Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Software:

SafariSpeed 2 - gets rid of 1 second page delay put on safari by apple.

Safari Full screen thing (forgotten name) - makes safari full screen.

Roxio Toast titanium

Audio Hijack

Final Cut Studio 2 (fcp6, compressor, apple color, soundtrack etc)

handbrake

MacTheRipper

Flip4Mac

Not great atm, only had the mac a couple of weeks.

Guys, I'm about to buy a new MacBook. A majority of stuff I had on my Mac so far has been supplied by Work. Now, though, I have to buy it all myself.

What can you suggest, which is free ? That's really good, and very useful!

Cheers.

MacTheRipper for copying dvd's

Handbrake for converting vids/dvds to iPod format.

I also have something called iLike which is a plug-in for iTunes and suggests loads of music you might like depending on whatevers playing. It also comes up with loads of free mp3 downloads which every now and then un-covers some right gems.

What will you be primarily using your macbook for, might I ask?

Edited by James

Now to me, I could just either use spotlight which requires less clicks, or for programs, do to the dock?

Quicksilver works in basically the same way as spotlight but is waaaay more powerful. I have it set to ctrl + space (where spotlight is alt + space for me). It's quicker and it 'learns' stuff so your most frequently-used programs come up first.

I mainly use it for searching the web. Open Quicksilver, type 'w' (for wikipedia), then tab across to the search field, type whatever and press enter. It opens a new safari tab on wikipedia for whatever you searched. It'll search hundreds of sites besides wikipedia (google, google images, flickr, facebook, ultimate guitar etc). I've also set up shortcuts via QS - E.g. F8 is 'check new mail' and I use it to control iTunes.

It's just brilliant, you really do have to try it.

MacTheRipper for copying dvd's

Handbrake for converting vids/dvds to iPod format.

I also have something called iLike which is a plug-in for iTunes and suggests loads of music you might like depending on whatevers playing. It also comes up with loads of free mp3 downloads which every now and then un-covers some right gems.

What will you be primarily using your macbook for, might I ask?

Logic 8 Mastering, that's about it. Plus, website browsing and listening to music.

Why do you ask?

any way to remove the "this program is from the internets, you want to run it?" dialog when opening a program for the first time in leopard? it gets on my tits.

Surely it doesn't bother you THAT much? It's one click, and only the first time you run an app? :P

Surely it doesn't bother you THAT much? It's one click, and only the first time you run an app? :P

it's just one of those things i thought only windows had... 10.4 didn't have it and i loved it.

i just can't stand those "do you know what you're doing?" boxes. of course i bloody know what i'm doing. no shit i downloaded this app off the internet.

cheers for the link jon.

i just can't stand those "do you know what you're doing?" boxes. of course i bloody know what i'm doing. no shit i downloaded this app off the internet.

Yesterday, I found my mum trying to open some .exe (on her Windows PC) she'd just acquired from an unknown website. AVG was stopping her and she was wondering why... So I guess this feature is for people like her.

On the other hand, Leopard allows you to switch off the annoying 'Are you sure you want to change the file extension' popup. That one used to bug the hel out of me on 10.4.

how? i would love to!

Easy:

Finder > Preferences > Advanced > uncheck "Show warning before changing an extension"

To be honest, that's one of my top 5 reasons why Leopard is better than Tiger. All the supposed big improvements for Leopard (Coverflow, Quickview, Time Machine etc) are pretty cool but it's the little things that make the difference.

Right I have recently found my old 5g ipod and well its a little knackered. I got it when it first came out. the connetion to the computer is a little iffy but works if you hold it in. my problem is it accidently discconnected it self when it was pluged in charging and now its got the most horrible mono tone sound coming from the actul ipod. i cant turn it off and its froze to the screen with do not disconnect. so atm i am just waiting for the battery to die but is there any other way?

Is there any clever way of cleaning my mac's keyboard. It's a silver Powerbook (like the Macbook Pro's but older for those who don't know) and it's about 2 years old. Basically it's looking really dirty now from daily use, often (like now) with filthy hands. I can't just wash it, and I can't really scrub the keys without causing damage. I don't think the keys/keyboard come off, either. Ideas?

Is there any clever way of cleaning my mac's keyboard. It's a silver Powerbook (like the Macbook Pro's but older for those who don't know) and it's about 2 years old. Basically it's looking really dirty now from daily use, often (like now) with filthy hands. I can't just wash it, and I can't really scrub the keys without causing damage. I don't think the keys/keyboard come off, either. Ideas?

Hopefully you'll be able to find some useful tips, here.

James