Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Are Macs as susceptible to ad-ware and spy-ware as PCs are then? I know everyone says they're virtually immune to viruses, but do those count as viruses (virii or whatever the correct plural is :P) or are they seperate?

Same kettle of fish, you don't have to worry about spyware either.

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a 2nd hand MacBook (i know the new ones are coming out but I'm budgetting about £350/400 max so it doesnt make a difference). The only main specs that are must haves are 1gb+ Ram and Wireless built in. I dont mind the 1.8ghz processors, so that should help find a cheap one. I'm obviously trawling ebay, but does anyone know anywhere else I should look?

Also, when someone says they spilt water on their macbook, how likely is it that it could be fixed? There are some mega cheap ones going about and if they only need taking apart and drying properly then i'm happy to do that...

here are some mega cheap ones going about and if they only need taking apart and drying properly then i'm happy to do that...

Er, no. Just no. Someone has just spilt water on their laptop and ruined it, and you want to buy it? Please don't.

Er, no. Just no. Someone has just spilt water on their laptop and ruined it, and you want to buy it? Please don't.

Just a thought, because I knew Macs are built a hell of a lot better than PCs and maybe they were more resilient then the sellers thought? Obviously I know thats not the case now, cheers.

Yea, thanks for clarifying that simple point... (Y)

Again going down the "I need a bargain, will this be as easy as I think to fix?" route:

MacBook Pro 15" Amazing machine, this was bought used from a friend for basic office work. It has a few faults which need addressing, firstly the speakers dont seem to work and also the airport wifi internet does not work. Apart from this everything else seems to be in order. The internet does work on this machine via cable, but not with wifi, i know this machine has sound and wifi capabilities, because it is a high end machine. i have also tried to look for the devices using the menu ABOUT THIS MAC, but when i go to Audio (built in) it says no audio built in, and also the same for airport card- no information found!? this machine does have these features built in, it just needs somebody who knows these machines to play around, repair and they have a bargain on their hands! I personally dont have the time, patience or knowledge to repair or diagnose this machine. And i know for a fact that if i give it in to any company for repair they will charge me a arm an leg! Somebody is going to get a bargain, apart from very light scratches from daily use this machine is mint. It also includes a remote and magnetic charger cable, NO box or documentation!

sounds like a reinstall to me? is there any other reason both of these components would have gone.

I'm not normally this much of a tight git, but I wasn't planning on being burgled so I didnt save for this purchase..

It'll be a problem with the motherboard. Again, I'll bet the seller has tried to fix it, but failed.

You would be able to fix the wifi with an express card or USB adapter (I'm sure you could find one with mac drivers). Same with sound, you could get a USB sound card. But it's not ideal at all.

It'll be a problem with the motherboard. Again, I'll bet the seller has tried to fix it, but failed.

You would be able to fix the wifi with an express card or USB adapter (I'm sure you could find one with mac drivers). Same with sound, you could get a USB sound card. But it's not ideal at all.

I think you're overestimating the average student/computer owner there, as I know more people who would rather offload and upgrade than try to fix something which is not covered by warranty, than I know people who would give it a go themselves. Plus, I posted the whole listing and it makes no mention of trying to fix anything apart from looking for the devices - I would presume someone would put this information down if they had tried anything else.

Appreciate the reply anyway, thanks. Obviously just going through the possible fixes before spending the extra money..

Maybe you are overestimating the honesty of the average eBay user ;)

I would presume someone would put this information down if they had tried anything else.

Surely they'd keep quiet to give the impression they'd tried nothing? That way people might think it's easily fixable even though the seller knows it's f**ked. That's what I'd do...!

You might be right but it's a very risky strategy. Your money.

Just keep looking, I found a absolutely 10/10 mint condition Macbook Pro for £750, miles cheaper than the others I was looking at, and my friends failed to find one the same spec so cheap.

Just keep checking, and look for buy it now bargains that have 9 days left and such that people wouldn't have seen and snapped up.

• 2 months later...

My finder all of a sudden has started running slow after its been on for a few hours. All other apps are fine and switching between them's fine but finder runs and switches really slowly. I had an error message come up saying low memory on start disk, but i took a load of stuff off the HD and backed it up. Haven't had the error again.... but still slow finder.

Its running osx 10.5 and I Upgraded the ram to its max when i bought it so i dont think its that. Can anyone help?

My finder all of a sudden has started running slow after its been on for a few hours. All other apps are fine and switching between them's fine but finder runs and switches really slowly. I had an error message come up saying low memory on start disk, but i took a load of stuff off the HD and backed it up. Haven't had the error again.... but still slow finder.

Its running osx 10.5 and I Upgraded the ram to its max when i bought it so i dont think its that. Can anyone help?

It's best to do an Archive and install of the OS.

Since your startup disk was full, memory works a bit weird so even though you've erased it off the HD, it's still not in fighting fit condition kinda thing. Doing an Archive and Install from your Leopard install or original disks would do wonders for the system :)

will that uninstall anything on there or mess up my settings? (sorry im not very tech savy)

Doing an Archive and Install will get all your current files and settings, put them in a folder, wipe your system and put it back on. You need to go in to your previous versions folder to get your files but it's good for a spring clean.

If you have an external hard drive then back up your data on to that then do an Erase and Install which is wiping EVERYTHING then you can put your stuff back on from your backup on the EHD.

It's a bit of a ball ache but the best way to solve system speed problems.

Nick

1. Is there a program to download to erase whatever is on a CD? I had one before but lost it due to my hard drive failure but forgotten what it was called.

2. Is there a way to run my iTunes library on an external HD without having to keep any files on my laptop HD?