Magura Hs33 Setup

Biff

After recently seeing alot of posts about "how to set up my magura", I have decided to make a useful topic which should solve any problems to do with your brake.

Firstly make a fresh start, (if you can) if you had previous brake problems and didn't set it up correctly the pads could be worn at stupid angles causing the whole process to be a struggle and you would have wished you never messed around with it.

If your wanting to run a grind get some decent pads, I have always used Plazmatic CRM's which can be purchased from www.tartybikes.co.uk and www.cleanbikes.co.uk. These are perfect on ground rims, make a really nice noise (when set up perfect) and the wear rate is incredibly low.

When I first get a brand new pair of pads i always check the angle they have been cut, if you look carefully at a new pads you will set its slightly angled at one end and perfectly straight on the other, work out which side of the pad is angled most and put that facing forward, the direction of the wheel. This is a common mistake people dont look out for, thats why even when you have set your pads up correctly they still wear at an angle.

So you have put your pads in the right way. Loosen the TRA on the leaver.

Let your tire(s) right down so you have full accuracy of setting up your brake, this way you can see that the pad is set up to the rim from all angles.

DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BRAKE WITHOUT PRESSURE BEEN FORCED BETWEEN THE PADS

This is another mistake people tend to make and it means 1 pad will go out before the other. If your tempted to test your pistons are moving correctly placed your hands over the pads and press in hard, get a somebody to pull the leaver in for you, this way the pistons are going out at the exact same time. If you had a Monty Brake splitter you wouldn't need to do this.

Place your brakes into the clamps, I set my pads up 3mm on 1 side 4mm the other, as you will notice 1 pad will always go out before the other so it gives the other pad time to hit the rim making them hit at the same time. Make sure the pads are DEAD FLAT to the rim, not so 1 side touches before the other side.

Think of 1 side of the pads being called A and the other being called B make sure A doesnt touch before B. They both have to touch AA or BB (flat)

Tighten your clamps so you can just move the brake this way you can pression your brakes easier and when you tighten the clamp the brake won't suddenly move to an all new direction.

Once you have your brake all set up its time to ride, you will notice the performance of your rear brake may be abit poor, this is because the pads (when fresh) are covered in a coating which turns to a black dust, not to worry though boil the kettle and poor it over the rim then ride with the brake on to clean up the coating from the pads. Leave to dry naturally.

Hope this helped, its a little long I know but my brakes work amazing, and If CLS can trust me with setting his brakes up then it shoudln't be a problem for you.

Cheers, Biff

to get my pads flat to the rim so that they wear evenley, i use a small piece of sheet metal, 2mm thick i place this next to the rim and the pad, and then push the pad up to the metal then tightne the clamps, thus a perfectly set up brake each time

ash

i use coins - 2p for a small gap £1 for a larger gap - saves you having to find a 2mm bit of metal

I use an old credit card to keep my pads flat on the rim.

And once I sort out my rear hose problem, and true my rear wheel, I can have my brake perfect.

I hate having to pull the lever really far (to bars) for it to brake, I like it nice and tight. (no jokes please (Y) )

Pretty good topic, Isn't it TPA ? not TRA? (Y)

Not bad biff, you'v out done yourself :blink:

Once i get the funds for a new rear wheel and some new pads, my rear brake is going to be awsome!

(i already know how to set my brake up though :S )

Slingers brake was VERY awsome, but when i looked at his set-up, it looked like he only took 2 mins to do it lmao!

The pads were barley square to the rim lol

Not bad biff, you'v out done yourself :blink:

Once i get the funds for a new rear wheel and some new pads, my rear brake is going to be awsome!

(i already know how to set my brake up though :S )

Slingers brake was VERY awsome, but when i looked at his set-up, it looked like he only took 2 mins to do it lmao!

The pads were barley square to the rim lol

A brake can be super loud if it has a crap set up for example if A hits before B from a distance causing the pads to vibrate it will make a VERY loud noise but i wouldnt recomend it on new pads and if your new to setting brakes up.

• 8 months later...

I tried fitting some new pads today to my Tmag but i find that the pads are too thick (Heatsink browns) to fit with the pistons in their current position.

Can the piston be moved outwards at all to set the gap. I had a look and I thought that the plastic washers had grooves in, i guess these are from use and not there from new or setup would be hell.

Any help would be good.

Bob

Absolutely, I am proud of myself.

Thanks, The heatsinks were second hand but new thrown in when i bought the bike.

I think i'm going to order some onza citrus pads since im on a budget and a couple of the plastic washers. I really think that the piston should slide abit further out though so that the plastic washer isn't completely on the grooved area, but is mostly.

Bob