Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Just had a bit of a scare......

Had my macbook pro in my room playing music running off the battery and suddenly the screen went VERY dark. When I adjusted the brightness nothing happened, I could just about make out the screen but not enough to do anything.

Restared the laptop, still exactly the same. Was thinking that the feckin LED had gone in the screen, godddd.

Plugged the charger in, shut it down, closed the screen, opened it, ON, now it's perfectly fine.

What the hell could have happened??

You can buy the iPhone on pay as you go I believe. At around £350, it isn't so bad relative to the price of the iPod Touch. I hear the battery life is god-awful*. Though it wouldn't surprise me if these people had the brightness on full and used the internet when they're at home next to a computer...

I'll wait 'til the nano arrives methinks ;)

*I.e. around 1 -> 3 days before it needs a charge.

The only thing that's stopping me is that I can't get over the feeling that a lot of people who buy iPhones are posey tossers (No offense Joel). I'm not the kind of person who would ever get their phone out and leave it on the table at the pub to show it off, mind, but I almost think having an iPhone stigmatises you in that way. I'm not the kind of person that likes having expensive stuff to show off, but then again I know I'd enjoy having the internet and stuff like on the iPhone.

My current plan is to get it and do a ghetto sticker job all over it. I think that would work. Plus it would hopefully upset the posey tossers.

Haz - Explain?

Who gives a f**k, are you honestly gonna tell me that your not going to purchase a product YOU want because of what other people think

TOMMMMMMMMMM thats disgraceful, i didnt think you were one of those pricks that cares about that sort of stuff.

You want the phone for what it does not how it looks so that doesnt make u a flashy tosser *yes there are lot about and i know several, there all wankers* but as long as u dont do what they do (pull out there phone every 5 mins in full view of everyone, extending there pinky pointer as long as physically possibe to unlock it) they ull be fine

get one.

get one.

Already have one. It's ace. The battery life is bad if you're used to a normal phone which can do 4-5 days. It'll do a day comfortably, but probably not 2 (unless you switch it off at night or something, which I don't). But that's about the same as my last phone (Windows Mobile) and a lot is to do with how much you use it. I can get my email, browse the web, use it as an iPod, play games, check the stock markets (?!) which means I'm using it twice as much as I would use a normal phone. So I'm happy with the battery life. It's my new favourite thing, I think it's brilliant. But I am already aware that I'm harping on about it to everyone so I'll stop :)

They're not all that, really.

Yes, they are.

Just had a bit of a scare......

Had my macbook pro in my room playing music running off the battery and suddenly the screen went VERY dark. When I adjusted the brightness nothing happened, I could just about make out the screen but not enough to do anything.

Restared the laptop, still exactly the same. Was thinking that the feckin LED had gone in the screen, godddd.

Plugged the charger in, shut it down, closed the screen, opened it, ON, now it's perfectly fine.

What the hell could have happened??

Same happened to my MB.

By chance, did you have it on all day, possibly a majority of it in standby? Mine does this if it's in standby for more than 4 hours without a re-boot. Guys at Applecare don't have a clue what makes it happen. Probably the logic board.

I've used a few and I'm not really fussed on them, maybe it's because I get texts, email from my 3 accounts, weather, music and the internet on my phone already.

I dunno, it's not the features that make it awesome, it's the implementation. My Windows phone would do all that stuff, but it was horrible to use and I just got pissed off with it all the time. The screen was unresponsive so typing out texts took twice as long as it should have because you have to go back and correct the mistakes. Half the time you could use your finger, half the time you had to use the stylus. The iPhone takes all the hate stuff and turns it upside down so it's actually good to use.

Mine does this if it's in standby for more than 4 hours without a re-boot.

WTF, that's rubbish. I never shut my Powerbook down, I only sleep it when I'm not using it. I occasionally restart it for software updates, but that's it. A laptop without the ability to sleep? Pfft.

Tomm, I know what you mean, my Trinity was shit, but my touch diamond is actually f**king rad.

Yeah, to be fair I thought that might be the case, haven't tried the Diamond. It looks nice though. If it could run a better OS (Android?!) then it would be worth considering, as it's a lot cheaper than the iPhone. I just hated Winmob with a passion and the iPhone presses all the right buttons.

• 1 month later...

Right got a problem, my mac seems to be playing up recently. Repeatedly closing programs, (safari, windows messenger, Adium, Dreamweaver, Photoshop) for no reason :S Then offering me the ''the program closed unexceptionally, write a report send it to apple. Anyone got any ideas what it might be? I mean this is happening way more than id expect, as in id already wrote all this out and it closed kinda of thing? Seems to only started happening the last 24h or so? Wasn't sure if it would be some kind of spyware/virus ? Any help appreciated :(

How long since you restarted? Have you checked for software updates recently? Is there anything suspicious looking in Activity Monitor (Apps > Utilities > Activity Monitor)?

Restarted earlier today, all software is up to date. Im not quiet sure what should be in there,

But ive got: Mdimport, Alerts Daemon, Activity Monitor, iTunes, Safari, SystemUIServer,UserNotificationCentre, Finder

AppleSpell,Microsoft Messanger Daemon, iCalAlarmScheduler, Speech Synthesis Server, YbuversakAccessApp, Dock

launchd, pbs, loginwindow,ATSServer

Just as I've been writing this up, ive got this message.

Alerts daemon has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Send Dont send ?

This aint a problem.

My mate at college brings his macbook in sometimes, today he showed us a screensaver where water filled up the screen and there were fish, andif you tilted the screen the water tilted to remain parallel with the ground!

I was surprised there was even a motion sensor in the macbook, why would you ever think of putting one in, other than for show like that?

I was surprised there was even a motion sensor in the macbook, why would you ever think of putting one in, other than for show like that?

It's so if it detects a knock or a fall, it moves the hard drive heads so there's no damage to the data when it hits the floor. So if it gets knocked off a table or something, it stands a better chance of surviving.