Old School Trials

Sonny Clarke

hi

check out www.monty.es it hasd a history of trials basilcy it was started a long time ago by differnet people on bikes they modified them selfs then oneday ot pi senior came along and created the firsty monty trials bike from then trials has evolved in differnt ways to the sport you see know there are also alot of things that happened inbettween that time wich have made trials what it is today .

hi

check out www.monty.es it hasd a history of trials basilcy it was started a long time ago by differnet people on bikes they modified them selfs then oneday ot pi senior came along and created the firsty monty trials bike from then trials has evolved in differnt ways to the sport you see know there are also alot of things that happened inbettween that time wich have made trials what it is today .

http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/17267/506/2

http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/17267/506/3

Please read those pages.

@PaRtZ: you rode with that chain!? :blink:

B)

it lasted surprisingly well. Didn't snap it for the duration I had the bike. the headset bearings/components went first :P

also dont forget www.wikipedia.co.uk Theres some old school stuff in there too

Depends how oldschool you wanna go...

I was around at the time when everyone bought Saracen X-Ile frames and pimped them up into trials bikes. Back when Pashley had just brought out the 26MHz. We all had bikes with 32T rings and DH bars that you could jump as well as trial (for the record I've built up a Base TA26 along those lines recently; pics on their way, stay tuned). Dayglo yellow maguras were the order of the day in the brakes department, and if your tyres weren't Tioga Factory DHs or IRC Kujos (or later El Gatos), you may as well have gone home. There were a lot of Zaskars and DS1s around that time as well. Montys and Megamos were like rocking horse shit in the UK; if you wanted a mod you had to either spend forever finding one, or special order the Hans Rey GT mod. We could all recite most of the commentary and interviews from Chainspotting word for word. Trials was a lot more closely related to mountain biking in general - we'd be out riding with guys on DH and freeride (which was a new concept back then) rigs regularly.

Things were different back then - the whole tone of the trials community has changed massively, and the riding has come a LONG way...but it was still more fun back then for some reason. Bouncing around on massive bikes and sidehopping OFF stuff.

</nostalgia>

I was around at the time when everyone bought Saracen X-Ile frames and pimped them up into trials bikes. Back when Pashley had just brought out the 26MHz. We all had bikes with 32T rings and DH bars that you could jump as well as trial (for the record I've built up a Base TA26 along those lines recently; pics on their way, stay tuned). Dayglo yellow maguras were the order of the day in the brakes department, and if your tyres weren't Tioga Factory DHs or IRC Kujos (or later El Gatos), you may as well have gone home. There were a lot of Zaskars and DS1s around that time as well. Montys and Megamos were like rocking horse shit in the UK; if you wanted a mod you had to either spend forever finding one, or special order the Hans Rey GT mod. We could all recite most of the commentary and interviews from Chainspotting word for word. Trials was a lot more closely related to mountain biking in general - we'd be out riding with guys on DH and freeride (which was a new concept back then) rigs regularly.

Things were different back then - the whole tone of the trials community has changed massively, and the riding has come a LONG way...but it was still more fun back then for some reason. Bouncing around on massive bikes and sidehopping OFF stuff.

</nostalgia>

Ahhh memories!

I started about the same time.

And yeah, it was a lot more fun back then, maybe because I actually had a crew then rather than riding alone.

Personally anything Pashley, Onza, etc I would call new school. Old school I'd personally say as being 1996 and before, because that's when a large proportion of pro riders were still on XC frames, and there was little choice in trials-specific components. Also interesting is the fact that hard sections/moves then are commonplace on the streets of virtually every town in the country today!!

</nostalgia>

Yep... back in the days when i first started. My first bike was a Sunn team issue. Rode with guys on Zaskers or rocket frames. When i as in my early to mid thirty's instead of early 40's !!!

Now i have just got back into it i am riding a Giant team frame... very old school compared to todays frames. But feels more like my mototrials bike in stance so will do the job until i learn to actually ride anything bigger than 4 pallets high :D