Mac Problems

Spikenipple

Right guys, give me all you've got.

I've never owned a Mac before, but fancy getting one and i've got loads of spare money and im 16 so nothing to pay for, so ...

The white Macbook (like £700), any good?

Any warnings/ things to look out for before i go and buy one?

Just thought i'd ask before spending £700 odd.

Cheers, Ben

The white macbooks are great, but get apple care. Although I've only had one issue with mine, more are cropping up now it's a year old.

The white also fades, so make sure you keep it ultra clean!

Other than that, you're set to enjoy your mac! :)

Plus, the battery is awesome if you look after it. (I got 9 hours out of it when only watching movies on low brightness when I went over to Europe!)

Find a university student to get you 14% off and super cheap AppleCare if you buy it in store, or free Applecare except the phone support if you order through the telephone education store.

I would be tempted not to get the plastic one because although they've just been updated recently, the plastic external casing discolors, and cracks super easy. I'd try get a student to get the discount and then you can look at the Aluminum one which is £949 (less 14%) makes it 816.14. Although those prices are with old VAT not new one.

That's my opinion.

Ok cheers guys,

So if I get my sister, who's a student to order it on that phone store, she'd get 14% off and free applecare?

I get john lewis discount so that's not a big deal, it just seems this AppleCare would be sensible.

Also, for everytime I used he AppleCare, would it be in her name?

Ben

Ok cheers guys,

So if I get my sister, who's a student to order it on that phone store, she'd get 14% off and free applecare?

I get john lewis discount so that's not a big deal, it just seems this AppleCare would be sensible.

Also, for everytime I used he AppleCare, would it be in her name?

Ben

Oh I've got a MacBook Pro for sale if it might take your fancy? Here's some details if you're interested..

15" Anti-glare widescreen (customised option)

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250 GB 5400 RPM

CD and DVD Rewriter

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB

Extras

Applecare cover until 14/06/2010 - Upgraded memory does not void AppleCare since it is a user replaceable part.

Other Features:

Backlit Keyboard, iSight Webcam, WiFi (Airport Extreme), Bluetooth. iColor fitted by an Apple Certified Technician.

Operating System and Software

⁃ Leopard 10.5. (Clean Install)

⁃ Microsoft Office 2008

⁃ iWork 2009

⁃ iLife' '08 (iPhoto, Garageband, iDVD, iMovie and iWeb)

⁃ Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection

Please be aware that the software is included, and back-up disks of the software are also included, however original disks are not provided.

Additional items with this sale:

⁃ 85W Apple Magsafe Charger

⁃ Apple Remote

⁃ DVI to VGA Adapter

⁃ Polishing Cloth

⁃ Original Box

I'm expecting offers around £850.00 but will take a bit less because it's through TF.. Postage not included.

n559775427_2452996_8180.jpg

n559775427_2452997_8481.jpg

n559775427_2452998_8731.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, got an Airport Extreme today and im having a right nightmare! I can connect no problem to my G5 wirelessly, but we need to connect my Dad's PC via ethernet and there is a conflict in IPs or something and it cant even connect to the AirPort Extreme properly. I went for something called a 'bridge' in setup? Ive no idea really what im doing, any help would be much appreciated! Need to get my Dad's computer linked to the net again by Monday at 7am haha! Thanks!

EDIT: S'alright, rang Apple, all fixed! :D

Edited by Jonny Jones

• 3 weeks later...

Right, since 2 days ago (I believe around the time when I installed a software update for a number of things including 10.5.6) my mac has been going batshit insane. For a start the top bar is having discolouration problems which I originally thought might have been a burn in but noticed it was infact part of the rendering, so I assume this is a graphics artifact and could signal the end of my GPU? Here's the screenshot.

picture2f.png

In addition to this it's spent the last 2 days locking itself into one application and not letting me click any others. It seems to be fine now though? I have done nothing to it.

Finally, I want to try an archive install, but the DVD drive on my mac is buggered and after some searching today I couldn't find anywhere in Oxford with an external DVD drive for under £80, which I can't be bothered to stretch to if I'm not even sure if it's going to work. Is there any way to perform an archive install without a DVD? (I have still got them)

You can do an install with an external hard drive. If it's a PPC mac, then you may need a firewire drive, otherwise a USB one will be fine. What are you trying to do? Copy Leopard onto a hard drive and run the setup off that? That will work fine - you have to hold something down at boot to boot from the USB drive. I can't remember what it is, so you'll have to google that. You might also have to make a partition on the external drive in the Apple file system, and extract the DVD iso onto that. I'm not sure - google for more information.