh, and advertise your stuff :)

Thanks,

Josh.

I think it needs working doing to it to make it alot more presentable. I would say get it looking sexy ect and then relaunch it, it will have a better chance of working out that way.

Yeah I know what your saying, I'm working on a new design but need to see how well it all goes as in if anyone is going to use it etc.

I'll keep you posted on a new design!

Thanks,

Josh.

Why does he need to re-do anything? Why is it necessary for everything to look pretty? it works, end off. KISS. Good Idea btw :)

Yeah, I know it would be an improvement, but is it a nessecary thing to have it looking nicer? I mean, it's there for one purpose, to allow you to advertise and buy bike trials specific products.

Looking at the current design, is it really all that bad? I know I have deffinately seen worse, in personal sites too :o Is Ebays design all that flash?! (take into mind it's a lot bigger)

But as the majority are keen to see a design re-vamp, I'll continue with the new theme.

Why does he need to re-do anything? Why is it necessary for everything to look pretty? it works, end off. KISS. Good Idea btw :)

Because it gives the site a proffesional touch and makes people trust it more and want to use it. If ebay was like this website do you thing it qould be as big as it is now no it wouldn't. The visuals of something can determine if something is a hit or not. Its the same with parts how many people do you think have bought a gu for example just because they think it looks good and dont have a clue about the geo of it. I can bet theres quite a few.

New image upload feature now added to the site, there's a link in the footer/bottom of the page. It's very simple, but saying as I've used the URL bar so you can only paste an URL to an image if you want one in your description, I guess this feature makes it easier for you :)

I'm still updating the sites design and developing an even better image input method, allowing you to 'attach' an image to the listing.

Comments please :)

Thanks,

Josh.

It's a nice idea, and I think the simple design works, but I can't see why anybody would use it over eBay. Yes, there'll be no 'crap' to search through, but if I was looking for a trials part I'd look on eBay as well anyway, because the chances are that not every trials part for sale would be listed here.

Also, for sellers, eBay is a better bet as their auction will be visible to several tens of millions of other potential bidders. This means potentially more interest, more bids and therefore higher final sale prices.

I like the idea you have here.

Create an identity for the site, do some research into some branding, I'd start by looking at Ebay's identity.

I also think that bike-trial.co.uk is restricting you for the future. Say that your site takes off, you may want to introduce the whole trials scene to your market place. There ain't just Bike Trials.

Build some values for your market place.

"Effective identity is valued because it builds awareness, increases recognition, communicates uniqueness and quality, and expresses a competitive difference."

What makes your market place different to other online markets?

Why should people choose your online market and not the others?

With the amount of bits you see for sale on the forum I think your idea could take off.

But I really think that you should think of a better name than bike-trial.

"The right name is timeless, is tireless, is easy to say and remember and stands for something. Looks great in the text of an email and in the logo. The wrong name for a company, product, or service can hinder marketing efforts, through miscommunication or because people cannot pronounce it or remember it."

Anyway, thats what I reckon you should get sorted before trying to get people to use your site.

Like i said, I love the idea of a trials only! online market.

One more thing, how are YOU going to benefit from it? People are going to be making money from something you have put time and effort into.

Craig.......

Wheeler, Alina. Designing Brand Identity, A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands: Wiley, 2005.

Edited by Mr_scott

I like the idea you have here.

Create an identity for the site, do some research into some branding, I'd start by looking at Ebay's identity.

I also think that bike-trial.co.uk is restricting you for the future. Say that your site takes off, you may want to introduce the whole trials scene to your market place. There ain't just Bike Trials.

Build some values for your market place.

"Effective identity is valued because it builds awareness, increases recognition, communicates uniqueness and quality, and expresses a competitive difference."

What makes your market place different to other online markets?

Why should people choose your online market and not the others?

With the amount of bits you see for sale on the forum I think your idea could take off.

But I really think that you should think of a better name than bike-trial.

"The right name is timeless, is tireless, is easy to say and remember and stands for something. Looks great in the text of an email and in the logo. The wrong name for a company, product, or service can hinder marketing efforts, through miscommunication or because people cannot pronounce it or remember it."

Anyway, thats what I reckon you should get sorted before trying to get people to use your site.

Like i said, I love the idea of a trials only! online market.

One more thing, how are YOU going to benefit from it? People are going to be making money from something you have put time and effort into.

Craig.......

Wheeler, Alina. Designing Brand Identity, A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands: Wiley, 2005.

Thanks for that! Yeah I know what your getting too with the marketing thing etc, and the name bike-trial, I know its simple, but I thought it would be easy for people to remember...? I have come across some minor problems with the site anyway, I'm going to take it offline for a while, tweak it, get it running more efficently, and add some more content to it, + much better design, maybe even a better name as you mentioned.

When we're at it, has anyone got some suggestions for a good name/identity? Any help much appreciated.

And thanks for all the comments lads.

Josh.

Thing is, you need to get EVERYONE using it.

If you only have 10 people using it, and they all wanna sell stuff, and not buy stuff, you're a bit screwed really.

It's a good idea, and I wish you the best of luck with it, but it's gonna be hard work to get it sorted, unless you sort some kinda advertising deal with T-F where they link to your site instead of having a for sale section... or something.

Yeah, anyone wanting to sell/buy stuff is going to go to Ebay straight away, I can't afford to advertise it yet, I planned to use google adsense to try and pay for the hosting etc, and yeah, needs people to use it, see how it goes, I'm busy codeing the new version 2, should be released sometime at the end of this summer, hopefully sooner. It should be a lot better than the previous one, with a members area where you can manage your details, and I plan to have more pages, eg. Home, Sell, Buy, Help and so on.

More comments and suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Josh.