Loughborough Uni

MikeSmith

what are the sport facilities actually like? Word is they are brilliant!

English Cricket Academy, seated sports stadium used for UK events, one of the most advanced artifical water based soccer pitches in the UK, same for hockey, indoor swimming pool with seating area and touch-pad timing system, won the overall BUSA sports champs for... 26 (i think) years in a row, 1st XI football playing in the FA Cup next season, about £40million spent in the last few years, and plenty more i've missed... so its not bad!

As for the rest of the place - yep, i'd recommend it.

ahahah classic.

Tart may well have used them during part of his degree course though! you just never know.

Good knock on affect is that there are lots of gyms in town that are well priced student rates too.

As well as a higher proportion of women being rather tasty too. :(

Loughborough is a quality place to study, its in the top ten unis for the country any way i think.!!!

The university campus is one of the nicest in the country, and the student union is second to none. It's open basically every night of the week, and has something like 7 or 8 different bars. There's also a couple of clubs in town, and while they're nothing amazing they're decent enough if you get drunk :(

The sports facilities as mentioned are amazing, but the problem is unless you're a member of one of the teams (which requires you to be bloody good at whatever it is!) you'll find it difficult to use the very best equipment. Having said that there's loads of football pitches, tennis courts, etc. and even the stuff set aside for the 'normal' student is high quality. As Josh mentioned, there's also a few gyms on campus that don't cost much to join, as well as a decent one in the local leisure centre which is also very cheap.

Basically the atmosphere you get at Loughborough is pretty unique, owing to the fact that the majority of the population are students, which also gives the added bonus that there are very few chavs around. You could do a hell of a lot worse than come to Luf, I know I've never regretted choosing it.

Reading back through that I sound like I'm a bloody salesman, but meh, never mind, I hope it's been helpful!

Basically the atmosphere you get at Loughborough is pretty unique, owing to the fact that the majority of the population are students, which also gives the added bonus that there are very few chavs around.

Forgot about that... its VERY quiet in summer when all the students go home!

Sounds better than Royal Holloway our on campus bars are shit although we do have the nicest looking main campus building in the form of som victorian castle thingy majig. Ill post a pic its such a nice place interms of looks.

Only prob is it takes in 2/3 private school people so everones rich and stuck up Ive seen a student in a lambo here.

Ther eis no nightlife her eoutside of campus but londons 30mins away

I wonder if I would have been helped with my ten pin bowling if I went luth I was playing for exxex once upon a time andhad an england try out then I gave up as it got too expensive after i turned 18

there is a water based astro turf pitch, which is literally as it says astro turf.. with water so it doesnt burn.

theres also a rubber crumb pitch... which is like synthetic grass stuff, sept non plastic and you can use football boots etc on it. Infact i dont get how it works but it does.

i havent found it claustrophobic one bit being in halls.

Thanks for the replies, you have all  been very helpful. Sounds great!

I do road racing competitively, tt's and duathlons. Are there much in the way of this?

There is a very active Road Racing scene in the bike club. There are Busa road races amongst a plethora of other races that the club competes in as well as weekly training rides and circuit traning. Time trials wise it is very similar with many races competed in with transport provided or arranged, also there are trips arranged to the manchester velodrome pretty regularly if that floats your boat.

Next year trials rider wise there will be at least five or six of us still up here, with the probability of a few other freshers.

another roadie! there are literally billions of them around on a sunday morning you'll have no trouble getting sorted with that. You can keep your bike in your room also if you become part of the cycling society which gets a big :( :(

I do road racing competitively, tt's and duathlons. Are there much in the way of this?

Very much so. Theres also some sort of Triathlon Academy Centre here as well, I'll ask my mate about it... and a couple of the members are Olympic standard I think.

• 4 weeks later...