Mac Problems

Spikenipple

I think the problem with a Mac is, you pay an extortionate price for a piece of hardware that solely runs one operating system (which is the same as Linux.)

I dont hate Mac's they look very nice but I couldn't justify paying 1,500 for a pretty laptop when you could pay 500 and get a faster laptop and run Linux. Or maybe I'm missing something?

That's the problem I'm facing.

I think the problem with a Mac is, you pay an extortionate price for a piece of hardware that solely runs one operating system (which is the same as Linux.)

I dont hate Mac's they look very nice but I couldn't justify paying 1,500 for a pretty laptop when you could pay 500 and get a faster laptop and run Linux. Or maybe I'm missing something?

That's the problem I'm facing.

Yeah you are because i payed 320 and i have an intel core 2 duo mac mini with all the trimmings. :P

Yes you can put you mac to sleep with the remote hold the play/pause, button for about 3 seconds and a snoring remote come up on the screen then it goes to sleep, then press it again to wake it up.

Then go to apple.com then click downloads then search remote, there are a few peices of softere that alow you to do more with the remote.

Hope i helped

Mac prices are not THAT extortionate. Yeah, you do pay a bit of a premium but more like 5-10% (compared to a comparable laptop from, say, Dell), not three times like you're saying. Some people might say it's worth it ;)

OS X is nothing like Linux. OK, it's based on the same thing, but they're totally different to use.

In reply to Nick.

This might be able to do it.

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mode=vie...19a70f5f34b926c

Or I remembered you can just hold down the play button on the remote to make it sleep.

Then read Rorys reply haha. That's what you get when you don't concentrate.

Edited by MonsterJ

If you want to make any sequence of keys or buttons do pretty much ANYTHING, download Quicksilver. It lets you definea sequence or combination of buttons to execute any string of commands or do something within a program.

For example, I've got Ctrl+Apple+Page Up/Page Down for Next/Previous on my iTunes...and this will work when you're in any program, without Quicksilver or iTunes selected.

Yeah I've got alt + space for play/pause, alt+left for prev. song and alt + right for next song.

I also use Virtue Desktops for my virtual desktop needs, which will become redundant once Leopard is out as Spaces will take over it's duty.

SlimBatteryMonitor is good for those with laptops + small screens, can completely customise the way that the battery monitor looks.

I also use iStat Menus to tell me temperature, RAM usage, CPU Usage, and as a clock, then I just dragged the Apple clock outta my menu bar (hold Apple and drag it off, this can also be used to move menubar objects around)

So yeah, links to the programs

Quicksilver: http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

Virtue Desktops: http://virtuedesktops.info/

SlimBatteryMonitor: http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/

iStat Menus: http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28

As I've been using Macs for the last 4 years of my life I've come to know how to use them fairly well, if you have any problems feel free to add me on msn, like Rory did a while ago, iamjonmack@googlemail.com

This isn't really a mac problem but it kinda is... And I know Jonmac uses the same phone as me with a mac.

Missing Sync for Windows Mobile (using the 14 day demo...)

Orange SPV M700

Apple Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

I have used this combo before to transfer my calendar from iCal to my phone, and it has worked fine. Now when I come to sync (via bluetooth), everything (address book, time, tasks) syncs apart from calendar. It just comes with error message and the log says this:

9/25/07 11:30:25  Monitor:  Listener: WM5Server:socketAcceptedIncoming while connected to device. Pending rapi=1
9/25/07 11:30:29  MSUI:  Mark/Space Calendar Events: NSRangeException *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (0) beyond bounds (0)

You ever had anything like this Jon?

I have a problem :(

Ive started to install Tiger onto my mac, however, I dont have all the discs, and forgot to select the option beforehand to only install the basic settings like i did previously. So, I have my mac stuck on the install mac os x startup thing. Ive tried restarting and all that holding C buisness, but Ive had no luck.

So anyone know how I can exit the Install???

No idea.

Any reason why you're not syncing via USB?

Because Bluetooth is easier and I don't have to find a cable :P

I've sorted it now - one of the iCal entries from over a year ago was corrupt and wouldn't sync. So I deleted everything older than 6 months from iCal and it works now. Huzzah!

"Mac OS X installation was interrupted and you can’t start up your computer.

Restart your computer while holding down the mouse or trackpad button to eject the

Install disc. Your computer may start up using the last system you were using. If it

doesn’t and you have another Mac OS system installed on your computer, restart your

computer while holding down the Option key to select a startup disk.

If your computer doesn’t start up this way, insert the Mac OS X Install disc in your

computer and hold down the C key while restarting your computer. Open Startup Disk

preferences and select a startup disk."

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Tiger_Ins...Setup_Guide.pdf

Page 14.

Apart from that I've no idea.