Darren Hill, Injured

spode@thinkbikes

Hello All,

For anyone who cares, one of our key demo riders, Darren "Lee" Hill was injured over the weekend. Doing something quite simple, on something at most 2 foot high, he just put his foot down wrong. His knee dislocated and according to the doctors, the worst case they have ever seen of it.

news041403gg.jpg

This isn't HIS X-ray, but a similar one to give an idea of what happened. His Femur went straight over the top and will have snapped both his cruciate ligaments. 99.9% chance he'll need corrective surgery to reattach those, and he'll be out for at minimum a year :(

In his honour, I have plucked a hair from my chest and placed it neatly on my window sill. How many days it stays there will be the number prayers I shall utter onto the Gods of PennyWorth.

Edited by Spode

Not good at all mate.

Not to put a downer on things, but it's going to be mor elike two years i'd say. Maybe longer.

I've lost 18 months off snapping JUST my ACL. He's quite obviously damaged, and probably completely snapped his ACL, PCL, LCL and MCL. Along with this there will be mucles and tendon damage, and also highly likely, there will be substantial meniscal damage/cartilage damage.

It's gonna be a huge job, with a long slow recovery and a lot of life disruption. I wish him all the best. Think to the future, and things will pick up. It's out of his control and the only way to get through it is to think of the end. There is no point at all being pissed off with what's happened. It can't be changed. The only thing you can control is how you spend the time waiting. This is vital for good moral. You have to find a way to be excited about when you can ride again. It is hard but when it clicks, you'll be able to deal with the time.

Good luck fella.

Bongo

And i was bummed about doing my wrist and thought that was bad enough, this guys gone out in style could he of done much more wrong to his knee. I hope hes well soon, and enjoying hospital food as im guessing hes been kept in.

Ouchie Darren! That sounds painful, very painful. Gonna suck being off a bike for that long, but you'll get used to it, i hope.

Important question though, can you still give me that massage when we get round to it? If not, i think it's only fair if Spode fills in.

I wish you a quick recovery.

Edited by Fat Pants

i am thankfull i onley dislocated my kneecap.

geeeeeeeeeees thats nasty, any pics of it at the time?

Get well soon Darren!!

No pictures, this was in fact the only ride ive ever been on and not brought my camera

get well soon darren, ill call you as soon as i get my phone back

Not good at all mate.

Not to put a downer on things, but it's going to be mor elike two years i'd say. Maybe longer.

I've lost 18 months off snapping JUST my ACL. He's quite obviously damaged, and probably completely snapped his ACL, PCL, LCL and MCL. Along with this there will be mucles and tendon damage, and also highly likely, there will be substantial meniscal damage/cartilage damage.

It's gonna be a huge job, with a long slow recovery and a lot of life disruption. I wish him all the best. Think to the future, and things will pick up. It's out of his control and the only way to get through it is to think of the end. There is no point at all being pissed off with what's happened. It can't be changed. The only thing you can control is how you spend the time waiting. This is vital for good moral. You have to find a way to be excited about when you can ride again. It is hard but when it clicks, you'll be able to deal with the time.

Good luck fella.

Bongo

From the X-RAY above, I'd agree. But that X-ray is the wrong way around. His femur went over the top, rather than behind. A year will probably cover the healing, but then there's the rehab....

He's in hospital all weekend and then I think he's being sent home. I'm sure he'll read this thread soon. Thanks for all your replies :)

They have the technology, but they don't want to spend much...

The amount of injuries i've had mate, the NHS have had their work cut out, and to be honest, they've fixed me up pretty bloody well every single time.

Been good to me. Obviously i'd like to get it all done NOW! So waiting lists are about the only thing i can really complain about.

Bongo

I thought it was his arm that was injured. Really bad news Darren :( I'll pop up and offer my love + beer on one weekend if you guys are free. Pizza Go Go and bruvs that have been chucked in the river? Might cheer him up abit.

He did hurt his arm. LOL. But then this injury trumped it.

Just got in from visiting Darren in hospital - He's surprisingly chipper, even got up and had a crutch round with me for a bit! He's grateful for all the messages, and can't wait to get out of the hospital.

I'm surprised how well he seems to be taking it - seems dead focussed in the future nd getting better again which can only be a good thing!!

get well soon mate - we'll go for an XC ride in a year or so's time!!