Long Hose = Bad Braking ?

Jimmy_E

Hi all ,

I haven't yet cut my rear maggie's hose and the braking is bad . I have the blue rock pad and a try all rim (grind).

The hose is approximately 1 m too long .

So i wanna know if the long hose is the probleme on my brake .

I will cut it this week when i will have time and motivation to make it. ^_^

A longer hose shouldn’t relay reduce the power of the break. Maybe if you re-bled it making shore there is no air in the system or try and bath bleed it maybe that will make a difference.

How harsh is your grind? Maybe you should consider buying new pads plazzys if it is a sharp grind or Zoo! Pads if it is a light grind.

Hope This Helps

John

Edited by mod_man

A longer hose shouldn’t relay reduce the power of the brake. Maybe if you re-bled it making sure there is no air in the system or try and bath bleed it maybe that will make a difference.

How harsh is your grind? Maybe you should consider buying new pads plazzys if it is a sharp grind or Zoo! Pads if it is a light grind.

Hope This Helps

John

I agree with John, the length shouldn't make a difference in power...As long as it's a good bleed, you will be fine...

I run my cables long to do tail whip drop offs! and don't have a problem.

are your brakes set up square to the rim?

You said your running rock pads! these are soft pads so of set up slightly off square they will give the impression of being relay spongy!

cheers Jamie.

The length of the hose shouldn't really make a difference. Make sure that your brake is properly set up for your rim and give it a water bleed. Water bleeds make the brake seem a lot firmer.

I run my cables long to do tail whip drop offs! and don't have a problem.

are your brakes set up square to the rim?

You said your running rock pads! these are soft pads so of set up slightly off square they will give the impression of being relay spongy!

cheers Jamie.

If your break is not set up square to the rim I would suggest that you use the credit card method to set them up.

Credit card method= Put a credit card maybe two (depending on how you like your break to feel) in-between your rim and pad then push the slave cylinder towards the rim and tighten up the bolts on your clamps. This should make the pads as square to the rim as possible

• 2 weeks later...

Salu, un magura 2005 normal c'est ca? Ecoute la longueur de la gaine change normalement rien (theroriquement) mais voila y'en a qui disent qu'on sent que le frein est un peu plus "mou" meme si c'est un peu HS. Ah ouais et c'est pas parce que t'a jamais ouvert le frein qu'il ne peut pas y avoir d'air a l'interieur, c'est possible qu'il y a une petite fuite indetectable qui laisse peut-etre pas sortir d'huile mais laisse cependant rentrer de l'air.

It may not be a huge loss in performance but the longer the hose the less power you will be able to create at the pad/rim. Hoses expand under pressure which means the entire length of the hose will expand a small amount as soon as the pad hits the rim and there is some resistance (least path of resistance - it would rather try and expand a hose than compress a pad or flex a frame or squash a rim). The longer the hose, the more surface area and the more volume you create for the fluid to go rather than transfer into braking power at the rim. Braided lines are used to combat this since its quite difficult to expand and they maintain their volume under pressure. Its one of the best performance upgrades for brakes on cars etc and the same applies for maggies/hope/shimano/whatever.

I think if you have 1m excess brake line its worth cutting and seeing if there is a difference.

Anyone who saw my 24" will know my thoughts on the matter ;)

By that I take it that wrapping the excess hose around your bars 5 times had no affect on braking performance? :) Worked as a good deterrent for other people riding your bike though as they didnt want to end up tangled up in it and a bloody mess on the floor. Still dont know how you managed to ride it like that for so long.