An Amazing Illusion Was Made...

*PHIL*

Quick question like...

How do you get this effect with a camera?

Post%20Box.jpg

Unless its just a function on some fancy camera all I can think of is if you use burst mode and paste em together on photoshop... But this seems like alot of work and i cant see the result looking this good...

Cheers

Kenny

TSL

cloning machine, and good timing.

nah its pretty much as you thought, burst mode(better cameras have better burst modes, like continous 10fps shooting on new 1d, compared to say 3 shots in a second over a 1.5 second period on your point and shoot) then blend together in photoshop, you can see on one of the middle riders its been done, with a fairly soft large brush, as the rear of his left leg is fading in.

obiviously a tripod is a huge help in doing this, but for a short period of time like this arms will suffice unless your uber shaky, just press the button and hold it still, and itll come out fine

Actually there's a custom function on most Canon cameras which allows it to be done automatically in camera. :)

Is there? :blink:

The trick is to make sure the camera stays very still. It can be tempting to pan with the rider a bit, but that ruins it.

It's done usually by recording a *video* of the move, then splicing fram grabs from the video together.

no its not, hardly ever done that way as far as im aware, just stick the camera in continous burst mode with a quick shutter speed,as narrower aperture as you can get away with the shutter speed(otherwise rider being in focus the whole way through may be an issue, but only if your stepping down below like 2.8/shooting uber far out to close in) and boosh, hold it still and keep the shutter release pressed.

you take several photo's at different stages throught he trick. Mike means that there is an option for burst fire on many camera's.

These photo's need to be taken without moving the camera ideally. (tripod etc)

Then you use photoshop and basically cut the rider out of each photo, and using layers, put each mini picture of the rider, on top of the background.

Because the camera was still, tree's etc, through the spokes, line up between layers to give the effect of it being one complete photograph.

Bongo

Haha, awesome. Oh, JT how did it go with that american bird?

Excellent thanks, going back at the very end of September, got 4 weeks of work yey.

no its not, hardly ever done that way as far as im aware, just stick the camera in continous burst mode with a quick shutter speed,as narrower aperture as you can get away with the shutter speed(otherwise rider being in focus the whole way through may be an issue, but only if your stepping down below like 2.8/shooting uber far out to close in) and boosh, hold it still and keep the shutter release pressed.

agreed if it was done with a camera it would be super blurry

No..i THINK mike means there is an picture overlay function his camera. As there is with mine to.

ahh, he said most CANON camera's lol. I thought he said most camera's.

Looks like you're right then :P There's a first for everything lol!!!

I wish people would stop being lazy in photoshop though, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to whack on the quick mask and cut out the gaps between spokes, just makes it look better IMO.

If you've taken the shots properly though, ie. with a tripod/perfectly still camera, then the background between the pokes will be consistent once you place the rider over the base layer in the correct place.

bongo

I'm fine thankyou Charlie how are you my dear boy?

And Bongo you are correct ish, the background SHOULD stay the same, but looking at the above image Neils wheels are overlapping one another in many places and you can't see the one behind through the spokes because its been cut out around the outside, if Mike had masked the insides of the wheels you would see the other wheel behind it, see what I'm getting at?

And Bongo you are correct ish, the background SHOULD stay the same, but looking at the above image Neils wheels are overlapping one another in many places and you can't see the one behind through the spokes because its been cut out around the outside, if Mike had masked the insides of the wheels you would see the other wheel behind it, see what I'm getting at?

not bad, get the scrot on msn. it's been too long.

well yeah that's definately the exception like. If the background is a changing environment like maybe cars or something, then yeah fair enough, or in this case becasue of the angle of the shot where it's overlapped you should definately make the effort to mask off between the spokes!

Bongo

I wish people would stop being lazy in photoshop though, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to whack on the quick mask and cut out the gaps between spokes, just makes it look better IMO.

Good point, never noticed that in the pic before you pointed it out.