Mac Problems

Spikenipple

To be honest you're a bit screwed. If you've done half an installation, it will have already wiped what was on there originally. Your only real hope is to find the missing install disk, or get one from somewhere. Are you near an Apple store? Because the patronising Geniuses there may be able to help.

Got a question more than a problem but anyway...

How come sometimes when I turn on my MacBook the green light to the right of the built in camera comes on straight away and the only image I can get in Photobooth is a plain green one? Must admit i've not really tried anything to correct this since I never use it but i'm curious in case one day I need to.

Cheers,

Daniel

Try this...

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

If that doesnt work... I'm stuck :/

Try this...

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

If that doesnt work... I'm stuck :/

An easier way of doing this is:

Command+Option+O+F during bootup

Type: 'reset-all'

Hit enter

Your mac will reboot.

:D

it's a g5 one.

i tried the command option p r thing earlier on in the day, to no effect.

so i just turned it off and left it all day.

my dad went and turned it on this evening and it worked fine!!

so it must have worked, unless it just needed a breather, it is never turned off, would that make a difference?

I had a problem with my G5 last summer, it would randomly shut down.

I took it into the living room, took the back off, hoovered all the dust out of the fans and around the processor (there was shit loads), then turned it on, and left it overnight, and I havn't had any problems since, so if it plays up again, give that a go :)

When is 10.5 (leopard) coming out? Says october!

Also can anyone suggest a cheap (sub £60) external hardrive, 160gb minimum really. Must be small and only powered from firewire of usb, no extra power adapter.

Looked on amazon and this looks ok.....CLICK

lovelyyy! Well the 26th of october is my birthday!! wohooooooo

I wonder if I ring them up and tell them i'm a valued customer they'll give me a copy as a birthday present :P

Yeah?? Funny you should say that, my mates got the 160gb one and we plugged it in and it worked fine. Just the reviews of them haven't been that great. May try it anyway I think, get the 250gb one!

O you've tried leopard have you? is it a special one ;) you hear me

Awesome, definitely give them a ring and blag a free copy ;) haha. Well I got the 250GB one, took my macbook pro apart, swapped it for the 100GB in my MBP so now I have 250 in my laptop and 100 external, and I can honestly say it's awesome. It's even dropped in price since I bought it two weeks ago! They're really good drives and I've had no problems with mine, touch wood! Yeah it's a special copy :P but I'll be buying it when it comes out, for sure!

Ok one thing that REALLY f**ks me off about my MBP is the light sensor, hands over the right side by the screen and it goes dark, fair enough.

But when im typing its constantly going bring dark bring dark, doing it right now!!!

Anyway you can "lock" it to one brightness or whatever

Not really a problem, just a question:

When it's dark in my boudoir and my iMac is shut down but there's power going to it (i.e. from the mains), I'll see a dim green light coming from the underside of the screen, coming from behind the vent (there's lots of little circular shadows). What is this light?

I guess it can't be a bad thing, I suppose I should worry when I don't see it anymore.

It may well have been mentioned, but if you're wanting to rip DVD's (I'm sure it works fine on Windows PC's too) but Handbrake is absolutely awesome for the job. It's really easy to use, it's free, easy to customise and so far it's had no problems with any DVD's I've thrown at it, albeit, I've only had the program for about 5 days - 100% success rate though!