The Lightest Czar In The World..?

AdamR28

Frame and bash, as new = 2044g

Frame no bash, saved 142g

No paint, saved 42g

Bashplate mounts off bb shell/downtube, saved 22g

Bashplate mounts off stays, head tube hole, one yoke plate machined out, saved 43g

Hole in top tube, other yoke plate machined out, general tidying, saved 16g

Corners off the rear dropouts off, general filing to bashplate mounts, saved 14g

More filing and grinding to various bits, saved 8g

Head tube ring reinforcements removed, saved 5g

Faced/reamed headtube and BB shell, saved 2g

Larger holes in dropouts, more head tube work (breathe holes into top and down tubes), scoop on BB shell, saved 15g

Shot blasting and anodising, saved 14g

Total saving 323g :)

Very interesting experiment! (Y)

It's really good that you actually weighted the frame between every step of the process, that's so instructive, that puts weight saving into another perspective! 42g just for paint! How can any pro frame come with paint at all?? How about most stickers? So much vanity! :lol:;)

To the person that said he'd crossed the line? What the hell, a line? :lol:

He's saved weight, not killed some people and used their stomach acid to clean his bike.

Looks cool, i don't take trials seriously enough to think that there is any point but there we go. :)

To be honest, if anyone was going to do this, it would of been Adam or Iolo and you've certainly done it to a damn high level.

eh.....I have some mixed feelings about it, it looks well nice, love the pure black frame and forks and white rims and bars, But I think it would be to light for me, as I would hurt my self riding a bike that light!

But more important Im not riding it and its what you like, but I think it looks the SEX! lol

Johny

bike looks good (Y)

just a wondering ,surely with the hole in the headtube it means that on a wet day water will gather at the bottom of the steerer tube ?and even if that doesnt happen do you have to dry the inside frame/headset out to stop rust appearing?

please don't get me wrong ,i think what you have done looks smart i just was curious if you've had problems with your frame adaption.

steve

Looks amazing. get a try-all on the back. much better

Heavier :wink2: haha.

with the hole in the headtube it means that on a wet day water will gather at the bottom of the steerer tube ?and even if that doesnt happen do you have to dry the inside frame/headset out to stop rust appearing?

It can do, all you need to do is drop the forks out and dry it down though. The frame won't rust because it's aluminium and its anodised.

Inspired by the Eastern Grim Reaper, or did you just think it through?

Looks cool either way. Couldn't you take half that bashring off too, or is that so you can slip to bash switch footed without wincing?

But yeah, like people have said, sidewall drilling might be fun. It'll look toss, but there we go :P

Inspired by the Eastern Grim Reaper, or did you just think it through?

Looks cool either way. Couldn't you take half that bashring off too, or is that so you can slip to bash switch footed without wincing?

But yeah, like people have said, sidewall drilling might be fun. It'll look toss, but there we go :P

Eastern Grim Reaper? Is that a BMX frame?

I could... but exactly what you said :P

Haha, I think it would look OK on black rims maybe... might do it if I can be arsed!

mid_211365.gif

That's the ti version, weighs about 2.5lbs.

GrimReaperFrontAngle.gif

GrimReaperSideRearView.gif

That's the steel version. Eastern hired a top NASCAR designer to do a shitload of CAD work and computer tests (FEAs 'n' shit I'd imagine) to work out where they could save weight. Apart from the v1 which had a faulty headtube gusset, none of them broke. On the V2 with the redesigned gusset, they just don't break at all, yet they're only 4.5lbs or something like that, which is pretty light for a BMX frame.

EDIT: Can't see it on those pics, but the bottom of the BB shell's got a gaping hole in it too.

• 3 years later...