Using A Helicoil To Fix A Stripped Thread

EP Cycles

Here is a guide for you all should that beloved frame strip a thread.

Please not these photos are not of a bike but a pure sliver base which had the same issue. The manner to the work is exactly the same.

Helicoil has many applications and is a great way to replace a stripped thread.

Stripping the thread is a common occurrence with all small and fine threads as usually they have a stainless steel bolts tightening down into a aluminum base which is a very soft metal so a turn to much can easily strip the thread from the softer metal - all is not lost

There are a couple of methods that could be used and my first thought was to simply re-drill and tap the offending hole but this would then have left the dilemma of finding a new larger stainless steel Hex bolt so decided to try using a Helicoil which essentially is oversize drilling and tapping the hole then using a Helicoil to plug the hole to the same size as it were previously.

Closer inspection you can see clearly the thread was in fact stripped good and proper

2.jpg

So first of all the hole was drilled out using a 4.1mm drill

3.jpg

So the hole was oversized like this

4-1.jpg

Then using a M4x.7 Tap, re-tapped the hole (2 turns in and 1 turn back to get rid of swarf)

5.jpg

6.jpg

So your left with a nice rethreaded hole like this...

7.jpg

This is a close up of the Helicoil which will be used to bring the hole back to the correct size.

As you can see its basically a small spring with a dog leg on the end called a "tang" which is needed to screw the thing in place.

8.jpg

A special tool is used to compress the spring so that it can be screwed into the hole - the idea is that once in the hole the helicoil will de-compress out over and attach itself to the threaded hole.

To start off with the small Helicoil is screwed loosely onto the threaded shaft of the tool like so...

9.jpg

Then the shaft is inserted into the body and screwed in so it compresses and just starts to protrude out the end of the tool which also has a threaded end - the Helicoil has no alternative but to compress in over

10.jpg

so the end of the tool looks like this...

11.jpg

That end is now placed firmly over the threaded hole on the block base and while keeping hold of the body of the tool, the shaft is screwed out which forces the Helicoil into the base

12.jpg

14.jpg

and from the other side of the base you can just begin to see the Helicoil coming into place

15.jpg

Once the Helicoil is flush with the base and the "tang" is just protruding the shaft of the tool can be screwed back out leaving the Helicoil in place

16.jpg

......and from the other side

17.jpg

As you can see the existing bolt now fits back into the hole perfectly

18.jpg

Using the tang removal tool which is essentially high tensile steel bar which fits the hole, it can be placed on a sturdy bench and hit with a hammer which removes the tang like so - leaving the hole flush to rest of the base with a perfect re threaded hole to accept the hex bolt.

19.jpg

Just like new

EP Cycles

Wont the coil come out the other side? Because i want to do some cranks I've got. here is a link to the topic linky linky Could you help me out? As you seem to know what your doing. thanks paul.

Hi Paul,

So you have a set of Echo CNC'd cranks, right hand thread for the pedal has stripped. Is that the threa in the crank or the pedal repaceable insert gone on the threads for the the pedal?

The coil doesn't move once fitted and the tang removed.

EP Cycles

Its the threads in the crank arm that are gone and need re-tapping. But i dont kknow what size tap and coil i need. plus its oppisite threads.

9/16 inch x 20 tpi - Pedal threads- common three piece cranks

How ever the threads on pedals are back to front threads. Could get a steel insert made, have them lathe the threads on to it. Screw it to the pedal then into the the crank with some thread lock.

Belive Edd Pots is the man here for enginering.

I can ask some local guys what they can do for you too but i'm not sure how much it'll cost.

EP Cycles

Cheers for the post Pete :) Nice use of copy and paste http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1211 but cheers anyway.

Perfectly allowed and there nothing of use on here showing anyone how or what the parts are so i though it'd be a good idea to show it off.

You pick me up via my IP?

Also you going to respond to any of my e-mails the Danny or sit high and proud?

your a fanny, look up above. hes used a website and hes another person in disguise...

No just a new account for a new company. I maybe have copied soemthing but i contrubited something to the forum of which the forum did not have at all what so ever of which it has helped one person out so far.

All within the rules and regs of the forum i do belive when i looked at them when i set this account up.

EP Cycles

No just a new account for a new company. I maybe have copied soemthing but i contrubited something to the forum of which the forum did not have at all what so ever of which it has helped one person out so far.

All within the rules and regs of the forum i do belive when i looked at them when i set this account up.

EP Cycles

You're banned, 100% remember. Goodbye!