Heli Coil ...:(

bennyb

Hi all

i snapped a bolt off in my bake mount. I tryed to get i out but did't work:(

so now i dont no what to do .. so i thought about heli coiling it .. but i dont no where to get it done or where i could buy it to do it myself :(

could anyone give some helpful advice please .

thanks bennyb

Helicoiling is replacing the thread, which isn't what you want to do if you've got the bolt stuck in there....what you want to is either drill through the centre (with a drill peice several sizes below 10mm, and go up 1mm each time WITHOUT hitting the threads) Then you can grip the edge (hopefully) and turn it with perhaps some long nosed pliers.How much of the bolt is exposed and accessable? Get a photo if you can before you do anything so you don't make matters worse.How anyone snaps a bolt in the thread is beyond me :S

firstly, have you snapped the bolt inside and is still inside?assuming so, you may have to drill it out, then helicoil the mount.this is normally quite cheap by an engineer or a LBS, about £5-£15lewis
You can avoid helicoiling if you dont hit the thread...and helicoiling is something you REALLY want to avoid here.

My mate did it once, he didnt have any sticking out, so he took it to his local bike shop, they drilled the old bolt out, and then took it to a engineering place to get it helicoiled, cos him about 20 quid!

Not too bad!!

If u ant got money to spend, then you could just drill it out urself, then tap it to the next size up!

This isn't ideal, as it means u have to drill your mounts in order to fit the bolt through!

Hope i helped!

Ps. any local engineering places will heli coil it for about £10 :D

Danny...

My mate did it once, he didnt have any sticking out, so he took it to his local bike shop

Does nobody do anything themselves anymore? Just that for £20?...

Helicoil - About 50p - £1, its a standard sizing.

Time - About 10 minutes MAX.

...I'll do it for a fiver :P

I think its been said before but has the bolt snapped inside the thread? is there any threar petrouding out of the hole if that makes sence? if so you can usualy get it out but if not then helicoiling is your only option which i think whe have already agreed on!

To be honest i have never helicoied a 33 mount, i just tap it out to a size larger and be done with it, works just aswell i think!

Edited by Radfax

if your brake mounts are still on, undo the other bolts and take the mounts off, hopefully there will be a bit of thread sticking out the top, if so turn that. if not whack a screw driver in there and turn it anti clockwise, the bolt should come out with enough turns and pressure.

you shouldnt need to helicoil, unless you drill the bolt out, which is basically your last resort. use this for help